2012 Golf TDI Tech Package has KESSY?

McCarron

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ Tech Package
It appears that early 2012 Golf TDIs with Tech Package may have KESSY installed according to this thread over on Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...package-push-to-start&p=72737135#post72737135

I also found it in the comments here: http://askavwsalesguy.com/blog/2011/6/30/2012-golf-tdi-gets-new-wheels.html
Today I saw a 2012 Golf TDI, eventhou not specified on paper it had the DRL LED's, Push to start button and 17 Salamancas
This isn't listed on the order guides or anything else, so I hope it's a feature that doesn't get removed later on as I'm ordering a Golf with Tech Package and would love to get KESSY. This seems to keep the car more in line feature wise with the GTI Autobahn at similar prices.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I don't get the "KESSY" system. I had something similar in my Mazda CX9, but the key fob was flat and the size of a credit card, making it easy to carry in my wallet. In this case, you still need to deal with the big awkward key fob, so what's the real advantage here?

zweeks

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr 6M Tech Pkg
I don't get the "KESSY" system. I had something similar in my Mazda CX9, but the key fob was flat and the size of a credit card, making it easy to carry in my wallet. In this case, you still need to deal with the big awkward key fob, so what's the real advantage here?
I have to agree TDIinMA. I now have the KESSY thing, and it's awkward? I don't know where to put the keys and I don't like sitting in the car with the big key fob in my pocket? I'm worried that I'll just leave the keys in my car by mistake. In time, I suppose that I'll get used to it...

path

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
keyless is cool, however i have noticed that i worry about leaving the fob in the car by mistake. strangely enough, the keyless systems i like best have a place to put the fob in the dash where a traditional key would go!

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
keyless is cool, however i have noticed that i worry about leaving the fob in the car by mistake. strangely enough, the keyless systems i like best have a place to put the fob in the dash where a traditional key would go!
So that again begs the question, if the fob has to be inserted into a spot in the dash, what is the point of a keyless system? It becomes a redesigned ignition and key. Just divorced from the lock cylinder.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
So that again begs the question, if the fob has to be inserted into a spot in the dash, what is the point of a keyless system? It becomes a redesigned ignition and key. Just divorced from the lock cylinder.
I had a Kessy equipped Touareg for almost 2 years before I got my Golf. I must say, out of al the features, the lack of kessy is the one I miss the most.

The convenience of not having to press a button to open the door is something you only notice once you don't have it anymore. I keep finding myself wondering why the door is not opening and then realize I have to find the stupid button on the fob to open it.

Hate to say it, but knowing the kessy is now on the 2012 makes me regret getting a 2011. For day to day use, there's nothing more convenient. Leave the keys hanging from your finger, get in the car, go. When you get out, you'll remember the keys. It's like a cellphone. You know when you don't have it on your and you feel naked without it. Trust me, you will not forget your keys in your car.

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
silly bells & whistles.....in 20 years we are gonna be hearing people say, "My last car I had to drive, its so nice that my car drives itself now"...lol

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
"Me too! Me toooooo!"

Same with the LEDs going EVERYwhere.

McCarron

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ Tech Package
I got the updated order guide for the 2012 Golf. This is what it shows now, so this confirms that KESSY seems to be on the TDI Tech Package only.

2.0L Golf TDI® w/ Sunroof & Nav. 2 & 4-Door — Model Codes: 5K159L, 5K159M, 5K169L, 5K169M
Includes 2.0L Golf TDI® features, plus: sunroof w/ power tilt & sliding, RNS 315 radio navigation system (removes
Aux-In & compass)

2.0L Golf TDI® w/ Tech Package 2 & 4-Door — Model Codes: 5K179L, 5K179M, 5K189L, 5K189M
Includes 2.0L Golf w/ Sunroof & Nav. features, plus: Bi-Xenon head lamps w/ AFS, Dynaudio® premium sound
system, smart key

okashira

TDI
2012 Golf ordered
I got the updated order guide for the 2012 Golf. This is what it shows now, so this confirms that KESSY seems to be on the TDI Tech Package only.
I think this is completely lame.

The tech package requires the NAV/Sunroof package (why the hell are these together...?)

I don't want a sunroof.
I don't want NAV.
I don't want the "premium" sound.

The only things I wanted was the Xenon's, but also the smart key now that it's available.

The price is just silly for the tech package...

Edit: and thanks for posting that.

Last edited:

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a Kessy equipped Touareg for almost 2 years before I got my Golf. I must say, out of al the features, the lack of kessy is the one I miss the most.

The convenience of not having to press a button to open the door is something you only notice once you don't have it anymore. I keep finding myself wondering why the door is not opening and then realize I have to find the stupid button on the fob to open it.

Hate to say it, but knowing the kessy is now on the 2012 makes me regret getting a 2011. For day to day use, there's nothing more convenient. Leave the keys hanging from your finger, get in the car, go. When you get out, you'll remember the keys. It's like a cellphone. You know when you don't have it on your and you feel naked without it. Trust me, you will not forget your keys in your car.
I barely miss the Mazda version only because I never even had to THINK about my key fob, much less touch it. It was in my wallet and I always carried my wallet everywhere I went. Same deal for my wife. She'd toss the thing into a zippered compartment in her purse and forget it even existed.

As for this VW "KESSY" setup, it doesn't seem to make such sense. You still have to handle and worry about the location of your key .. so, no big deal/gain in my book. No real advantage over pressing a button or inserting a key into the ignition.

jmhos

Last edited:

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
No real advantage over pressing a button or inserting a key into the ignition.
jmhos
I guess to each his own. I miss that feature a lot. I constantly keep pulling the door handle and wondering why the car is not opening. Then I have to find the button on the thing, press it, open the door...god this sounds like ridiculous winning on my part, but it's so annoying when it happens. lol

Mainly when the key is in my pocket and my hands are full and I have to dig for it. Or when I leave the car w/ both hands full of stuff on my way to work, I hit the door closed and it won't lock on it's own. I have to drop everything, find the damn thing and then push a stupid button. It's knowing that there's an easier way that is annoying.

Now, don't even get me started on the headlights not turning off w/ the car. How hard is it to put a freaking relay and cut power to it when I turn off the engine? I guess I'll find out this weekend.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess to each his own. I miss that feature a lot. I constantly keep pulling the door handle and wondering why the car is not opening. Then I have to find the button on the thing, press it, open the door...god this sounds like ridiculous winning on my part, but it's so annoying when it happens. lol

Mainly when the key is in my pocket and my hands are full and I have to dig for it. Or when I leave the car w/ both hands full of stuff on my way to work, I hit the door closed and it won't lock on it's own. I have to drop everything, find the damn thing and then push a stupid button. It's knowing that there's an easier way that is annoying.

Now, don't even get me started on the headlights not turning off w/ the car. How hard is it to put a freaking relay and cut power to it when I turn off the engine? I guess I'll find out this weekend.
I can definitely see how that would be annoying. I did get used to just pressing the little button on the handle of the CX9 and turning the built in key, but I adjusted back rather easily. I guess I rarely approach my car without the key in hand.

I thought I would miss things like this along with HID lights, auto lights/wipers/seat, backup camera, etc. but the only one I really missed was the auto-dimming rear view mirror and homelink, which I added via Gentex. Most of the other stuff can be added too, but why bother? The fun factor of driving the nimble JSW with 6MT overshadows all of the above and then some (not to mention getting more than TWICE the mileage!). I have learned my lesson and won't stray from VW anymore. ;)

Last edited:

evanworld

TDI
2012 Golf Tech 2D 6M; United Gray
After driving a Honda Element LX where there's no fob, just plain ole' good ole' key, I like the KESSY, and it's easy to take it for granted.

Things to remember: no fishing for keys or fob in the bottom of your bag, no fumbling for buttons in the dark. This hassle over the course of years could cost you ... minutes! It's not a huge feature. It's nice, but a key's a key and when the KESSY breaks down along with the MFI in 2021, I'll be pining for the simple days.

My one gripe and I don't know why this bugs me, but the half-dollar sized start button is exactly where the ignition key would go. I understand the technical reasons, but it just feels unimaginative (VW you coulda had a Saab moment!) and a missed opportunity for a cool integration of start control. KESSY is welcome and obviously technology not fully harnessed. Welcome to the Middle Ages, VW.

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
My '12 JSW TDi (pano, Nav, Portos) has the KESSY. When I was originally looking for mine I couldn't locate a CW 6mt with the above packages. Well, Chris found some in CT but they are a 2 plate state and he was wary of getting them in that I was adamant about not having a bumper with holes. So, I ordered a '12 version when the actual specs weren't even out. I was really hoping that VW would do something right and add the xenons but they didn't. However they did add the KESSY to my version. At first I was a bit worried that it would be similar to a Passat I test drove 2yrs ago. You put the key fob in a slot in the dash to start it. I thought, what's the use in that? Keyless but you have to put your key fob in a slot. Sounded like a key to me. Anyway, the KESSY has been a pleasant surprise. Key fob goes in my pocket and then I just walk up to "Vin" and reach for the door handle and voila, unlocked. Course my passengers have to wait til I hit the unlock button for the rest of the doors. I keep telling them that "Vin" loves me;). Starting, just push the button. I wish that VW had relocated the start button to the dash though. Just think it's cooler. Of course the liftgate is the same. Walk up and touch the latch. Nice not to have to grab your keys and hit a button to unlock the door you want. I like the KESSY

Daniel L

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Course my passengers have to wait til I hit the unlock button for the rest of the doors. I keep telling them that "Vin" loves me;).
On the Golf you can set the car to open all the doors rather than just your door through the MFI.

I've had the car for almost two months now and I've probably used the remote twice ever. It's nice to be able to just leave my keychain in my coin pocket (that little pocket on the right side of your jeans) in the morning and not think about it all day.

BTW, the valet key can start the car. The keys have another transponder that works at/near contact range without the need for batteries. You just hold the keys right next to the ignition button and press the ignition button.

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
On the Golf you can set the car to open all the doors rather than just your door through the MFI.
Cool, I haven't looked that up yet. Don't know if I will set it that way. Vin is pretty much a one man car and the majority of the time (back and forth to work) it's just me. Kind of like that only the driver's door unlocks...a bit of a security thing. Not that I frequent dark and lonely places;)

I've had the car for almost two months now and I've probably used the remote twice ever. It's nice to be able to just leave my keychain in my coin pocket (that little pocket on the right side of your jeans) in the morning and not think about it all day.
I'm with you. Put the clicker in my pocket and just leave it there. I've got a house key and some stuff on mine so it's not as convenient to put in the coin pocket.

BTW, the valet key can start the car. The keys have another transponder that works at/near contact range without the need for batteries. You just hold the keys right next to the ignition button and press the ignition button.
Yes, I knew about that. My spare clicker and valet key reside in the spare key bin along with wife's Murano, daughter's Honda, son's Fit, and my old/going to my younger son Maxima.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Anyone know of a way to have the car running and lock the doors without leaving the fob inside the car?

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I have to agree TDIinMA. I now have the KESSY thing, and it's awkward? I don't know where to put the keys and I don't like sitting in the car with the big key fob in my pocket? I'm worried that I'll just leave the keys in my car by mistake. In time, I suppose that I'll get used to it...
Just put in your pocket and forget about it. It's there when you do need the range of the keyless entry. Like verifying that you did lock it when you're a dozen yards away from the car - although it's supposed to auto-lock after a brief period.

It does get some getting used to. Sometimes, I park and still look for the key to shut off the car instead of hitting the start/stop button.

I'm more afraid of forgetting which pants I left the key in and if I washed it in the previous evening's laundry.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I had KESSY on my Jetta, and miss it now in my Golf. The best thing about KESSY is never having to take your key out of your pocket. It sucks getting in your car, and trying to dig you key out of your pocket. Plus I don't like a bunch of keys dangling and swinging from your key in the ignition.

Now that I have been without it for awhile it, I am used to starting a car the old school way again. KESSY is a nice feature though. The one bad thing about KESSY though, it has about 5 prox sensors, and an electronic steering wheel lock. I would worry that any of these devices will fail sooner or later, and would be expensive to replace.

Taking some complexity away from an already complex VW may be a good thing, as there are less things to break.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
everything is getting more complicated.

My dad's 1987 Cadillac Coupe de Ville has enough open space in the engine bay to hide several road kill deer.

I look in either '04 or '12 Jetta engine bay hoping I don't drop any tools into the various crevices.