Backup camera HELP!

wispassat

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I recently bought a backup camera on ebay. to my dismay when it arrived it has an RCA connection. The camera replaces the trunk handle and fits very well! Is there a conversion cable to adapt an RCA plug to the 26 pin on my RNS-315? If not, the seller will let me return it for a full refund.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Yes, just make sure the one you buy has the correct pin to plug into the back of the radio. I will search for the best one and edit this post as im also shopping for one after backing into a dude at a trail head, I only had a foot to work with trying to wiggle myself out and now I have a chevys licence plate frame inprint on my bumper. Edit, DRNKNMNKY's link below is perfect!

Last edited:

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
What did you pay for yours? I picked this one up on Amazon. Plugs right in with no converter needed. Works like a champ.Costs me $100.24.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRB1SEG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Quick warning about the above camera... Its coming from China. So it takes 2 or 3 weeks to get to you. However the guy send you a picture with your exact camera plugged in to verify operation. He also sends tracking information. Although china's postal service doesn't seem to update as well as the USPS. As it still showed "in transit" a week after it was delivered.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Great amazon review with the Ross-Tech plug :cool: I just ordered mine, but man pulling a new car apart to run cables isn't on my top ten list

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
Buy the trim tools. They are like 15 bucks. Make it much easier. I was a little worried about pulling my trim also. But it wasn't bad. Just go slow. If it doesn't pull with moderate force... Stop. Don't pull harder. You're probably missing something. I ran my wiring down the passenger side. Supposedly more room on that side. But I can't say for sure. I also picked up the cover for the right side trunk hinge. Didn't truly NEED it, but looks way better than wires zip tied to the hinge.

Buy an "add a circuit" for the fuse box. Also buy an easy wire taper to tap the wire for the reverse light.

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
If I have kessy, will the trunk/camera handle work with the kessy like the original handle.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't know for sure as I don't have kessy. But I doubt it. At least the one I have doesn't seem like it would.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I ordered one of these cameras... don't plan on hooking up the "reverse" line to the light wire but to a hot line somewhere on a ON-OFF toggle switch so I can turn the camera on when not in "reverse". Do you see any problem with that?

sleek98

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just ordered the camera for the Passat. Now I need to get my VCDS cable. Was it easy to turn on the camera in the VCDS?

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
I just ordered the camera for the Passat. Now I need to get my VCDS cable. Was it easy to turn on the camera in the VCDS?
Yes. Camera comes with instructions. Also many instructions can be found here.

It's putting a check in the "enable camera" byte. Then hitting save (they call it Do It)

Very easy. The easiest part of the install. Plus I was able to tweak other things once I had the cable.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Got my camera from China a week earlier than predicted..... installed it Sat PM and Sun AM. I decided to just use the standard back-up light as the "trigger" after all. If I decide to use a toggle switch it'll be easy enough to put it in later. Works well BTW. Good price and not too bad an install.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Found an "AIR BAG" light in the dash this AM. What, after installing the rear view camera could I have done to make this error light come on?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
If you powered up the car with that light unplugged, I've heard it would trigger.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The dash trim has an airbag warning light that you unplugged. If you disconnected the battery before you started it wouldn't have tossed the air bag light. Use Vcds to clear the error when your changing the big for the back up camera

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't unplug and lights that I know of..... you mean the one below the radio?
Yes. the light on the dash trim. If you unplugged that cable while the battery was still connected it will throw a code.

Use VCDS to clear it.

It's funny how stuff happens. My Adblue tank got an error after I did the camera install. I thought maybe I dislodged one of the wires during my install. But they are fine. Only thing that makes sense is all the disconnecting and reconnecting of the battery did something to the sensor in the adblue tank.

Did the heater repair and no problems now.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Oh crap!!! Thank you for reminding me of this..... I NOW remember I had to pull that plug while removing the radio panel and I don't remember re-inserting it during re-assembly. You saved me a trip to the dealer and the $ involved. This forum is GREAT! It's also nice to have the VCDS to clear the code!!

Last edited:

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
Side Note. BP..where in MD are you located? I left DC and am now living near Odenton.

Always good to have TDI people around.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I'm in Millersville - Village of Old Mill.... not very far from you at all. 32 to 97 - exit 10 to Veterans Hwy N. 4th traffic light( at McDonald's), right to Brandon, right, next left about 12 houses up on left.