Rain Started...Window Stopped

Bopper

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS Tornado Red
Right rear window stopped half way up, clunked, then stayed where it was. It did then go down via power. I can now hear the window motor running when I press the switch with no window movement.

I took the interior off and was able to manually push the window upwards while wife would hold the power switch towards up.

I searched the forums and found that regulator and clips are commonly mentioned. I need more help please.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Based on your description you almost certainly need a new regulator - should cost around $40 aftermarket and is fairly easy to replace given you have already removed the door card to gain access.

To remove the regulator, there are two bolts clamping the glass to the regulator (window needs to be about 2/3 down to access them) then 3 bolts holding the regulator to the inside of the door. Finally, the wiring harness connector has a cover you slide to disconnect.

Simon

Bopper

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS Tornado Red
Regulator was $59.00 special order at Autozone, got it in 2 days. Regulator removal was straight forward but nobody mentioned switching the motor over to the new regulator. Window did not need any adjustments after install and whole thing took less than an hour.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Mine just broke yesterday. I have the regulator zip tied to the cable for now and it works, but I imagine it will break again.

Good to know autozone can source them though.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Just in case - could be faulty wiring breaks in boot...

Sounds like your window regulator bit the dust but that it happened at the first rain suggests electrical issues maybe.

Pull back the door jam boot that covers the electrical wires and investigate for any wetness, broken wires or feel through the insulation for any internal broken wires.

Broken ground wires, the brown ones, could cause your window to only go part way up. This happened once on my old Quantum diesel that had power windows. Many of the thinner colored wires break internally before the insulation gives out and need to be carefully examined.

Anyway. Checking the wiring in the door electrical boot is a simple matter and takes just a little time. Could save you a bundle in time and expense.

There are quite a few threads on this issue. The wires get brittle with age and the insulation cracks. Wires can short or break apart.

If all is well with the boot then there is one other electrical matter that could be the trouble.

The black plastic motor drive unit of the regulator can have internal broken wiring. Careful hacksawing of the plastic case to expose the little printed circuit board often reveals connecting wires that have come unsoldered from the PC board.

There are threads about this as well.

Or you may find worn and busted up mechanicals in the regulator. Then all this is just good background info.