intake manifold cleaning, now car wont start

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, sold.... 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI loved it, but had to sell it, replaced it with a low miled 2003 Jetta Sedan and just sold it when I got a 2009 Jetta, 2005 Dodge Cummins 6 speed, short bed, 4 door, 4wd , 2010 Jetta 6 speed, wifes car
Guys,

I did my intake manifold cleaning this weekend, changed the fuel filter and started the car. I let it run about 15 seconds until I got the low coolant alarm. I shut it off added coolant and went to restart and it wont start. It will crank fine but now start. Antishudder is open and I vac'ed fuel thru the filter. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,
Scott

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Crack one of the injector lines at the injector and crank the engine (have rag handy to catch the fuel). You can vac to fill the filter but air past that point just compresses. Release the air and you'll likely fire right up.

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, sold.... 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI loved it, but had to sell it, replaced it with a low miled 2003 Jetta Sedan and just sold it when I got a 2009 Jetta, 2005 Dodge Cummins 6 speed, short bed, 4 door, 4wd , 2010 Jetta 6 speed, wifes car
Ill give it a try. I cracked the line at the IP but I didnt have anything there.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you cracked the line and got no fuel, you have no fuel to burn.

Crack the injector line and you should see fuel running into the pump via the clear line, and you should get fuel leaking at the cracked line. If you crack the line at the IP you can verify the IP has fuel. Then you can crack the line at the injector and crank till you fuel, then you know you have fuel.

KROUT

persona non grata
did you refill the filter or put it on dry. If you put it on dry you have lost the prime to the pump. You will need to refill the pump and filter and then bleed the injector lines. There is a plug on the engine side of the pump pull that and pour fuel into the inlet of the pump until it runs out that plug. Fill the filter then bleed the lines.

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
guys thanks for the help. I put the filter in full. I think since i changed the filter while it was on jacks from doing the manifold cleaning it lost its prime. it just never happened to me before. Anyway I had to crack 2 injectors and she started, rough, but it did start and runs great!

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear your back up and running. Where in Illinois are you, its a long state?
right around lake shelbyville, smack in the middle. !