MK4 wheel adapters

Mike Hall

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
I picked up a 2000 MK4 goft TDI last week and I have sure been enjoying it. It does however need some tires ASAP. I have a set of 17" long beach Jetta wheels on it now and I really like the 17" look better than the stock 15" wheels. Even more appealing to me would be the 17" Audi A3 wheels which I had on my passsat. These wheels are 7.5" x 17" with a 56mm offset. The long beach wheels are a 7"x 17 with 38mm offset. My question is if I ordered a set of those dang costly 20mm offsets from ECU tuning would these 7.5" wheels fit without any issues? The tire width would remain the same which would be the 225/45/R17 as what I have on the Long beach wheels. What I am getting at is there would only be 2mm differnce in wheel offset with the adapters so if the wheels were the same width there would be no issues or I assume that to be the case but with .5" wider rim I am not so sure. Anyone care to chime in? I would sure like to use these Audi wheels.

I am still researching this and only thing I can find so far is that there are MK4 cars running around with 17x7.5 wheels do not look like they would have any issues but I have yet to find anyone who address adapting the A3 wheels for use on a Golf. I do not want them to stick out, i would rather them look factory if possible. BTW, I have no plans to lower the car or anything like that but even still I want to avoid any scrubbing issues that may come with the wider wheels.

Thanks
Mike

Mike Hall

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
Yep, this is what I want.....I just took measurements of both wheels and there is no doubt these A3 wheels will work great with some 20mm spacers maybe even 25mm Spacers (adapters). The A3 wheel is exactly 10mm wider or I should say the mounted tire is. I guess that could vary depending on what tire I use but even if it varied twice that, it would still work. The audi wheels have so much more offset than the VW wheels that I think this is going to work out just about perfect.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I went for oversize tires, and IIRC correctly, the 15# rims were about 5mm offset more than stock. The real thing to pay attention to is the lug bolt pattern. All 5x100? I wanted to push the tires closer to the fender arch, clearance problems are most likely to occur on the inside of the tire in hard turning.

Dig around on Ebay, I found an offset set (10mm & 20mm rear) for ~ $100. CNC machined aluminium and 57mm hub. Do get longer lug bolts and make sure they match the wheels. VW has a ball seat, my current rims are cone, 60 degrees. Interestingly the XX10 rims I found on Craigslist had been installed with ball seat lugs, which had distorted the seat. The kid I bought them from one was clueless. I did find an appropriate size countersink and reamed them out back to the original 60 degrees.

Widening the track on my car made an appreciable handling improvement BTW. And the lighter rim/tire combintion helped
a lot too, unsprung, and rotational, weight.

But if you're after cosmetics, answer me this, "Can you see your wheels when you drive?"

Cheers,
R*2 <--- Go, not Show {:eek:)

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I think the bigger item here which I didn't see mentioned is the different bolt patterns. The 5x100 Longbeach wheels & the 5x112 Audi A3 wheels.

ECS does sell 5x100 to 5x112 adapters that would also help with the offset differences, but I think you could be well on your way to new(er) tires for what 2 axles worth of quality adapter/spacers will cost.

But if that's the route you want to go, check out vwvortex I'm pretty sure you could find a used set for sale there.

Mike Hall

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
When I mentioned spacers I meant adapters. :) That is why some of my dang ebay search only resulted in spacers. hahaha I knew that these wheels were on my Passat and that it had the 5x112 pattern. I had determined that there were adapters down to 20mm which would actually allow me to mount the wheels but i was unsure of the wider rim and how it would cause the tire fit different. I am now totally comfortable with the fact that using 20mm adapters would result in moving the wheel/tires edge outward about .27" and of course just over .125" inward due to the difference in width. Plenty of room from all the measurements I took.

The issue now is which adapters to get. I really like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/132314763231 and they look exactly like the ECUtuning adapters. There are not that many 20mm adapters out and for sure not many that are reasonably prices. So I need two good used Congenital tires to replace the two bad tires $100-$120 and $160 in wheel adapters with the bonus of nothing having a damaged wheel plus the better looking wheels. One of the Long beach wheels had bad curb rash on the lip and even on the face of the rim itself.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Mike,

There you go! Should work fine. Looks like the mounting bolts end up flush with the face of the adapter, and they're hubcentric both sides.
Enjoy!

My aftermarket rims already had the 2 patterns drilled out.
Ie, they'll mount on 5x100 or 5x112.5, 10 holes around the hub.
Rim mounting gets much more complicated than it first appears ehhh.

Cheers,
R*2