Swapping gas engine w/ TDI... practical?

svocar

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5M
I'm having a hard time finding a TDI, and was wondering how feasible it is to buy a gasoline VW and swap the engine with a diesel. Even though swapping the engines is going to cost around $3K, if that's the only thing that a "conversion" requires, it might be worth it. Thoughts about whether this is practical for a manual transmission? What hidden costs are lurking beneath this plan?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The best way would be to find a rear-ended tdi car and a gasser with a weak engine and good body. You need alot of random bits from the donor car to make the swap, not just an engine.

ADW_squared

TDI
Jetta (IV) GLS, 2005, Reflex Silver (For Sale); Jetta (V) 2006 Pkg 2 TDI, Spice Red with Anthracite Interior(!)
First, a few caveats:
1) I have a TDI for sale on the board as we speak.
2) While I am a Mechanical Engineer, I have not actually attempted what you speak of, but I have thought about it.

As far as I can tell, the biggest issues revolve around everything else, not the actual engine-to-engine swap. As you rightfully spot, the cars are designed to physically accommodate the parts. The issues come in the unknowns (at least, unknown to me - clearly they are knowable) - The multiple Computers and controllers that are TDI centric (not just engine controls, but all the other bells and whistles with the car) and whether or not they have all of the addresses to handle a non TDI body/wiring setup. You would like to think that it is pretty standard stuff, but I've seen to much to know better...

The fuel tank/pump/line are items you probably just want to replace outright as well. I also admit to not knowing whether there are flavors of gearbox out there - I do not know if all of the manuals in a given model year are alike across the engines released in the US (I'm only allowed to play with automatics, though with the advent of DSG, that's not so bad anymore).

I would surmise that the level of labor involved may outweigh the cost of parts, even if you do all of the work yourself (never forget opportunity cost). That's not to say it can't be done, because clearly it has.

svocar

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5M
I hear you Leo... no worries. Thanks for the feedback folks. I suspected it wasn't as simple as an engine swap. Considering my level of technical skills, I'll chalk this one up to impractical.

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Winnebago Rialta TDI/5-speed conversion, '93 Eurovan Weekender 2.5TDI/5-speed conversion
SVOCAR,
I done myself few TDI conversions and I can tell you it's not hard as it looks like before I start first one... Everything in TDI converted car works as it should, ABS brakes, I even was very surprised in the winter whether how traction control in B4 Passat helps in icy/snowy roads... No check engine light, etc... I sold one B4 GLX_TDI and new owner is still very happy with his purchase.
BUT, I was working as diesel mechanic for 5 years in Europe (in shop specializing in diesel engine rebuilding), and since 1994 until present time I always own Volkswagens and Audi diesels or TDI's and work on them. So as you understand for me it was not scary to start TDI conversion (because of my experience).
So, I do not know about your skills (you know), for example if you can't change the timing belt yourself or replace clutch - best for you forget about your idea... because for you it will cost much less to buy TDI car.
Good luck to find good deal (sometime they appear - just need to act quick).

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
You will have to replace the front springs.The TDI is weights more the gasser.

roundout

Veteran Member
TDI
5 speed ALH
I kept the gas springs and it drives and rides fine.

The hardest part is wiring. You can either swap an entire TDI harness in from an identical car (same year, same options) or take them both apart and hyrbid one together. The entire interior has to come out for this to happen - trim, carpet, dashboard, airbags, seats, headliner. Everything. Putting the parts together isn't physically difficult, just takes a lot of time.

svocar

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5M
Roundout,
svocar in the beginning was asking about converting diesel car into gasser (gas conversion not TDI conversion).
I'm asking about converting a gasoline car into a diesel by replacing the gas engine with a TDI engine.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
click on link in sig and start reading.

Do you have space, tools, mechanical knowledge, TIME, patience, forgiving partner/spouse? If the car you want is available on the open market with a TDI I'd insist that you just buy one. If you have to buy a $500 plane ticket and then drive accross the country then do so. start using searchtempest.com to search for the car you want on craigslist

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
It isn't worth it to perform a swap into a vehicle in which you can already buy a diesel. Costs and time just won't add up unless you get everything for free.

A fuel conversion takes alot more work than just an engine swap, harnesses need to be changed as well as fueling systems, and there might be emission issues.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
Glad I found this thread. I had been considering this. I seem to find good body gassers with bad engines all the time. My ALH TDI has a great engine but the body is so so. Had been thinking of pulling my engine and dropping it into a top level jetta with a bum engine.