Is the knuckle buggered?

eldar11

TDI
2003 MkIV Golf GLS TDI
Working on a wheel bearing replacement, and when starting the bearing, it cocked to one side and was stuck. It left these marks on the inner bearing surface.

Can the bearing still be pressed in (doubly checking for straightness). I am using a Harbor freight 12 ton press and have the knuckle off of the car.

I had done the other side and had no trouble taking the bearing out and replacing it. This side was incredibly hard to remove and has not gone well going in (as you can see).

https://imgur.com/gallery/tVG86hJ

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You'll be fine . Take the new bearing and place it in the freezer for an hour or two.
Take some 400 grit sand paper and just dress up the area where the marks are.
A little bit of grease in that area andi it should go together easier.

eldar11

TDI
2003 MkIV Golf GLS TDI
Cheers, I had frozen the bearing to start and had been heating the knuckle to get the old one out, and used a coating of grease.

I'll clean up that area and try again after the bearing is cold again.

Rrgrassi, you freeze the bearing, which makes it shrink because of thermal expansion (or retraction? In this case) the dimensions of the bearing become smaller and therefore easier to press into the knuckle.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Ok, makes sense. I thought you would freeze the knuckle to make it a hair smaller so the bearing could be I stalled a bit easier.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nope other way around, freeze the bearing to make it smaller and heating the knuckle with make it slightly larger, and use the grease ..... it will help.

eldar11

TDI
2003 MkIV Golf GLS TDI
Update:

I sanded the edges down from the crooked early attempts with the bearing with 400grit and followed it with a scotch Brite pad and made sure the surface was clean again.

Then a thin coat of Moly grease, and back on the press. I first positioned everything straight, but noticed the side that got marked up before was tilting down, so I started over and repositioned the press to only press on the side that had not been messed up before.

The bearing shimmied a little bit, but then started to be straight, I moved it all back to center and it pressed in like normal and didn't put up a fight, success! Now don't forget that snap ring before you press the hub on, ask me how I know...

http://imgur.com/gallery/RNQbHHb

Of note, I had always been using grease and freezing the bearing and it's 90+deg F here so the hub is nice and warm (could do more with the oven but so far between here and there that it's not worth it. Although I could have put the press in the kitchen....)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI