DIY: 2" Lift Kit for Under $40 - EASY!

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Dude, jcil, have to say I thought the same exact thing as tdicadguy. You said that upgrading the wheel size by 1" would give you 1" of lift. It has nothing to do with the wheel size, really. Obviously as you know a taller tire is what is going to give you the lift, which, btw, you can do with 15" tires also.

If you plan on adding a full 2" of diameter to your tires (since of course you only raise the vehicle half the gain in tire height increase), do your research to avoid crazy rubbing in the fender wells. I think a guy made a chart of tested tire size increases and what fits and what doesn't, hopefully it's easy to find. But 2" larger diameter is a lot.
Sorry if I was not clear to eveeryone I mean 2" overall lift so I am only looking to get an extra 1" from the tires, but I want to go to 16" so the handeling side to side is not too sloppy.

What do you think of the following?
Stock Tire - 195/65R15 >Search Tires Tire 1 - 205/60R16 >Search Tires Tire 2 - 215/65R16 >Search Tires Section Width:7.67 in195 mmSection Width:8.07 in205 mmSection Width:8.46 in215 mmRim Diameter:15 in381 mmRim Diameter:16 in406.4 mmRim Diameter:16 in406.4 mmRim Width Range:5 - 7 inRim Width Range:5.5 - 7.5 inRim Width Range:6 - 7.5 inOverall Diameter:24.98 in634.49 mmOverall Diameter:25.68 in652.27 mmOverall Diameter:27.00 in685.8 mmSidewall Height:4.99 in126.74 mmSidewall Height:4.84 in122.93 mmSidewall Height:5.50 in139.7 mmRadius:12.49 in317.24 mmRadius:12.84 in326.13 mmRadius:13.50 in342.9 mmCircumference:78.47 in1993.1 mmCircumference:80.67 in2049.0 mmCircumference:84.82 in2154.4 mmRevs per Mile:832.6Revs per Mile:809.9Revs per Mile:770.3Actual Speed:60 mph100 km/hSpeedometer1:58.3 mph97.2 km/hSpeedometer1:55.5 mph92.5 km/hSpeedometer Difference: -Speedometer Difference: 2.802% too slowSpeedometer Difference: 8.087% too slowDiameter Difference: -Diameter Difference: 2.73%Diameter Difference: 7.49%

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I wouldn't have jumped to conclusions if your post had been more clear. The way you worded it made it sound like you would get an inch of lift by going to 16" wheels. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you out.

215/65/16's are going to be a real tight fit, especially on springs alone and definitely when those springs start to sag...which they will. You will also get considerable tire rub at full lock.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I wouldn't have jumped to conclusions if your post had been more clear. The way you worded it made it sound like you would get an inch of lift by going to 16" wheels. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you out.

215/65/16's are going to be a real tight fit, especially on springs alone and definitely when those springs start to sag...which they will. You will also get considerable tire rub at full lock.
Sorry, I misunderstood you please accept my appologies. Do you know what I could be safe with as I want to put on the Houston Bettle wheels they have a greater offset and wanted to know if I would have to go with a 205 or 215 /65/16 or play it safe with a 205 or 215 / 60/ 16 Name: HoustonSize: 16" X 6.5"Bolt Pattern: 5 X 100mmOffset: 42mmPart Number: 1C0 601 025ACBare Rim Weight: 21.60 lbsFound On: 2006 New BeetleCenter Cap Part Number: 1J0 601 171

Going from Name: MontereySize: 15" X 6"Bolt Pattern: 5 X 100mmOffset: 38mmPart Number: 1C0 601 025F Bare Rim Weight: 19.85 lbsFound On: 2003 - 2004 JettaCenter Cap Part Number: 1J0 601 171

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If you wanted to get really into it you would have to change your TB based on your town vs hyw driving as well based on the amount of RPM's the engine has ran based on the previous post. Kind of why I am going 7K early.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
From what I have been reading is you can get two inches from a spacer. An inch from bigger springs and another inch from larger tires. That is a common thing. I think 3 inches (other then the tire lift part) for the front is max because of the passenger drive shaft will hit the frame that the control arm bolts up to. Rear could maybe go higher but it would look really weird and I am sure there is limits there as well.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Honestly I am more concerned with rear height. When I pull my trailer I lose so much clearance, particularly in the rear of the car with the hitch. It takes what? 20 minutes to swap out the rear springs. I am looking for something I can install when I am going to tow my heavier trailer.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Honestly I am more concerned with rear height. When I pull my trailer I lose so much clearance, particularly in the rear of the car with the hitch. It takes what? 20 minutes to swap out the rear springs. I am looking for something I can install when I am going to tow my heavier trailer.
I have a used set of jetta wagon rear springs if you want them.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
how about air bags. Do a search someone used them in a wagon.
x2 air spring helpers... I have a kit from air lift installed in the rear which firms things up when pressurized but can be left at 5psi the rest of the time. Click the link in my signature and click on "rear air lift". Very cheap (79.95?) and very reliable and very quick to change the the height/firmness/level of the rear.

I am thinking of adding a home made 1" spacer with the air lift kit for extra height even tho I allready have the "taller" of the two air lift kits that I have heard of people using in their Mk4 rear ends.

edit: over time I guess the bags have either softened up, formed better to the springs, or I have gotten used to them, they seem less harsh from when I first got them, then again, I let them down to 4 psi now when I at first I had them at 10 to 20 with no load in the back just because I loved the rake. Another reason to add a spacer.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Narf, how is the ride now that u have had them in for a while? How are they holding up?
They are perfect after two years. No leaks. Ride is slightly firmer than stock. They really shine when I drop the big camper on the hitch and I pump them up to 40psi and the car nearly levels out perfectly and the car just feels totally planted instead of saggy and bottoming out. 1" lift combined with the tall bags would give the car a slightly forward rake at all times that I personally prefer to see. I can't stand to see cars that are sagging in the rear.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
x2 air spring helpers... I have a kit from air lift installed in the rear which firms things up when pressurized but can be left at 5psi the rest of the time. Click the link in my signature and click on "rear air lift". Very cheap (79.95?) and very reliable and very quick to change the the height/firmness/level of the rear.

I am thinking of adding a home made 1" spacer with the air lift kit for extra height even tho I allready have the "taller" of the two air lift kits that I have heard of people using in their Mk4 rear ends.

edit: over time I guess the bags have either softened up, formed better to the springs, or I have gotten used to them, they seem less harsh from when I first got them, then again, I let them down to 4 psi now when I at first I had them at 10 to 20 with no load in the back just because I loved the rake. Another reason to add a spacer.
My plan is to add airbags as well. honestly, I pull a pop-up camper. It is fine on the highway but sucks when I get on a dirt or gravel road. The road is fine and then I pull into a campsite (non-improved campsite, no paying here). Some of these roads are rutted, dirt, mud, etc. Nothing crazy, the car can handle it fine but the lack of clearance at the hitch makes it really "fun". LOL

I have a set of VR6 springs that I just put in. My normal setup is the Eibach Pro Kit (337/20th/GLI ) springs.
I would really like to throw some Shine Springs in there. Thinking the lift with VR springs paired with airbags to limit sag when I have the trailer.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
How high has everyone gone?

I'm looking at some more height for towing
get some rear german towing springs form idparts dot com and beef up the front ones and you will get a better setup to tow.:)

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The towing springs are an option. I honestly don't know how much the front needs beefed up. The front lifts in the air a bit (maybe not in the air but higher) from the rear sagging so much. I am going to try some airbags and go from there.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
The towing springs are an option. I honestly don't know how much the front needs beefed up. The front lifts in the air a bit (maybe not in the air but higher) from the rear sagging so much. I am going to try some airbags and go from there.
airbags give a much rougher ride and do not last as long as towing springs, if you do it why not do it right and get TOWING springs for TOWING instead of masking the problem with airbags dealing with an air system, air leaks, punctured bags and the non forgiving ride :confused: the towing springs you can get for less than the cost of an air system with no maintenance http://www.idparts.com/catalog/adva...ing+springs&osCsid=cenphk66hdfnatbk7mujrfakc4

$295:)

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because I don't tow that often. If I towed every day I would do it right and buy a truck. Since I might tow 14 days out of the year, I think airbags are a great option.

The ride won't be bad since you don't have to put them full of air all the time.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I would agree that replacing the springs with an expensive air bag system with compressor and fittings and valves would not make sense just for towing....

The Air Lift systems are "spring helpers" that fit inside the springs and simply connect to a standard air valve stem that you can pump up with a bicycle tire pump if you like. Nothing fancy. I've had mine for two years and 50,000km with no leaks. The owner's manual actually claims that they will "last indefinitely" and they offer a lifetime warranty on the bags.

How is it possible that the towing springs do not have a harsher ride than regular springs?

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
I would agree that replacing the springs with an expensive air bag system with compressor and fittings and valves would not make sense just for towing....

The Air Lift systems are "spring helpers" that fit inside the springs and simply connect to a standard air valve stem that you can pump up with a bicycle tire pump if you like. Nothing fancy. I've had mine for two years and 50,000km with no leaks. The owner's manual actually claims that they will "last indefinitely" and they offer a lifetime warranty on the bags.

How is it possible that the towing springs do not have a harsher ride than regular springs?
depends on the shock you use like the Bilstein Hd's give it a sporty feel.

Last edited:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Plus the bags I ordered are roughly $70. Those springs are $300 for the REARS ONLY.
I am just tired of the Walmart mentality that is all "cheaper is better" not to say that you have it. I guess that if you don't like them you would only be out $70.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get the 80777 from amazon? They don't list the 80753s and I cant find them on airlifts site.

Yes, they literally just showed up on my door! :D

JCILFOREVER

I don't really think this is Wal-Mart Mentality. These are a quality product made by a company that has been doing this for a long time.

I am not doubting that the springs you have work great, but I just can't justify $150 per spring right now.