Sturgeon Bay,WI Cruise/GTG Fall 2017

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Well, the Grinch stole Christmas… Found out the injectors were shipped today and won’t be here until Monday. The guy doing the works not too happy about it either but what are you gonna do? Sorry I’m gonna miss this weekend. I guess I could bring my mint condition 1997 Mazda Miata with 31,000 original miles! But that would be weird.
Good luck guys save a spot for me next year.
Well that sucks to hear.:( I was really hoping they were going to show up in time for you to be able to bring the Beetle to the cruise/gtg.

You're more than welcome to come to the cruise/gtg in the Miata:D to me as long as you're into cars, you're more than welcome to come and join in the fun. Feel free to invite anyone else that might be interested in attending.

Cruse start time is just past 9:00?
Thanks
Yeah, we usually start around 9:15. That way there's a little bit of leeway and people can bring their dish to pass into the shop versus having it roll around their back seat.:p

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I just placed an order for a dozen hamburgers, so hopefully between the burgers and lovemybug's brats there will be plenty for everyone. I can bring ketchup and utensils for cooking the food, if someone can bring napkins or a roll of paper towel to clean the hands either before eating if they've been wrenching...or after they're done eating:)

If someone has the time to play with the torsion value on my Jetta would be awesome, since I've been having a hard start issue for the past couple of months.:(

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I just placed an order for a dozen hamburgers, so hopefully between the burgers and lovemybug's brats there will be plenty for everyone. I can bring ketchup and utensils for cooking the food, if someone can bring napkins or a roll of paper towel to clean the hands either before eating if they've been wrenching...or after they're done eating:)
If someone has the time to play with the torsion value on my Jetta would be awesome, since I've been having a hard start issue for the past couple of months.:(
Got your paper towels
Bags of chips
Case of water
..and a cherry kringle for breakfast :)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Adley and I will be there at 9:00AM in the TT! We'll have to leave by 11:30 at the latest to make it to Iola on time for the pre-ride. Sorry we won't be able to hang out much after the cruise or eat with you guys, but will at least get to go on the cruise.

See you in the morning!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Adley and I will be there at 9:00AM in the TT! We'll have to leave by 11:30 at the latest to make it to Iola on time for the pre-ride. Sorry we won't be able to hang out much after the cruise or eat with you guys, but will at least get to go on the cruise.

See you in the morning!
Awesome! I'm excited to see the TT in action. Unfortunately you're going to be the only AWD TDI on the cruise, since the RTDI went into limp mode the other day and after looking up the code it looks like it's the MAP sensor that is causing the issue.
The plan was to take the 4 BAR MAP sensor out of the Jetta and try it out in the RTDI after the cruise since we ran out of time to swap it.
It's probably for the best with the amount of smoke the car puts out wouldn't make it very pleasant for everyone following behind us. lol

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks to Eric for putting this together. It was my first time attending the cruise portion of one of the GTG's and it was awesome. Everyone's seen the car ads on TV where the car is driving through the twisty, tree lined road with leaves flying up all over. Pretty much just like that. I just wish I could have stayed longer.

Hope everyone had a good lunch at the shop, got some things done and had a safe trip home.

Thanks again Eric for coordinating all of this!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to Eric for putting this together. It was my first time attending the cruise portion of one of the GTG's and it was awesome. Everyone's seen the car ads on TV where the car is driving through the twisty, tree lined road with leaves flying up all over. Pretty much just like that. I just wish I could have stayed longer.

Hope everyone had a good lunch at the shop, got some things done and had a safe trip home.

Thanks again Eric for coordinating all of this!
I'm glad you were able to make it for the cruise portion. We couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise(65 and sunny) along with the trees being in their prime colors it was perfect. We ended up going all the way to the tip of Door County, but ran out of time to take the ferry to Washington Island:p

Hopefully you guys were able to make it to Iola Matt in time for the biking event. Did you run with the top down all the way to Iola, since it was a perfect day to do that?

We cooked the dozen burgers that we picked up at the end of the cruise and Darren brought beer boiled brats as well, so we had some great food and snacks.

Then the guys helped me troubleshoot the RTDI and found some insulation had melted off the wires going to the MAP sensor by the intake manifold and was causing the wires to ground out, so after separating them and individually wrapping them with electrical tape the car ran like it's supposed to.:D

Glad I could put this on and post up some of the pictures you guys took before, during, and after the cruise/gtg.

See you guys next year.:)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Thanks for hosting, Eric. I think this is the first one I've been to, up there, where it hasn't rained.

Glad to help out with your car. Now to get mine shaped up for the next one. Always a good time. And we had a bigger crowd than the one in the summer. Go figure, eh?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Eric - Glad the MAP sensor issue was a simple fix.

We made it to Iola ~20 minutes ahead of time which was perfect. I put the top up shortly after breaking off with the group. Maybe it's the TT or just me, but the wind buffeting and noise gets old quickly at highway speeds. Prolonged exposure to wind noise also damages your hearing. One thing I've learned about owning a convertible - they're not the best thing for road trips. The cruise we were on where the speeds are up/down, occasional stops, etc are not a problem. Similarly for "in town" trips or out to get ice cream on a summer night, but any sustained speed over ~45 MPH and the top is going up. Even with the top up, there's quite a bit of road noise as the canvas is not that good of a sound insulator. I didn't realize how loud it was until I used one of those MP3 speakers one time and though it was broken because I couldn't hear it very well - then I slowed down and came to a stop at a stop sign and realized it was at full volume, but just drowned out by the road noise.

Hopefully someone can post some pictures (I didn't take any :()

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear that you made it to Iola with plenty of time to spare.

I betcha that most people don't consider the wind noise that comes along with owning a convertible when they buy one. I can only imagine how bad it has to get at higher speeds like you mentioned. You'd probably have to wear ear plugs if you were going to drive with the top down for extended periods on a road trip.:D
Granted nowadays on the newer cars they're trying to make them a little bit better with wind noise when you have the windows up and it seems like they have some kind of wind screen that pops up behind the seats of car.

The guy with the GTI posted up a few pictures on VWVortex, but posted them using PB.:(
But there are some short clips from the cruise on there.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?916944-WI-foxcities-dubbers!!!!!/page1850

TDIinWI

TDI
'15 Jetta SE TDI (Current Chariot), '05 Passat TDI (RIP), '03 Beetle TDI (RIP), '00 Golf TDI (RIP), '98 Jetta TDI (RIP)
Sorry I missed this one. Hopefully I'll be able to swing through whenever the next one happens.

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Nice to see you are still getting people together on here. I haven't logged in for a long time. Car issue brought me back lol.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I missed this one. Hopefully I'll be able to swing through whenever the next one happens.
Hopefully you can make the next one, since I usually have a spring and fall cruise/gtg depending on what I have going on that time of year. So keep an eye on the Mid-west section around February or March and then again around July/early August.

Nice to see you are still getting people together on here. I haven't logged in for a long time. Car issue brought me back lol.
Yeah, it's nice to get together with the other members in the area, plus it's a great location to go for a spin around our area of Wisconsin.

Hope you can make cruise/gtg in the future.:D