NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The MY 2014s are presumably the last of the CR generation. This suggests that re-engineering of the CR fuel system is probably at an end, absent any shocking moves by NHTSA, which we don't expect. The CR is about to be replaced by the EA288 engine on the MQB platform. What fuel system [risk] the EA288 has is not known to me.
The MY 2014s are presumably the last of the current CR generation (I fixed this sentence for you). The EA288 will still be a CR Diesel, but it will be different. It may or may not have the same vulnerability. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
There are more cr's than CR's

> The MY 2014s are presumably the last of the current CR generation ...

"CR" is the tag this forum uses to discuss the current generation TDIs (a'la PD, ALH). I'm not aware of any settled tag for the next gen. Although the EA288 engine will be a common rail, I suspect TDI Forum won't call it a "CR". We'll probably have to wait until we see the engine code on the build sticker.

I shall be very surprised if VW hasn't taken steps with the EA288 to reduce the self-destruct hazard to at least Passat levels, but then, I didn't think they let the CR problem fester this long, so I could easily be mistaken.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
CR = Common Rail = HPFP delivering high pressure fuel to injectors via common line.

Has absolutly *NOTHING* to do with brand, model, generation, etc. . . . It's a generic, industry wide term, much like 'diesel' . . .

- Tim

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
> The MY 2014s are presumably the last of the current CR generation ...

"CR" is the tag this forum uses to discuss the current generation TDIs (a'la PD, ALH). I'm not aware of any settled tag for the next gen. Although the EA288 engine will be a common rail, I suspect TDI Forum won't call it a "CR". We'll probably have to wait until we see the engine code on the build sticker...
CR just stands for Common Rail. It is not a tidclub or VW specific moniker. It applies to Chevy, Dodge, Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc.

BRM and BEW were VW designations for pumpe duese (PD) fuel injection systems. ALH, AHU, 1Z were VW engine designations for rotary pump systems. Those are different than the use of CR to describe the current technology generically.

LDS4964

TDI
none at present
I drove two new TDIs yesterday...a Golf and a Jetta. They had no M6 cars available. Traffic was pretty heavy on 1-410 and it this was around 2-3 PM and the 3-4 mile drive,while also talking with the sales guy,was not much to go on. If I were to buy,I'd get a Jetta with the manual.

He said there are more Jettas with M6s in the area and very few Golfs so equipped.

I also drove a Mazda 3 with the 155hp 2L and a M6. It's a 41/hwy car. I drove this one about an hour after the VW trips. It was another drive of about 5 miles with not much of an opportunity to get a good up-and-down feel for it's characteristics.

Both the '3' and the TDIs feel very different in every way than my '12 Civic Si. Generally,I like the VWs more than the Mazda. My Si is only about 31/hwy so it is,for me,not a good one for doing some long driving trips(my income is lower,these days).

I'm not sure which way I'll go at this time. This site is very informative and I appreciate the knowledge and flow.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I drove two new TDIs yesterday...a Golf and a Jetta. They had no M6 cars available. Traffic was pretty heavy on 1-410 and it this was around 2-3 PM and the 3-4 mile drive,while also talking with the sales guy,was not much to go on. If I were to buy,I'd get a Jetta with the manual.

He said there are more Jettas with M6s in the area and very few Golfs so equipped.

I also drove a Mazda 3 with the 155hp 2L and a M6. It's a 41/hwy car. I drove this one about an hour after the VW trips. It was another drive of about 5 miles with not much of an opportunity to get a good up-and-down feel for it's characteristics.

Both the '3' and the TDIs feel very different in every way than my '12 Civic Si. Generally,I like the VWs more than the Mazda. My Si is only about 31/hwy so it is,for me,not a good one for doing some long driving trips(my income is lower,these days).

I'm not sure which way I'll go at this time. This site is very informative and I appreciate the knowledge and flow.
The Golf is a litte more sporty than the Jetta.

LDS4964

TDI
none at present
Yes,I noticed that during the drive. I like these and may take a chance on a '14;if not,I'll still be monitoring developments for a possible future purchase.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
If I were buying now, I would get a closeout 2013 Jetta Hybrid.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If I were buying now, I would get a closeout 2013 Jetta Hybrid.
I like mine a lot !Good looking and performing car!! It doesn't get 5the gas mileage they said would......however I refuse to Hypermile it and the average is still over 5 MPG than the lifetime on my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI was!!

LDS4964

TDI
none at present
That's what the sticker claimed,with the A6 getting 40 mpg hwy.

My old 93 Civic got a best of 43/hwy (calculated) with the AC off. It was a 100hp 1.5L with a M5. Some sob stole it in 2006.

kchizmar

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hpfp went out 2010 Jetta

Have a 2010 Jetta TDi that's broken high pressure fuel pump just shot shards of metal throughout my engine. I see there are MANY MANY service bulletins out for this issue so VW is well aware that it is a problem! Stand by your product VW before you get slapped with a class action lawsuit!!! I love my Jetta but 6-10,000$ in repairs for an issues VW should take care of is a bit much

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Have a 2010 Jetta TDi that's broken high pressure fuel pump just shot shards of metal throughout my engine. I see there are MANY MANY service bulletins out for this issue so VW is well aware that it is a problem! Stand by your product VW before you get slapped with a class action lawsuit!!! I love my Jetta but 6-10,000$ in repairs for an issues VW should take care of is a bit much
A problem yes; but check with your dealer. Its pretty well know by now that VW has been picking up the tab to fix your car. Check it out.

Good Luck

kchizmar

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
A problem yes; but check with your dealer. Its pretty well know by now that VW has been picking up the tab to fix your car. Check it out.

Good Luck

Thanks
Yes I've been in contact with VW after reading all the info out there on the net. I'm hoping this issue will be resolved easily. VW said they have to look into what is wrong with my car.
My question is I have seen posts saying entire motors have needed to be replaced..if that's the case sometimes wouldn't that be the smarter option for preventative reasons?
I just want it done and done right I have a feeling I will be making a few trips back and forth to the dealership unfortunately ugh

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I can't recall ever reading a recommendation to change an engine for a HPFP failure. Perhaps timing belt gone horribly wrong, but not HPFP.

- Tim

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've never heard of an engine requiring replacement/rebuild for a failed HPFP either.

taser

TDI
Jetta
Great

Hopefully I'm not screwed. I just bought a 2010 Sportwagen TDI. This will be jetta Tdi number 3. 2 previous 2000 alh. I love that engine and did all work myself. Number 2 is going strong at 240k. I know how to care for a diesel.

Bought a 2010 to be the new family car. Drove it from CA to albuquerque no issues. Stalled in a left turn of traffic would not restart. Towed it home, pulled the filter and found the dreaded metal flakes. Car has 140k on it. Stall was 5 secs aft glow plug light illuminated and check engine illuminated. Cel code was fuel pressure low p087.

Where do I go from here? Will VW cover this or should I see if my insurance will? I read that usaa had covered a previous failure. Is there any way to convert to an alh setup? What about a 4bt injection pump. I'm not a fan of this cr setup. Please help, baby is on the way and the car is dead

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Check with the dealer before you do ANYthing else. Only they can answer whether it will be covered. At that mileage, it might take some pressure. Keep us up to date.

The entire concept of common-rail injection cannot function with a separate distributor-type injection pump (of the type that older diesels, e.g. VW ALH or Cummins 4BT) are using. It is fundamentally incompatible.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hopefully I'm not screwed. I just bought a 2010 Sportwagen TDI. This will be jetta Tdi number 3. 2 previous 2000 alh. I love that engine and did all work myself. Number 2 is going strong at 240k. I know how to care for a diesel.

Bought a 2010 to be the new family car. Drove it from CA to albuquerque no issues. Stalled in a left turn of traffic would not restart. Towed it home, pulled the filter and found the dreaded metal flakes. Car has 140k on it. Stall was 5 secs aft glow plug light illuminated and check engine illuminated. Cel code was fuel pressure low p087.

Where do I go from here? Will VW cover this or should I see if my insurance will? I read that usaa had covered a previous failure. Is there any way to convert to an alh setup? What about a 4bt injection pump. I'm not a fan of this cr setup. Please help, baby is on the way and the car is dead
Please be sure to both file claims with NHTSA. They still have an open investigation on the HPFP failures and your details may help. Also please post the details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854&highlight=hpfp+failure

taser

TDI
Jetta
VW will not pay for anything (as expected). Usaa sounds like they will as long as they find contaminated fuel. We will see. Any other advice?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
How many miles since you bought it until failure? If you bought from a dealer there should be some sort of limited warranty, so back to where you bought and also the last place that you fueled.

taser

TDI
Jetta
Bought it private party. I have never had a problem with VW reliability. I'm on the fence whether or not to keep it even if the insurance pays for the repairs. If it is totaled I'm considering buying it back and trying to convert it to an alh

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That sucks. Your car has 140K on it. While no manufacturer will "good will" repair components with that much mileage on them, it's not a question of if the HPFP will fail, it's when it will fail.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Keep pushing VW. Contact Customer Care. Let them know you know about the NHTSA investigation and that your a loyal VW owner etc...