Dsg oil change

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'd want to put a pressure regulator on if I did this... drawing the transmission down to a moderate or high vacuum doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
-J
i was thinking about this too... maybe adding some sort of vacuum break between the pump and vent .... or using a pela to induce just enough vacuum to help gravity along

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
DSG service #4 done yesterday. 161k+ miles now on my Jetta. I changed at 40, 80, 130, and 161. Never noticed any changes in performance or in color of the fluid with the extra 10k miles at 130. I believe our DSG is a closed or sealed system. If there is another opening or pressure relief valve, I'm not aware of it. That's why filling the DSG is so time consuming as the air space is replaced with fluid.

I tried the "add only what comes out" method once before, but found out that doesn't work. Just follow the procedure for adding 5.5 liters, let .5 to 1.0 liters drain out and your good to go. It is a very nerve racking feeling when your under the car, engine running, and you watch the excess fluid drain out.:eek: I start getting very anxious/worried as it drains out while waiting for that slow drain/drip before I put the drain plug back in. Eeeek!

I have used VAGCOM on 2 of the 4 DSG fluid changes. Waiting for the temperature to rise takes about 3-4 minutes. Shift through all the gears just like the directions tell you.

Has anyone looked through all the VCDS settings to see if there are readings which would indicate low DSG fluid level (or too high)? I would think there has to be some capability to monitor/measure what the DSG is doing, to include fluid levels (pressure?) as well as temperature. Anyone know the answer to this? I guess contacting Ross-Tech would be a good starting point.

Lastly, I had one bottle of DSG fluid with a 2011 fill date. Purchased the remaining fluid which had 2014 fill date. I used all the 2014 bottles and used .5l of the 2011 bottle. Doubt there is any concern, but wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

that round black part near the mechatronic electric connector looks an awful lot like a vent to me.

I noted temps in the VCDS for DSG fluid, Clutch pack fluid, and for the control unit.

think there is also a batch of pressure and control readings, as well as read-outs of inputs and outputs for control.

the adaptation process adjusts settings to keep things running as the DSG ages and wears.

might be worth some logging to see how the various readings line up.

I think one reason it takes a bit to fill is that we are talking 75 w gear oil, which is gets piped around at a couple hundred psi during operation. the spray jets to cool the wheels are the only way would expect fluid to exit the clean side of the filter, which is mis-used for a top fill. ( just saying not designed for that purpose, no judgment meant.)

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
meerschm-

The picture of the DSG is quite interesting. Thanks for posting! I'm not sure if I'm looking at a machine, futuristic creature, or what. This thing looks so complex. When I had the DPF delete and tune, I also had the DSG tune. The shifting has been really smooth since the modification. Not to mention the shift points are tweaked for better performance when "hot-rodding" around. From what I understand, the DSG tune is done directly into (connected to) the DSG itself, not the car's ECM. It's kind of amazing to me.

?... When VW was doing the DSG TSB a few years ago, was/is that the same as a DSG tune? Owners were complaining of a "hard shift" or something along those lines and VW was providing some sort of TSB. (if my memory recall is correct). Is that DSG tune any different than the DSG tune I got? I will contact Les at DieselDubs and ask if or what the difference is.

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
I am getting ready to do my 80K DSG change this week. I have the Febi-Bilstein oil (5L but I will have a 6th on hand) and the filter and washer.
I am planning to replace the stock filter cover with one of the finned aluminum replacements. It's probably voodoo, but my 2010 Golf MK VI TDI has a Stage 1 Unitronic ECU tune, and doing a little more to reduce the DSG temperature seems reasonable.

The measure/refill makes sense on practical terms, replacing what is removed, but that has to assume a normal amount is being removed, i.e., no leaks or losses beforehand. But if, for example, you drained out only 3.9L, you probably should still plan on putting in 4.6 L in refill (and then look for possible sites where you are losing fluid.) Your old fluid will be cooling and contracting once outside the case, so the only error might be in measuring too warm and replacing with cooler fluid of the same volume which when raised in temperature (and expanded) might give overfill (which you would find out about only by opening the drain plug with the snorkel in place.) So the drained fluid should be measured at the same temperature as the replacement fluid, to make the calculation as error-free as possible. It is not as if the fluid temperature (or difference in temperatures) doesn't matter at all, even though you aren't using the VCDS to measure it.

I was planning on doing the bottom fill method at first, but I can't see how it produces any more exact a replacement of the removed volume of fluid; it is just faster than gravity fill, at the expense of wasting fluid both in filling above the top of the snorkel (which then drops out and is wasted when it warms up) and in the filling apparatus lines. (In a shop, where you might have a drum of oil and compressed air line to pressurize the fill, that oil isn't wasted; in a DIY with a pump sprayer bottle setup, you would want to drain that back into a bottle to save it.) The VAG-COM or VCDS calibration with the snorkel in place to drain out your overfill at the 35-45 C temperature band takes time also. In a shop where the car is being serviced with the OBD connection throughout, VAG-COM is available and there is a time-critical work schedule, wasting a little oil is probably reasonable, expense-wise.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I just did my 2013 Passat last weekend, anyone see this type of DSG filter yet? the last letter of the part number is D rather than the more common C and has a plastic cage around the element. I hope the older style is ok, that's what the Dealer gave me to put back in.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I bought the VAS 6262A tool. What is the difference between it and the VAS 6262? That 8" standpipe on the tool sure looks tall.

I suppose it will all become clear when it comes to doing the job but I think I'll have that Walmart funnel on hand as back up.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

above is the older one. ( I have one of them) that little red plastic part has a valve that pops in and out to let air into the bottle. i have to give the bottle repeated squeeze and relax to let the fluid out and air back in.

I have never played with the new one, but i suspect those tubes allow air to enter the top of the fluid bottle (bottom really, when it is upside down) so you do not have to squeeze the bottle.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
i suspect those tubes allow air to enter the top of the fluid bottle (bottom really, when it is upside down) so you do not have to squeeze the bottle.
Bingo! :D

cakins

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG/BRM
I just did my 2013 Passat last weekend, anyone see this type of DSG filter yet? the last letter of the part number is D rather than the more common C and has a plastic cage around the element. I hope the older style is ok, that's what the Dealer gave me to put back in.

This filter looks vastly superior to the roll of toilet paper. I tried to find it by google searching "02E305051D" but could not find it anywhere. Also, has anyone had the courage to try the Red Line DCTF?

CLLARK1

TDI
2010 SPORTWAGEN 06 JETTA
Schwaben DSG & 6-Speed Automatic Transmission Fluid Service Tool is on sale at Sears.(http://www.sears.com/schwaben-dsg-6...p-00915657000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5) for 85.49.I have used this tool it works great.Simply connect to the bottle add air turn bottle upside down and open valve.It will dispense in about five seconds.Remember to turn your pressure down to about 5 psi my regulator would only go down to 10 psi and it held. You would not want the bottle to burst or the adapter to blow off.I believe you could also use for top fill by adjusting air pressure.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Schwaben DSG & 6-Speed Automatic Transmission Fluid Service Tool is on sale at Sears.(http://www.sears.com/schwaben-dsg-6...p-00915657000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5) for 85.49.I have used this tool it works great.Simply connect to the bottle add air turn bottle upside down and open valve.It will dispense in about five seconds.Remember to turn your pressure down to about 5 psi my regulator would only go down to 10 psi and it held. You would not want the bottle to burst or the adapter to blow off.I believe you could also use for top fill by adjusting air pressure.
A cool device, and far more reasonably priced than the VW tool. It would be good to have if I were a mechanic, doing DSG service on a regular basis. As it is, I think I'm just going to stick with my $8 Flo-Tool (I got mine off Amazon, but Wal-Mart, etc. carry it) and fill from the top through the filter housing. Many, many satisfied customers have been doing the drain, measure & replace method, and for some time and I see no reason to complicate it further.

NB: for all those people who claim that you must fill from the bottom and allow all the extra fluid to drain out of the snorkel: if there were anything that super-critical about the amount of fluid in the DSG, then why do so many people report draining a significantly larger amount at the initial 40K service? If that is overfilling, then it's pretty clear that the factory has no issues with it. I've heard no single complaint (and remember how Internet forums attract those!) that after they drained & then dumped in 5 liters, that the transmission went bad. (Although I believe a more likely scenario was that excess fluid would simply be discharged from the vent shown in post #63.)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
This filter looks vastly superior to the roll of toilet paper. I tried to find it by google searching "02E305051D" but could not find it anywhere. Also, has anyone had the courage to try the Red Line DCTF?
I took it apart, it was just thin paper and unraveled to be yards long. (got my wood fireplace going quickly) The C filter seems to be more of a foam?