Has anyone dealt with Bill 87turboquttro??? any feed back?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Knowing that I'm on the performance section, and since this member Bill (87turboquttro) does some performance services for TDICLUB.members, I believe this is where I need to post to make everyone else aware of my bad experience with him,.

I hang around in this section to retrieve and share critical information to keep our beloved TDI's on the peak for a high performance cars, I'd like to say that I have never had any major issues with any members or vendors from this forum and if there was a any issue or miscommunication with anyone in the past, our issues were resolved in a nice professional way, I'd like to also add, that this is a great forum and I would like to keep it this way..

Others who had any similar issues with Bill (87turboquttro) I'd like to hear from you, if you could share with the rest of us so we would know who we can't trust, and not take us for a ride,,, Here is my experience with him,,, In the past he ported my ALH head on my golf and I did not have any problems at the time. He shipped the head back to me and I paid him fully within a week as agreed, He asked me over the phone to please sell to him my other used German ALH head with the high lift cam, saying he would pay me once he got them. So, I shipped them both to him, and up until now (4+ months later) and counting!! since the deal was made, he still has not paid for them, Or return them back to me or get a hold of me to resolve this issue. I have made several phone calls to him and he hangs up when he sees my phone number on his cell ID, I've tried many ways to recover them with no luck whatsoever,,

I feel as a member of this wonderful forum, I have an obligation to inform fellow members and share my experience with him,so that other members understand, BUYER BEWARE. This forum has always been known for being friendly and I've found out over the years that this is where honest vendors and members have always been helpful and upfront,, If there is someone that would like to share any other experience, please feel free to post in my thread. We need to work together to reserve the good name of TDICLUB.COM or it will become like one of the others forums who we know as not so trustworthy.

Also I would like to add if he tries to sell and hook anyone up with a used ALH head and hi lift cam, that head and cam legally belongs to me,,,

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
That does suck. I know KROUT has worked with him before, got a ported head that made his ALH scream! But that was years ago...

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I have used him.

I have never met him in person, just over the phone. I shipped him the head and he ported it for my BEW.

In his defense, he had had hand surgery shortly before I sent it to him and at that time he said it would take a week to get it done and the charge would be $475-$500. When he was finished with the head the cost was $950 nearly twice what he quoted me and took over a month to be completed. As I felt my head would be held for ransom, I just quietly paid him.

He did do the work and the porting looked good, however it took over a month for the work to be done and when he shipped it back it was not protected at all. Shipped in a box way too big with little to no padding.

It was packaged so badly, the small pressed in coolant fitting in the side of the head was bent and had to be replaced. Thank god it was bent because behind it was a bunch of metal shavings from the porting. If it had not been found, my engine would most likely have been toast in seconds of start up. He also assembeld the head and my mechanic had to disassemble it as the valves were not even close to adjusted. This caused me to have to buy hardware twice.

When I informed him of the broken coolant fitting, the shavings and the valve adjustment he had the audacity to inform me I still owed him another $50 for the shipping.

I am happy with the port job but would never use him again. I will only use local people so I can go to their place of business and get some payback when they try and eff with me.

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
I used him with no problems. He is a little slow to ge things done but I had no issues. I send him a head with 800 cash in the box. lol

Lofty86

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 VW Golf 2.0 16v PD140
Wow, you guys are all way too trusting!

I'd pay, get a head sent out and send mine back as surcharge.

(although I wouldnt, 'cos im porting my own).
D

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
He also assembeld the head and my mechanic had to disassemble it as the valves were not even close to adjusted. This caused me to have to buy hardware twice.

Say what ? :confused: What do you mean the "valves were not even close to adjusted ?" I was reading thru this thread and this really jumped out at me. I am not taking sides AT ALL (I never did any business with the aforementioned), just curious what you are talking about.

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Say what ? :confused: What do you mean the "valves were not even close to adjusted ?" I was reading thru this thread and this really jumped out at me. I am not taking sides AT ALL (I never did any business with the aforementioned), just curious what you are talking about.

I am not a mechanic.

The mechanic I have used many, many times before and have every reason to trust him, told me he had to completely disassemble and reassemble. This was also due to finding the pile of shavings in the water galley.

The mechanic is a trusted GURU and arguably the foremost TDI mechanic in North America.

BTW- A few folks here were following my build thread and some comments I had made about getting my head ported and PM's me to find out if it was Bill doing the work cause they had been waiting months and months with thier head at Bills shop. They also stated once done the price quoted was nearly doubled. I wil let them comment on their own if they choose.

I have nothing against Bill, just telling the truth.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
He probably meant the valve installed heights weren't correct or consistent. I've seen that quite a few times before.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
You aren't talking about Troy, are you? Because if so, it turns out he has NO time for ANY jobs -- NOT until he's done with my crank position sensor machining.

If it's someone else, then I apologize in advance . . .
Ha ha, nope not Troy.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Man robert that sucks.
You know Justin I fell for the trap and BS from him, I guess live and learn, although I must admit that this forum I have met and dealt with my greatest honor with vendors, buyers that are so trustworthy that I can still do business with them with my eyes closed, , my posting has a message for all of you guys, be aware of whom we can't trust.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
So Justin, who is "our guy here in portland". I had been contemplating my next bit of top end work which as porting and I am glad I found this thread. Warning vs. possible closer machining source.
TIA,
Bruce

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
So far, Bill has done almost all of my cylinder heads and I've had nothing but good experiences with dealing with him. The first one he ever did for me it felt like the engine had another cylinder added when I wasn't looking.. In fact, he did my last cylinder head for my high lift/rpm setup and sent it to me a LOT faster than I thought he would, kinda bailed me out last minute, and he even send it back to me before I paid him (unfortunate series of events on my end). I've been to his shop, he deals mostly with marine engines, and when it's warm out it's his busy season so he can be a little tough to get in touch with..

He'll be doing my next high rpm cylinder head..

OldGreaser

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Let's not spin like a vortex, we're a lot better than that

( Bill's reply post number 45 see below ), Bill said he would send the head back. I was ready to buy it from Robert. I know the head and what it was like when Robert removed it, then 5 months later sold if off to Bill. It was NOT warped and in Good shape. Those of you who raced next to MAXRPM knew how tight it was. Here Bill says he will return it. Eat 60 but he never did. So what is up with this?!?! Bill, you need show the return shipping paper work. We as member need to have some kind of corner in this TDICLUB forum to deal with people who burn members. I have known Robert from day one with this club. Straight, open and honest. I've done thousands of dollars of dealings buying his past setup of mod parts. NEVER a problem, NEVER. Maybe we as members can figure out a way, with Fred's help, to design a way to remove the cancer from the forum. I've read some nasty accounts of sellers and buyer ( private and venders ) taking advantage of membership. We have an oppertunity here to come up with some ideas for the good of the TDICLUB. My personal take is, if someone wants to sell something, he or she should get two or three Veteran Members to co-sign the parts transaction so if something goes wrong, the co-signers can step in and save the day. Maybe create a system to score the transaction and post it on the forum. In the hard times of our economy, more and more scams are popping up online. Would be interesting to hear what other feed back is known about this guy. If I sound harsh about this, it is because I feel strongly that the TDICLUB Forum needs to do a little bit more to self patrol. If I get booted or get my hand spanked, then I do NOT want to be a part of it. The difference between TDICLUB and the other online forums is pride in a club membership and honest people. I belong to a Ford Truck Club, a Corvette Club, and a flying clubs and we, the membership would pull together and address a theft issue, or other wrong doing, even bring charges if need be. But not here. Maybe someday it will advance. This way we are not alone when someone decides to rip us off via the Forum.. If we don't become a part of the salution, we allow ourselves to be part of the problem.

just saying it needs fixin

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=312238 << read it on post #45 is same as below

87turboquattro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 passat
Fuel Economy: 42-46mpg city,52-62mpg hwy

nice,you change the deal,i'm out the 400 for longer custom valves(stage 3 colt cam) and you want me to buy a head w/ blown out guides and warped for 500.told you,i'm sending all your stuff back.guess i'll eat the 60 for shipping too.
btw,you called during my daughters graduation on the 19th.i was a little busy.plus i'm doing work for actual paying "boat" guys

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Its a simple fix 2 options

1. PayPal credit card payment within 60 days dispute via credit card company

2. Deal with vendors"only" and require them to put money in a third party escrow controlled by the forum. Amount of escrow will depend on scope of work.

Don't forget Gents a reputable vendor can go out of business and declare bankruptcy. There's always a risk.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Deal with vendors"only" and require them to put money in a third party escrow controlled by the forum. Amount of escrow will depend on scope of work.
Sounds like that will cost the forum $
How about folks just remember to be careful and speak up if you have a bad experience.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
How about Bill be banned from tdiclub? That's what should happen IMO. If a vendor is stealing from clubmembers, he doesn't need to be around here any longer.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I haven't done business with Bill, but I did speak to him about porting my head. I had a bad feeling about him, even though he quoted a good price for a moderate port job. Because of that "gut instinct", I spoke to more members about porting, and some vendors. I ended up going with Matt Whitbread who quoted me a good price. Turns out the price was higher as the shop he sends heads to get cleaned/checked raised their prices, and he apologized. I took his word for it when I got the head and saw the great work done. Later on when throwing away the box, I saw the invoice.

Bill, if you are making good money working on boats, stick with it. I hear a lot of porting people say that it is not worth the money for the hassle and I can imagine it! But then, why keep doing it if you have work doing boats (which is probably 5x more enjoyable anyway). Also, you don't have a right to complain about being called at a graduation because that wouldn't have happened if you did the right thing and paid OR returned the head. Simple solution!

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
so you want someone banned for one incident that NONE of us know both sides completely?
I think this thread has shown there is more than one instance. Like I said previously, I have had at least 3 members contact me privately who have not posted in this thread that had negative experiences.

I think you may have been the exception to the rule.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
negative experiences and actually getting ripped off are two totally different things.. I've had a few bad experiences dealing with several vendors on this site, but I don't say anything because it really wasn't that bad... And all but one of the vendors I've had bad experiences with I still deal with on a regular basis, I just pick and choose what I buy from each vendor..

If what the OP said really happened exactly like he said it did, then yeah that sucks.. But you know how EVERYONE acts with conflicts, and NONE of us know both sides accurately.. I'm sure there was a lot more said behind the scenes that's not out on this forum..

Besides, Street Toys isn't even banned and all of his former posts still have an active link to his website that will gladly take your money for products you will never receive...

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Banning him would be insaine. Especially since we have one side of the story. it made me lol though.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
I think this thread has shown there is more than one instance. Like I said previously, I have had at least 3 members contact me privately who have not posted in this thread that had negative experiences.

I think you may have been the exception to the rule.
People have come forward and said it was more expensive but no one has said they got ripped off by him other than the OP. You can not accurately give a price to redo a head until you see the condition of the head. Can you give more detail as to what all was done with your head like new guides valve retainers,porting, springs etc..... with the total price you paid.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
People have come forward and said it was more expensive but no one has said they got ripped off by him other than the OP. You can not accurately give a price to redo a head until you see the condition of the head. Can you give more detail as to what all was done with your head like new guides valve retainers,porting, springs etc..... with the total price you paid.

Price quoted to port disassembled head-$450 and a 1-2 week turnaround******Head was sent directly from Frank06 to Bill at my request. Frank had gone through head and repaired an egged lifter hole and installed new valve guides as well as hot tanked head so it was minty new.

Price quoted to assemble head= cam,lifters,valve height-$200

Should have been $650 in total and was there at Bills WAYYYY over a month, and arrived damaged, full of metal shavings and valve heights were completely wrong.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Price quoted to port disassembled head-$450 and a 1-2 week turnaround******Head was sent directly from Frank06 to Bill at my request. Frank had gone through head and repaired an egged lifter hole and installed new valve guides as well as hot tanked head so it was minty new.

Price quoted to assemble head= cam,lifters,valve height-$200

Should have been $650 in total and was there at Bills WAYYYY over a month, and arrived damaged, full of metal shavings and valve heights were completely wrong.[/QUO
So if Frank rebuilt the head why was Bill setting valve heights? Just trying to understand the whole complaint please dont take personal.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
450 seems really cheap considering the first head I sent him was triple that. He installed all new valves guides retainers duel valve springs and port.