Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
The judge really needs to set a deadline for a deal to be reached like they did in the states. Everyone here that wants/needs to sell their car is being held hostage. It's nonsense what VW is getting away and has gotten away with.

sorethumb

TDI
2013 diesel passat
Fix Fix Fix.... Yes maybe at some point if it was close to meeting standards with some forgiveness from the emissions people but we must still remember.

At what cost on performance which includes engine power and mpg?
What about durability on these parts and software updates? These cars where never designed for this fix.

If VW in their wildest dreams could come up with their fix we would still have a major problem with resale values because anything I have read up on these future fixes effects performance and fuel economy. Our diesel cars would still be taking a big hit on devaluation. We bought into one thing and got criminally scammed into another thing with VW diesels. Who should pay for this? Future buyers of our used Diesels?..Ha ha, ya right. They for the most part are not going to be stupid and will still want a good undervalue deal to buy your car. They will know they are not buying into the high quality, high performing VW diesel like you and I did. These cars are different now. Not as good as before.

We who wanted to have traded in our vehicles or outright sell them since this scandal know that we are only getting pennies on the dollars for our cars if you can even find a buyer for them. How much is that worth to you? You going to kiss and make up with VW for their criminal activities with our cars and for keeping us hostage because we can not liquidate them? Not all people have deep pockets and can throw away several thousands of dollars of depreciation because of the illegal actions of VW or even stupid enough to entertain such thoughts. WE have to wait it out. No choice.

Personally I find this very scary. These parts would come costly and me never trusting VW I am sure that these parts would include some recovery markup built into their pricing when they fail and need replacement. You will have to pay for these parts after VW's extended warranty on these parts if they even offer one. Again, I like you did not buy into this scam, and we did pay a high premium to buy one of these Diesel cars out the doors at the dealership but ultimately we will have a different car after any future fix.

I believe a 50/50 chance probably at some future point some type of fix could evolve and for those folks who want to keep their cars.. good for you but it will not be the same performing car that you bought into.

The rest of us as in the court orders VW to buy back . Something for everyone in that order. A mere fix does not make all the problems go away for VW.

Last edited:

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
What a Fu%$#& joke! No sh%$ the talks are continuing, so it was all hype. That apparent update was a huge insult and slap in the face to all affected.

I'm sick of being treated like a 2nd rate customer, we got the short end of the stick with the goodwill money and it took forever to actually get it, now they're going to drag this on as long as humanly possible, meanwhile our cars will devalue further while they waste our time.

It's a big game and lies, I wish I was a US customer right now. Also the fact that it's all hush hush now after the VW USA court hearing is alarming.

Last edited:

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Fix Fix Fix.... Yes maybe at some point if it was close to meeting standards with some forgiveness from the emissions people but we must still remember.

If VW in their wildest dreams could come up with their fix we would still have a major problem with resale values because anything I have read up on these future fixes effects performance and fuel economy. Our diesel cars would still be taking a big hit on devaluation. We bought into one thing and got criminally scammed into another thing with VW diesels. Who should pay for this? Future buyers of our used Diesels?

The rest of us as in the court orders VW to buy back . Something for everyone in that order. A mere fix does not make all the problems go away for VW.
The US customers have 2 options:

1. Buyback based on Sept. 2015 value + a pro-rated premium
  2. Fix when it becomes available + a pro-rated premium
See this thread for details on the premium (additional restitution) they will be getting for their TDIs (not until at least Nov. 2016).

Either way, I think the resale value should go back up on our TDIs once the dust has settled.

Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Resale value could depend on how many consumer-returned US TDI's are fixed and put back into the market. No guarantee they'll stay in the US.

Jordaney

TDI
2012 Passat
I for one wanted to get this done back in January. My 2012 Passat has been breaking down once every two months this year alone and to top it all off today the turbocharger went. This will be the fourth time this year it's been in the shop. I've done so much research on this car before I bought it and felt I was buying a car that will last me for years. I've never been more wrong in my life. I'm never getting another VW no matter what the discount. #donewithvw1000timesover

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
What a Fu%$#& joke! No sh%$ the talks are continuing, so it was all hype. That apparent update was a huge insult and slap in the face to all affected.

I'm sick of being treated like a 2nd rate customer, we got the short end of the stick with the goodwill money and it took forever to actually get it, now they're going to drag this on as long as humanly possible, meanwhile our cars will devalue further while they waste our time.

It's a big game and lies, I wish I was a US customer right now. Also the fact that it's all hush hush now after the VW USA court hearing is alarming.
I'm wondering if it is one of two possibilities for a delay:

1. They're waiting for a fix to be approved by the EPA, before talking too much here so that they can get away with just offering a fix and nothing else (previous comments in this thread definitely mirror my thoughts that there is no way they should be able to get away with this).
  2. They are stalling for time until a deal is finalized in the U.S. so that they can simply "adjust" for Canadian dollars and then offer the same thing to us.
Either way, they should've at least asked the courts to allow them to give a more detailed explanation on Friday: it didn't need to have details of a proposed settlement. It could have just been a general statement, and some vague mention of possible options.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
I for one wanted to get this done back in January. My 2012 Passat has been breaking down once every two months this year alone and to top it all off today the turbocharger went. This will be the fourth time this year it's been in the shop. I've done so much research on this car before I bought it and felt I was buying a car that will last me for years. I've never been more wrong in my life. I'm never getting another VW no matter what the discount. #donewithvw1000timesover
Starting to believe that we are not going to get any sort of deal up here unless we are willing to fight for it. Anything we can do here to put some level of pressure on them would be good, whether it be phone calls, tweets on Twitter (#DoneWithVW), postings on Facebook. Probably won't do much good, but at least they can put some sort of quantifiable number on the number of upset/lost customers here that they are causing due to delays.

Like a lot of people, I believed the statement in April that they were going to mirror the settlement in the U.S. for Canadian customers. Maybe that deal was richer than they thought it would be, and then backed away from the idea of offering it here.

My Passat has been pretty much the most reliable car I've owned (yes, it was in the shop 3 times within a span of two weeks, but that was for minor issues like a stabilizer link, wheel bearing, and window regulator), so I'm really shocked that you're having that many problems with yours.

Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
We're caught in the inertia of an unmotivated Canadian legal system. I'm expecting more of the same.

I was thinking of maybe a TDIfest at mothercorp in Ajax. Celebrate the moment!

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
i wonder if we could get the final deal signed in a vanagon on the side of the Highway of Heros

Last edited:

Chet57

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI and 2013 Jetta TDI
I plan on sending my comments and feelings to Volkswagen Canada thru the VW.ca website. At the bottom of the page, there is the constant us link that allows you to send a comment. My plan is to send something everyday. What VW is doing to us is absolutely incomprehensible and it outrages me to no avail. After owning VW's for the better part of 30 years, I'm done!!!
I would encourage you all to send your feelings and comments to VW as well.

CV-GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI

At what cost on performance which includes engine power and mpg?
What about durability on these parts and software updates? These cars where never designed for this fix.

If VW in their wildest dreams could come up with their fix we would still have a major problem with resale values because anything I have read up on these future fixes effects performance and fuel economy. Our diesel cars would still be taking a big hit on devaluation. We bought into one thing and got criminally scammed into another thing with VW diesels. Who should pay for this? Future buyers of our used Diesels?..Ha ha, ya right. They for the most part are not going to be stupid and will still want a good undervalue deal to buy your car. They will know they are not buying into the high quality, high performing VW diesel like you and I did. These cars are different now. Not as good as before.

We who wanted to have traded in our vehicles or outright sell them since this scandal know that we are only getting pennies on the dollars for our cars if you can even find a buyer for them. How much is that worth to you? You going to kiss and make up with VW for their criminal activities with our cars and for keeping us hostage because we can not liquidate them? Not all people have deep pockets and can throw away several thousands of dollars of depreciation because of the illegal actions of VW or even stupid enough to entertain such thoughts. WE have to wait it out. No choice.

Personally I find this very scary. These parts would come costly and me never trusting VW I am sure that these parts would include some recovery markup built into their pricing when they fail and need replacement. You will have to pay for these parts after VW's extended warranty on these parts if they even offer one. Again, I like you did not buy into this scam, and we did pay a high premium to buy one of these Diesel cars out the doors at the dealership but ultimately we will have a different car after any future fix.

I believe a 50/50 chance probably at some future point some type of fix could evolve and for those folks who want to keep their cars.. good for you but it will not be the same performing car that you bought into.

Wow. You couldn't have said it better. Exactly how I feel towards the whole situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV-GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
You know when you take a picture of you and your car at the dealership when you BUY it?

I'm going to take the same picture when I RETURN it and hashtag the heck out of it and tweet it directly to VW Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
... so that they can simply "adjust" for Canadian dollars ...
Hahahahahahahahaha.. Sorry, were you being serious? I fully expect it to be like the 'on par' cards. That's how much trust I have in VW doing the right thing.

We just bought a vinyl decal printer and cutter which is getting setup next week. I plan on making a big "Fahrpollütin" sticker for the back window.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Hahahahahahahahaha.. Sorry, were you being serious? I fully expect it to be like the 'on par' cards. That's how much trust I have in VW doing the right thing.

We just bought a vinyl decal printer and cutter which is getting setup next week. I plan on making a big "Fahrpollütin" sticker for the back window.
Nope, was not being serious at all, hence "adjust" in quotation marks :). I trust VW right now about as far as I can throw my Passat.

On the subject of stickers, how about a nice big "Got NOx" for the back window?

1sTDI

TDI
VW is not going to go out of their way to compensate us, unless they are forced to. They are in the business of making money. Look at what Europe got. We'll just have to wait and see...

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Recent reports from Handsblatt, the German newspaper, from an unnamed internal VW source, are that VW is preparing to compensate us similar to the US model.

The short term problem may not rest with VW but with our legal system. ?

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
They have till the end of August to sort this out.. inspection is due.. and I'm skipping the DSG service for now. :p

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Reuters:

Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) is seeking a settlement with Canadian diesel vehicle owners similar to the one reached in the United States, German newspaper Handelsblatt reported on Monday, citing a spokesperson for the carmaker.

Volkswagen last month agreed to pay as much as $15.3 billion after admitting it cheated on U.S. diesel emissions tests for years, to buy back vehicles from consumers and provide funding that could benefit makers of cleaner technologies.

The carmaker will set aside $10.033 billion to cover buybacks or fixes for diesel cars and sport utility vehicles that used illegal software to defeat government emissions tests.

Volkswagen would be on the hook for up to $2 billion if it reached a similar settlement in Canada, Handelsblatt reported, without saying what the source of that information was.

A spokesman at Volkswagen's headquarters in Wolfsburg declined to comment.

"We are not commenting on speculation in the media. VW is in talks with the Canadian authorities but there are no decisions yet," the spokesman said.