Where is my tow hook hiding?

haugie

TDI
Passatt GLS 2005 Silver
In a quick introduction to my Passat the dealer told me that the front tow hook was in the trunk. To use it you took the front passenger grill off and screwed it in there. I started looking for the tow hook.. I can't find it. yes I may be blind. Can anyone tell me where this is hiding? My Passat is a 2005. Did they do something different. I can see no where in the Manual where it even talks about tow hooks at all.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

If it's where mine was in my 2002 automatic Wagon, it should be in with the spare and
jack combination, unless someone put the old 'five-finger discount' on it?

Or do you suppose that VW figures they can save a buck by not including that handy little item?

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
On my Jetta their's a foam insert in the spare tire that holds several handy tools. the tow hook is an eye about two fingers wide with a left handed bolt as a base. You should have your tire change tools along with this. Make sure you have it all as you only may need it once but at that point you will be needing it with some desperation. Your owners manual will have a list of tools that come with the car.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
My '04 MY Jetta TDI manual xmission had the tow hook in the foam insert on the spare tire. Both my '05 Passat TDIs do not have a tow hook. Maybe VW does not want anyone to pull an auto xmission vehicle?

haugie

TDI
Passatt GLS 2005 Silver
I have a sedan. I removed my spare tire, there was nothing under it. The jack and tools are on the drivers side pocket in the trunk. I took them out searched under everything, took everything out of tool kit. Nothing there. Maybe we can only be pulled out in reverse. The tow hook is permanent in the rear. Now I feel better knowing that other Passats are missing their hooks as well!

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
On my 05 passat, the tow hook in mounted where it is supposed to be for towing, lower right side grill, just left of the right (passanger side) fog light. I was wondering why there wasn't one on the drivers side, and how is a tow truck operator supposed to remove the grill to get to it! No mention of grill removal in my book.
-----------------------------------------------------------
05 black pd tdi passat
99 blue twin stack mack
with a shack on the back

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Grille comes out really easy.....you'll see two places on the top slat of the grille that need to be pushed down (found near the outside edges of the plastic). Once depressed the grille piece pops out with ease. Takes about 10 seconds once you get the hang of it. Only pain is if your car has a bra....you need to remove it to access the tow hook in the front.

haugie

TDI
Passatt GLS 2005 Silver
Thanks! I do have a bra on, or are we politcallly correct and call them masks now? That is why I didn't check under the grill first. It looks like a redesign where the hook does not have to be installed anymore.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Thanks! I do have a bra on, or are we politcallly correct and call them masks now?
Do you mean we aren't supposed to call them "boulder holders" anymore?
I thought they were "over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders". Or maybe "double-barrelled-slingshots". Or "go-fer holders" as in "undo it and they go-fer the floor". Is this considered off-topic?