Polo 6n stub axle/ 9n hub / hub upgrade to b4

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The thread starter on vortex is a member here and a friend of mine. I think it's a great idea, if the parts can be sourced locally. The problem is they can't be sourced locally, they're from a model(s) that never came to the US so you're at a disadvantage if something breaks or is damaged.

TBH I've never had a problem with tapered roller bearings anyway, they seem to be cheap, effective and readily availble. I'm not sure I would trade that for a sealed cartridge bearing.

Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i wanted to do this years ago... but things got in the way. you can definitely source the parts for a decent price. a group buy with the right person would be ideal. iirc, you can even get the hubs from rockauto. it's been a while since i've even thought about this, but very doable. but certainly more $$ than sticking with "stock", but worth it IMO. one day i hope to get back to this, as i have a few cars i plan to do this to

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Whether it's justified or not the biggest plus I see to this is that you can go to vented rotors in the rear.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
How much braking does the rear actually accomplish? Wondering if this will affect brake bias.

-Todd

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
For me, the biggest plus is the much more robust rear spindle and hub/bearing assembly. I've contacted Frans about providing the parts, but he must be busy lately. My wagon is a glx b4v and has superb braking already.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
How much braking does the rear actually accomplish? Wondering if this will affect brake bias.

-Todd
A little maybe...probably not all that much.

Rear brakes on 4x100 vs 5x100 vehicles there's no difference, on the front the rotor bigger but caliper is not.

If a person really wants to do the rear that's great but it really doesn't get you all that much, and you'll have to have the stub axle drilled, it doesn't have the six bolt holes for the B3/4 the way it is.

I have never had a problem with tapered roller bearings so the way it is doesn't bother me. I don't consider it any less robust than the sealed bearing.

I could understand if a person raced, it might have some benefit to being able to substitute parts more quickly.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
There's a Polo setup FS on FB 'BurnAlltheMk3s' buy/sell forum. It's listed by tdiclub member VDub2625 (also vortex username) Jason B out in Fall River MA.

You have to be member of the FB forum to see it but if you PM him here I'm sure he'll respond.

The asking is $225 for the parts and his post says needs new bearings too. Also remember you'll have to have the stubs drilled for the extra two holes the B3/4 has.

Steve

EDIT: It sold

Last edited:

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I've though of this upgrade before, but using all US MkiV parts. I realize that the 4-bolt A4 stub axle will not play nice with the 6-bolt B4 stub mount, therefore an adaptor plate would be in order, something that would also happen to push the rear wheels outboard about 1" per side. Haven't worked all the details out, but clocking the caliper up to avoid bolt pattern(s) interference may require swapping of calipers side-to and routing e-brake cables from over the top of the swing arm, possibly avoiding cable water intrusion... etc.

Not that I'm doing it, but that's what I'd do:D you know...in my mind

I think of it every time I have to involve myself with anything on the rear wheels more complex than a tire rotation....as we all know doing anything with the rear brakes/bearings/rotor, well it gets OOOOOLD.

Last edited: