www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:39   #136
Diesel_Man

I have a 2005 Jetta MK4. Bought it a year ago with 141K on it. It has almost 170K now. Just replaced the lift pump. Now looking to do a suspension upgrade. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. The goal for my is 500K I will need to put a cam in it by then, but that is ok. I like this 40 to 45 MPG thingy

Diesel Man
Diesel_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 15:27   #137
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Man View Post
I have a 2005 Jetta MK4. Bought it a year ago with 141K on it. It has almost 170K now. Just replaced the lift pump. Now looking to do a suspension upgrade. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. The goal for my is 500K I will need to put a cam in it by then, but that is ok. I like this 40 to 45 MPG thingy

Diesel Man
Congrats on picking up the 2005 Jetta.

As for suspension you could give the Koni Active suspension set up a try. Plus they're on sale right now.
https://www.idparts.com/koni-special...-a4-p-561.html
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...-Active-(Red)/

Otherwise you can check out some other options Koni offers and IDParts has on their site.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...Products/Cars/

https://www.idparts.com/suspension-steering-c-36.html
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:59   #138
Diesel_Man

Thanks 3L3M3NT I saw those on the Kerma site. I was actually looking more along the lines of the Bilstein Sport dampners along with a H&R sport spring from Neuspeed that lowers the car about 38mm front and rear. Perhaps even the Neuspeed sway bars Bushings and ball joints will all be done as well.

Diesel Man
Diesel_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 18:08   #139
johnnyblaze99

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Anyone have any experience with the Malone tuners near IL / WI border? Itching to do a dsg and Ecu tune.
johnnyblaze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 17:17   #140
Turbski

Loving my 2011 Jetta TDI so far. Stage 3.5 tune is fantastic and gets great mpgs as long as i keep my foot off of the floor. Looking to get nicer struts soon and a bigger turbo and injectors next.
Turbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 15:53   #141
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze99 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Malone tuners near IL / WI border? Itching to do a dsg and Ecu tune.
I have a shop in Villa Park, Illinois that does tunes and performance work.
They do custom builds in shop while putting the car on a dyno. They also did a custom TCU tune on my A6 and the thing drives like a beast. Transmission is silky smooth and precise when shifting now.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 16:49   #142
andreigbs
Veteran Member

I’d be interested in their details, Huskies. I’m looking for a local tuner for my TDI and Bluetec.
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
1986 Golf Diesel // 224xxx miles // 48 MPG - totaled
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 22:04   #143
brew1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDI 38-42 mpg, drive it like you stole it.

Been taking a break from diesels. Out of the Jetta TDI, Liberty CRD and the Grand Cherokee CRD, the only one i truly miss is the 03 Jetta Wagon TDI with the 5 speed manual. Responded well to mods, was easy to work on and Jason TDI was close by for fun stuff like timing belt changes and clutch upgrades :-) Was fun to drive and VW didn't bat an eye about replacing the front fenders, front passenger door and liftgate under the corrosion warranty.

I'm glad it found a nice home with an owner that already had a fleet of TDI's for his business.

Been looking at the supply of VW certified 2015 Golf Sportwagens TDI's at local dealers. The prices and warranties are attractive enough that a modestly tuned TDI may be back in my garage in the near future. It will feel a little odd though, owning a diesel with a fully functioning emissions system...
16 Audi A3 S-Line Quattro DSG JB4, APR DP & Intake
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 14:56   #144
woofie2
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/39/34

I was shocked to see how many local dealers have the "fixed" TDI buy backs on their CPO show room,
2015 golf 10k miles, $11,000
Old June 18th, 2019, 21:04   #145
brew1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofie2 View Post
I was shocked to see how many local dealers have the "fixed" TDI buy backs on their CPO show room,
2015 golf 10k miles, $11,000
Ya, that there must be a base model with a manual tranny.

I just purchased a CPO 15 GSW SEL DSG with the Drivers Assistance Pkg with 40,000 miles on the clock for several thousand more than the base Golf you quoted.On the 35 mile drive home from the dealer i was impressed with the mpg, handling and power while using both the drive and sport modes. Well, not as much fun as my Audi, but then again my Audi doesn't get 50 mpg....
I just may hold off on a tune until the 2 yr bumper to bumper has expired, not :-)

Last edited by brew1; June 18th, 2019 at 21:17.
Old June 19th, 2019, 08:18   #146
woofie2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1 View Post
Ya, that there must be a base model with a manual tranny.

I just purchased a CPO 15 GSW SEL DSG with the Drivers Assistance Pkg with 40,000 miles on the clock for several thousand more than the base Golf you quoted.On the 35 mile drive home from the dealer i was impressed with the mpg, handling and power while using both the drive and sport modes. Well, not as much fun as my Audi, but then again my Audi doesn't get 50 mpg....
I just may hold off on a tune until the 2 yr bumper to bumper has expired, not :-)
looking for a car for mother in law to have as a spare. shocked at the JSW and Golf's in Diesel mode at the dealers. (this was not base but it wasn't loaded)

Oh, I have you beat, ordered tunes for my Ecodiesel at 7500 miles, (before first oil change, I might wait 500 miles to put it on; but they got me on the 20% off fathers day sale. I am tired of the Detuning that they did to meet emissions 1.48 sec turbo lag and transmission slow shifting issues.)
after seeing what software did to my 2003 Jetta I have been struggling with performance lag on vehicles I have owned since.
Old June 19th, 2019, 08:59   #147
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The "base model" and "TDI" parted ways after the BEW cars, FWIW. If you check the diesel option box, you immediately get stepped up a couple trim levels, which is why they are so expensive new. Because you were essentially getting most all the gingerbread stuff from the higher end (non-GTI/GLI) gasser cars. Still depending on model, there are a few options beyond that, though. Not many.

The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 19th, 2019 at 09:04.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 09:47   #148
brew1
Veteran Member

[/QUOTE]The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.[/QUOTE]

Loved the leather in my departed 2003 Jetta TDI. Was extremely durable, easy to clean/maintain and held up well transporting my Weims. Leather looked great when i sold it. Steel wheels, ya, may be durable but most were fugly...

Last edited by brew1; June 19th, 2019 at 09:54.
Old June 19th, 2019, 09:59   #149
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The 2003 was a car that COULD have been gotten in base (as base as we got) trim, same as the standard issue 2.0L gasser. Everything beyond the engine was otherwise identical, all options were the same, etc. The TDI was just a $1600 option, a great value, and didn't force anyone into something super expensive they didn't need/want/could afford.
Old June 19th, 2019, 10:24   #150
woofie2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The 2003 was a car that COULD have been gotten in base (as base as we got) trim, same as the standard issue 2.0L gasser. Everything beyond the engine was otherwise identical, all options were the same, etc. The TDI was just a $1600 option, a great value, and didn't force anyone into something super expensive they didn't need/want/could afford.
Gone are the days of the GL base with manual windows, optional air, and basic operating instrumentation.