www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 11th, 2020, 06:22   #1
cobra390t
Veteran Member

Default Motor shake after TB change

06 BRM with 186,000 . Changed TB with kit from Diesel geek , timed spot on , have done several of them in the past ( ALH, BEW , BHW ) so it’s not my first shot at it .
Torsión value was at -2.0 so I set 0.0° KW BRM cover show. -0.5 so I left it at zero As the hero

My so drive the car for good 70 mile , he noticed it shakes after the eng reach operating temp of 84°c or so , shakes more noticeable at idle

Yesterday I made a 550 mile trip doing 70-80 mph and so far every thing is working like a clock work no different except the shake at idle , more noticeable at lower speed , eng perform as well if not better than before , stable when cold with no shakes . When it’s warm it has that shake you can feel it inside the cabin at the stop light .

Don’t you think if I caused the motor mount to tear it will do it all the time

I Know if my crank to cam timing it will do it all the time not just when it’s warm ?

I set my tensioner arrow to fall between the designed mark even after hand rotation it remained the same , however after I started the car I noticed the tensioner has gotten slightly tighter so is the belt but I didn’t check it after the long trip as I have 550mile trip back home ..!

Could it be my fuel filter which I just replaced 5k miles ago

I know if the timing is off it will be off. Any thoughts

T&R Racing Team
Super smooth Super Clean

Last edited by cobra390t; February 11th, 2020 at 14:01.
cobra390t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:27   #2
Metal Man

I wouldn't think it's a fuel filter problem. I have seen them clog, but that results in fuel starvation at higher RPM.
https://www.facebook.com/metalmanparts
Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:38   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

What do the smooth idle compensation numbers show? I forget which Group it is, but I think it is in the first 10 or so. A healthy engine will have +/- 1.00 or less, preferably less, on each cylinder.

Also is the alternator pulley clutch working properly?
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:10   #4
Franko6

It's engine module/ block 4, 13 and 15 we pay attention to.

04 is torsion value
13 is idle balance compensation
15 is liter per hour fuel usage in the third window.

The Question about Torsion Value is a thread that explains how the three blocks are used
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:52   #5
Franko6

Other thoughts...

I won't soon forget the customer that came from a dealership who wanted to replace all of his injectors because of a mis-fire. That should show up in VCDS error codes. I pulled the valve cover and pushed the wire connector for #3 injector back in... problem solved...

However, cam wear and torsion value timing are critical. A BHW engine we initially set at 0.0 for the torsion value lost 4 mpg. When the customer complained, we set it back to the original setting of .5 and the lost mileage came right back. That means to me, torsion value is critical and we spend some time getting the torsion, idle balance and fuel usage numbers to jive.
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 13:29   #6
cobra390t
Veteran Member

TDI started on a dime today , idled smooth and eng solid with no shakes, drove it for 10 minute , eng reached its normal operating temp and it started to shake at idle .
The little odd thing that I feel that the eng shake some times gets more amplified and some times it kinda smooth out but it remain there .?

I am out of town for business and don’t have my Vag , we I have noticed yesterday at one point the eng smoothed it self out but went back to shake
My plan is
1- lessen the tensioner to drop it a hair down right on the lower threshold
2- back the torsión to -.5
I am in the Atlanta area until end of the week before I head back home , if any one from the club in the are with VAG that we could get together to chat and check the idle balance that would be appreciated

T&R Racing Team
Super smooth Super Clean

Last edited by cobra390t; February 11th, 2020 at 16:27.
Old February 11th, 2020, 16:47   #7
cobra390t
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
It's engine module/ block 4, 13 and 15 we pay attention to.

04 is torsion value
13 is idle balance compensation
15 is liter per hour fuel usage in the third window.

The Question about Torsion Value is a thread that explains how the three blocks are used
Whats is the correlation between all 3 , knowing the Torsión value what the others reveal ?

I tested the Alt pulley , tensioner , new Alt belt

T&R Racing Team
Super smooth Super Clean
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:28   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

PD Engines - The Problem of Setting Torsion Value - TDIClub Forums
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:43   #9
Sauaciden

Don't know if this will help but did you check alternator pulley? My car used to shake slightly at idle when warm and it was due to seized alternator clutch pulley
Sauaciden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:42   #10
Nuje
Veteran Member

Just thought I'd mention that you posted this in the Mk4 forum, whereas the BRM is in the Mk5 cars; you might get more answers if you can get this moved by a moderator to the Mk5 forum (?)

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2

Last edited by Nuje; February 12th, 2020 at 10:45.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 16:55   #11
cobra390t
Veteran Member

I double checked the Alt Clutched Pulley this morning ,it checked ok so is the serpentine belt tensioner ,however the Alt pulley little noisy than I like .

Made a quick check and I backed the TB tensioner 10th of a thousand but that didn’t make much difference . One thing I noticed that made a difference during my testing was while the car is running and using an adjustable wrench I backed of the Belt tension to double check the Alt and no change but As soon the belt engage the motor picks up about 100 RPM enough to smooth it but that is unusual for my BRM rpm to be running 100 more than usual and off course I don’t have Vag with me , my tools are limited to adjustable wrench and flat head screw driver

It will be very Interesting to see the #’s when I get home ,

T&R Racing Team
Super smooth Super Clean

Last edited by cobra390t; February 12th, 2020 at 16:59.
Old February 13th, 2020, 20:37   #12
cobra390t
Veteran Member

Problem cleared and improved after I used all the fuel and filled new full tank

Could have been the violent shake of the fuel filter canister and flipping it during TB change process . It might caused some settled sediment to move up stream to get injector clogged which is High Probability .

T&R Racing Team
Super smooth Super Clean
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:11   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

If you suspect sediment got into your injectors? That's not good. Flipping the filter should not send any thing other than fuel. That's how a filter works. Outside is dirt. Inside is clean.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 19:50   #14
Louie710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Just thought I'd mention that you posted this in the Mk4 forum, whereas the BRM is in the Mk5 cars; you might get more answers if you can get this moved by a moderator to the Mk5 forum (?)
Funny that it took someone that long to mention this. I know if it would have been a newbie that had made that mistake he wouldn't be receiving the same polite and helpful comments this gentleman has
Louie710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 21:33   #15
Nuje
Veteran Member

Pedantism is my middle name.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote