www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 12th, 2019, 07:28   #1
Bikoman

Default Could a Flashzilla, flash a pre-fix tune back?

To the guru's out there. If I were to purchase a Flashzilla from Malone, would I be able to a. find a pre fix tune and b. flash it to my 2012 JSW?

Thanks
Bikoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 08:21   #2
calimustang
Veteran Member

That would be nice to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 14:28   #3
Owain@malonetuning

no it cannot. The device works off of a stock file, it cannot write a stock file over another stock file (or another vehicle), since they would be different base files or VINs.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 15:32   #4
IXLR8
Veteran Member

If you had a pre-fix file from your own car, had your car "fixed", you couldn't put the pre-fix file back in the same car post "fix". Is that correct?
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 21:02   #5
ewdysar

According to the Malone website, the Flashzilla v3 will hold just 1 stock tune file and 5 mod tune files. I guess that the trick would be to get a pre-fix stock file marked as a mod file. That would give you your post-fix tune as "stock" and a pre-fix tune as one mod along with whatever other real mod tunes that you have purchased. I think that I read somewhere that most of the tuners use the pre-fix tune as their "base" file, so they might have one available for purchase, for off-road use only, of course...
ewdysar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 21:14   #6
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Feels like some confusion here....

If you buy a Flashzilla, and use it as intended, you capture the existing ECU file, and store it as the stock tune.

This file can be modified by your tuner, and uploaded to the ECU. If you want to revert back to the original, you can do so at any time by using the Flashzilla to re-upload the stock ECU file that you initially saved.

All of these are locked to a specific vehicle using the VIN, and cannot be swapped between vehicles.

HPsenicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 21:48   #7
ewdysar

which is what I was saying. the OP's post-fix stock tune that is in his ECU today would be saved as his stock tune. If he bought a pre-fix stock tune as a mod file (or if the tuner modified his post-fix tune back to stock pre-fix specs), he could upload that pre-fix tune to his ECU under his VIN as a mod. Later, he could revert back to his post-fix stock tune by re-uploading his post-fix tune file that was saved as his stock tune. All one vehicle, one VIN.

Last edited by ewdysar; June 13th, 2019 at 21:52.
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:48   #8
ewdysar

i have to apologize.

First off, I did not notice that one of the replies was from Owain at Malone. Since they are the FlashZilla vendor, his reply should be considered to be straight from the source.

Second, my answers have been merely speculation, I have no direct experience with the product (yet). I was just brainstorming on how the original request might be done, though I personally don’t see much reason why. If I were to go to the trouble and expense of getting an alternate tune, I would opt for the better performance of a stage 1 or stage 2 tune, rather than the almost imperceptible difference between pre-fix and post-fix stock tunes.