3.0 TDI gen 2 PC group post-fix impressions

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Hello all. I have a 14 q5 tdi s line. I have the fix scheduled for January 12th. I will be posting results here as soon as I can. Hopefully some other PC group owners can chime in here with their post fix impressions.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
My A7 is getting done today. Parts are already in for so cal. I will update when I pick it up.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
https://www.google.com/search?sourc....0.28.2293.0..0j0i131k1j0i10k1.56.d0Pp2J-lOwk

Looking for a PC specific thread. Clearly the genius above is a little short on O2 at 7kft in az, did you miss the “pc group” in the title?
My parts come in January 10, and the fix is scheduled for January 15. Plan to sell/trade in as soon as i get my payment. Will advise on my short term impressions.

LOL on the first poster's response. So much of this nonsense on message boards.

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Given that the parts aren't even going to be available for a couple of weeks, how do you expect ANYone to answer this right now?
Given that you’re being a f’n ‘tard....
I’d say find a hobby.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
My parts come in January 10, and the fix is scheduled for January 15. Plan to sell/trade in as soon as i get my payment. Will advise on my short term impressions.

LOL on the first poster's response. So much of this nonsense on message boards.
So, I was planning to buy a lightly used 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the Ecodiesel, and I asked the dealer about any recalls, and he said they were none. But then I found this.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/611383/fiat-chrysler-owners-and-us-government-nearing-diesel-solution/

Seems Fiat Chrysler America is in a lesser degree of hot water than VW-Audi, and they are working on their own fix, which FCA says will be software only. I think I am done with diesels for now.

Will report back my results after my Jan. 15th fix is done.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
Given that you’re being a f’n ‘tard....
I’d say find a hobby.
I guess you are a little butt hurt there was no buy back as your were told there would not be. With no response of any fixes being completed so far I would guess you are the tard. Not sure why you need to give the hate for an answer that is correct. The reality is it will be the same as the other fixes once it happens 2 mpg loss, higher revs and more def usage you are welcome!

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
I guess you are a little butt hurt there was no buy back as your were told there would not be. With no response of any fixes being completed so far I would guess you are the tard. Not sure why you need to give the hate for an answer that is correct. The reality is it will be the same as the other fixes once it happens 2 mpg loss, higher revs and more def usage you are welcome!
Not true. The PC fix involves replacement of cylinder pressure sensors on 2014 models. DEF (AdBlue) consumption will increase in 2014 and 2015 models, and will decrease in 2016 models. How it drives will come down to adaptation. I own a 2016 A6 TDI. It's not as responsive as the 2014 A6 TDI I owned previously.

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Not true. The PC fix involves replacement of cylinder pressure sensors on 2014 models. DEF (AdBlue) consumption will increase in 2014 and 2015 models, and will decrease in 2016 models. How it drives will come down to adaptation. I own a 2016 A6 TDI. It's not as responsive as the 2014 A6 TDI I owned previously.
As note above, I was set to go on January 15. Got this message from my dealer's service department: "so we just got notification on the 80c5 recall that the part is changing and we can’t use the current one we have – can I reschedule you for the 29th? They say we will have the part by the 25th."

Anyone else get delayed like this?
Thankfully, I did not make plans to dump my car right away on the 15th to buy something else.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
Well?

Scheduled to drop my A7 off on Thursday.

Took it in and dropped it off. They called and said my claim number wasnt valid. Called in and they apparantly have my claim on hold and wont perform the fix until they clear it. I dont know what is going on.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I am apparently a fool. Help me out on "PC". I just visit this site and drive, not a TDI guru. I saw 3.0 TDI gen 2 on both your question and the thread link I posted.
I'll bet you are fun at parties....
Edit: Oh, Passenger Car? Thanks for setting me straight.

Last edited:

Ray102386

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sedan, 2013 VW Jetta Premium, 2013 VW Toureg TDi Sport
An A7....

So what does it take to get an A7 TDI nowadays? I have wanted one pretty bad for a while. Hard to get before dieselgate and now even harder. PM me if you really do plan to offload yours.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
I am apparently a fool. Help me out on "PC". I just visit this site and drive, not a TDI guru. I saw 3.0 TDI gen 2 on both your question and the thread link I posted.
I'll bet you are fun at parties....
Edit: Oh, Passenger Car? Thanks for setting me straight.
Not that obvious when SUVs are lumped in with Passenger Cars.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Took it in and dropped it off. They called and said my claim number wasnt valid. Called in and they apparantly have my claim on hold and wont perform the fix until they clear it. I dont know what is going on.
Well that sucks. Still have their car, and what is it if you do?

Burnt

TDI
A7
There was a 2016 A7 TDI in the shop at my dealership. They said they would take off 20% from MSRP, guy had a deposit on it. Dealership said guy is having cold feet and one of the salesman were about to jump onto it.

The sales guy and I calculated at least 60k, seems pretty steep to me

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
There was a 2016 A7 TDI in the shop at my dealership. They said they would take off 20% from MSRP, guy had a deposit on it. Dealership said guy is having cold feet and one of the salesman were about to jump onto it.

The sales guy and I calculated at least 60k, seems pretty steep to me

If I had use for a luxury slant-back, I’d be having a very hard time not buying that. It’s the last of its type, with a 10/120 warranty.

Burnt

TDI
A7
If I had use for a luxury slant-back, I’d be having a very hard time not buying that. It’s the last of its type, with a 10/120 warranty.
10/120 warranty is only on emission parts, right?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
10/120 warranty is only on emission parts, right?

Emissions parts, sensors, etc, AND the entire engine assembly, including high pressure fuel pump and turbo. And all labor on same.

Onetrack97

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI
I just got my 2015 Q5 TDI back from the “diesel recall” today. If you read the literature they sent, they denoted higher rpm at warm up, more noise during warm up, approximately 1 mpg less fuel economy, no loss in performance.

I’ve only driven it for about 20 minutes. Well, so far, I hate it. Not only are the shift points and idle speed higher during warm up, the shift points are higher all of the time. It looks like at least 1000 RPM or more. It almost redlined just doing an easy acceleration. I’m used to seeing lazy shifts below 2000 RPM.

I guess once you get into 6th, things must be the same but otherwise, it’s almost like you are in Sport Mode all of the time, except you don’t feel the engine braking when you let off.

My guess is that fuel economy will be more like minus 3 or 4 mpg, but I will check it with a few tanks.

I’d like to see an instrumented before and after test.

The good news is that the VW website says that “the check’s in the mail”.

Scott

Last edited:

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Give it some more time. They are still great engines and the fix isn't bad at all.

moosekevin

TDI
'09 Jetta Sedan 6 spd.
Any A6/A7/A8 owners get their cars back yet?

My dealer called me today and said my 'new' 2016 A6 would be ready later this week. I'd really like to get more input from owners of fixed PC (passenger cars) before I become the guinea pig.

Thanks!
Moose

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My dealer called me today and said my 'new' 2016 A6 would be ready later this week. I'd really like to get more input from owners of fixed PC (passenger cars) before I become the guinea pig.
Thanks!
Moose
The fuel economy sucks now. My Q5 is averaging 22.8 mpg. It was getting about 10 more mpg before the fix with a stage 2 tune.

Onetrack97

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI
I just got my 2015 Q5 TDI back from the “diesel recall” today. If you read the literature they sent, they denoted higher rpm at warm up, more noise during warm up, approximately 1 mpg less fuel economy, no loss in performance.

I’ve only driven it for about 20 minutes. Well, so far, I hate it. Not only are the shift points and idle speed higher during warm up, the shift points are higher all of the time. It looks like at least 1000 RPM or more. It almost redlined just doing an easy acceleration. I’m used to seeing lazy shifts below 2000 RPM.

I guess once you get into 6th, things must be the same but otherwise, it’s almost like you are in Sport Mode all of the time, except you don’t feel the engine braking when you let off.

My guess is that fuel economy will be more like minus 3 or 4 mpg, but I will check it with a few tanks.

I’d like to see an instrumented before and after test.

The good news is that the VW website says that “the check’s in the mail”.

Scott
This isn’t my everyday vehicle but I have driven it some more. I can now characterize its changes better now.

Basically, it’s still annoying to me that the shift points are so high when warming up. Almost 4-cylinder gas turbo like. Not that noisy though.

It does get better after it warms up. That change doesn’t happen when the water temp reaches nominal, it happens a few minutes later. I suspect it’s the temperature further down the exhaust path.

After, warmup, around town, it does still seem to be in one gear too low most of the time. I did do a freeway test. It does get into 8th. I got up to about 75 mph and put it in cruise and shifted into manual to see what gear it was in. Then I slowly reduced the cruise speed. Pretty much flat road. Surprisingly, it stayed in 8th until around 50 mph.

So how you drive and how much constant highway speed vs. being in traffic will greatly affect your reduction in mpg.

On the plus side, it is more responsive around town in traffic without shifting to Sport mode.

The other plus is that they finished the work on Friday and the next Wednesday, I received my check from Audi via FedEx.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Day 3 of new 2016 A8L TDI after trading in the 15 A8L TDI with 44500 miles. I've put on 300 miles and the car behaves just like the last one. No additional noise, similar shift points. Since I've only used a half a tank of fuel, I can't comment precisely on fuel economy, but the computer is calculating about 3-4 mpg less than my last car. That car, however, always read 2-3 mpg higher than the actual mpg calculated from miles between fill-ups divided by gallons filled. Based on the rate of drop from full reading on the gas guage over 300 miles, the new car seems pretty close to the old one.

Merits of new one far outweighed keeping the 3 1/2 year old car, but only with a killer deal I got on a leftover 3.0 TDI. This one I'm gonna keep for 5 years and 100,000 miles.