2001 TDI automatic beetle

john jacob

TDI
VW beatle TDI 2002
Limp mode
My daughters VW is stuck in the limp mode.
Code 00270 7N94
36 open
The shifter solenoid harness was damaged. Corroded below the in line connector.
I ordered a new harness, with new solenoids. I had a VW mechanic install it all.
The code remains. Still in the limp mode.
He then replaced the computer from a recycled car. (ECU) I think the term is. He thought the shorted harness may have damaged the computer. This still did not fix the problem. Same codes.
7N94

Any thought would be appreciated. We are both stumped.
I hate to junk the car. 2001 with 245k
John Jacob

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Search for 01M transmission threads here for author CoolAirVW or google 01M transmission solenoids, so you can identify which one it is, and check continuity of the wires through to the TCM.

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
Ironically, we have a 2001 beetle for our daughter as well that recently went into limp mode . After throwing a bunch of parts and cash at it and almost giving up it turned out to be throttle pedal assembly . It wasn't letting the transmission shift . Daughter was very happy to get her car back .

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Make sure the mechanic is clearing the code(s) from the TCM not just the ECU with a scan tool (VCDS) capable of reading VW specific control modules.
The reasoning of replacing an ECU w/o some solid evidence seems to be the "throw parts at it and hope to get lucky" approach.

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
Yes , first we replaced the transmission speed sensor , twice . The first new one was bad . Then we moved on to the throttle pedal assembly . Runs like a champ ,shifts like it should .