www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:19   #1
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Talking Hitch Advice - Problem Solved!

Update 6-10-19...problem solved! Westfalia fixed hitch ordered through PF Jones, 2006 T@B camper - 1600lbs dry/180lbs tongue.

Edited post!
Sounds like my best choices are: 1) install a stock Draw Tite or Curt hitch and beef up the suspension or springs to reduce sag; 2) find a shop who can customize a rig for me.
Any recommendations on someone in the Southeast USA who can think outside the box and make a set up work for a 12 Golf. I dislike the idea of a Curt/Draw Tite because they sit below the bumper. An Auto Hak from etowbars.com will cost around $600 just for the hitch and I can't find a source for a Bosal hitch.
Thank you!!

Last edited by PerpetualTraveler; June 10th, 2019 at 18:08. Reason: Adding Picture
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 10:20   #2
dandywriter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa (Kanata), Canada, eh?
Default

I have had a Bosal 50mm hitch for about 10 years. It's 1.97". It works without a problem with 2" couplers. I keep the ball and coupler mechanism lubed.


I'm looking at buying a 2012-2014 Golf Sportwagen and moving the hitch to that. Bumper has to come down, and exhaust briefly, but I'm happy with the Bosal (was a coin toss when I bought with Westphalia, shipping decided it).



You might want to consider Eco Hitch https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...tch/volkswagen . They have a 2" ball if you want it.
__________________
2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, traded in July 2019

Last edited by dandywriter; June 2nd, 2019 at 10:26. Reason: added detail
dandywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 11:09   #3
PB_NB
Veteran Member
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Default

When looking at the hitch, consider the tongue weight as well.

The tongue weight should be about 10% or greater of the trailer weight to balance out stability and swaying. If you go too light on the tongue, you can experience swaying at highway speeds (over ~60 to 65 mph). I say this because some of the hitches have a very low tongue weight maximum.



European designs allow for higher trailer weight with a lower tongue weight because motorists are restricted to a maximum speed (I think it is 60 mph) that wont get them in trouble with out of control swaying.

For example: the gooseneck style hitches have a max tow weight of 3,500 lbs but a max tongue weight of 165 lbs which is about 5%. (These may not be exact numbers)

When we built (nothing was available on the market) our hitch, we made sure that we could support a higher tongue weight. Our trailer is just over 2,000 lbs and the tongue is over 200 lbs. I usually don't drive over 65 mph with it just because it is a huge wind restrictor and acts like a parachute on the car.

The weight distribution hitches are a good idea and offer a good level of stability and drivability. They do put different loads on the car's chassis that should be considered.
__________________
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 16:17   #4
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
When looking at the hitch, consider the tongue weight as well.

The tongue weight should be about 10% or greater of the trailer weight to balance out stability and swaying. If you go too light on the tongue, you can experience swaying at highway speeds (over ~60 to 65 mph). I say this because some of the hitches have a very low tongue weight maximum.



European designs allow for higher trailer weight with a lower tongue weight because motorists are restricted to a maximum speed (I think it is 60 mph) that wont get them in trouble with out of control swaying.

For example: the gooseneck style hitches have a max tow weight of 3,500 lbs but a max tongue weight of 165 lbs which is about 5%. (These may not be exact numbers)

When we built (nothing was available on the market) our hitch, we made sure that we could support a higher tongue weight. Our trailer is just over 2,000 lbs and the tongue is over 200 lbs. I usually don't drive over 65 mph with it just because it is a huge wind restrictor and acts like a parachute on the car.

The weight distribution hitches are a good idea and offer a good level of stability and drivability. They do put different loads on the car's chassis that should be considered.
Nice setup! I'm towing an '06 T@B. Tongue weight is about 150-180lbs so it can be a little heavy on the front. Battery/propane and front galley all forward of the axel. I wish a place like CanAm were closer to they could customize the set up for my car. I'm trying to put all the components together myself and it's not working out well! Thanks for the advice!
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 16:46   #5
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Yeah, I really wanted an eco hitch first. Torklift doesn't make a hitch for a '12 Golf TDI but, if I want to drive to NW Washington, they'll make a custom one for me!

The Bosal hitch comes with a 2" ball? Can't seem to find where to order a Bosal either. ID Parts doesn't have one for the Golf VI
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 20:00   #6
PB_NB
Veteran Member
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Default

Our hitch was made for the car. The same guys that did the exhaust and big brakes also did the hitch while that car was apart.

Our replaces the bumper rebar and goes into the chassis about 12" where it is secured with rather large bolts. I set the hitch height based on the trailer hitch height. Then I had the receiver welded up out of a Reese adjustable receiver. That way I was able to get the rig to sit level. Then I beefed up the rear shocks with some KW V3 that have rebound and bounce adjustments. This made the ride much better and less bouncing deflection at the hitch.

I also put some 17" BFGoodrich Comp TA's on the trailer and sold the mushy 13" trailer tires. This stiffened up the trailer roll which helped to eliminate side to side oscillations which begin when swaying starts.

We looked at the T@B trailers and found that they were very well built and equipped. Then we found this Camplite unit which is all aluminum (light weight) and allows us to stand up with 6'-4" of ceiling clearance which we didn't find in the T@Bs. I played around with fore and aft weight. I added 2 more 6 volt batteries to the rear with 2 up front. I have 3 20 pound propane bottles so I can move the weight on or off the hitch. We also have solar panels that can be moved around. This way I can move the load accordingly to adjust the tongue weight.

Maybe this method can be used so you can move the weight back and forth over the axle to help control the tongue weight.
__________________
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 21:17   #7
mercdude
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern CA
Default Need Hitch Advice! Frustrated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandywriter View Post
I have had a Bosal 50mm hitch for about 10 years. It's 1.97". It works without a problem with 2" couplers. I keep the ball and coupler mechanism lubed.


I'm looking at buying a 2012-2014 Golf Sportwagen and moving the hitch to that. Bumper has to come down, and exhaust briefly, but I'm happy with the Bosal (was a coin toss when I bought with Westphalia, shipping decided it).



You might want to consider Eco Hitch https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...tch/volkswagen . They have a 2" ball if you want it.


Been down this road with my jsw - if you install a curt/drawtite, you will scrape on almost every bump and it looks atrocious and itís not an Easy install due to the blind nuts you have to slide down the frame rail.

I had that for about 1 week and hated it to death. Swapped out to an eco hitch and been good for the last few years. You will be required to take bumper off, notch it, and lower/unbolt muffler but overall not a hard install if youíre careful with the notching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 05:20   #8
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Moving some weight off of the tongue is definitely a good idea.T@Bs don't have a back bumper so moving anything aft would mean putting it inside. I have a 12v battery and 1 20lb propane tank on the tongue.
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 05:22   #9
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

mercdude...my experience as well with a Draw Tite. Back to the drawing board!
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:06   #10
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member
 
JELLOWSUBMARINE's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
Been down this road with my jsw - if you install a curt/drawtite, you will scrape on almost every bump and it looks atrocious and itís not an Easy install due to the blind nuts you have to slide down the frame rail.

I had that for about 1 week and hated it to death. Swapped out to an eco hitch and been good for the last few years. You will be required to take bumper off, notch it, and lower/unbolt muffler but overall not a hard install if youíre careful with the notching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My eco hitch is going on tomorrow. Looks well built, powder coated and $300ish shipped. I didnt want a pavement scrapper. Best thing is the 2" receiver with class III rating. You can always adapt to a 1.25 but to go to 2" is just hazardous
__________________
JELLOWSUBMARINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:55   #11
Figit090
Veteran Member
 
Figit090's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northern California
Fuel Economy: see signature
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualTraveler View Post
Edited post!

Sounds like my best choices are: 1) install a stock Draw Tite or Curt hitch and beef up the suspension or springs to reduce sag; 2) find a shop who can customize a rig for me.

Any recommendations on someone in the Southeast USA who can think outside the box and make a set up work for a 12 Golf. I dislike the idea of a Curt/Draw Tite because they sit below the bumper. An Auto Hak from etowbars.com will cost around $600 just for the hitch and I can't find a source for a Bosal hitch.

Thank you!!
Whatever IDparts doesn't have remaining in stock you'll have to pay for shipping from Europe. On mkiv jettas the bar replaces the 5mph bumper and isn't DOT approved, so they aren't easy or cheap to get without a supplier like IDparts. Bosal also stopped making towbars, so good luck finding what you need.

PF Jones carries Witter towbars, some of which have a removable tongue like the Bosal setup. They look pretty good and they make bike racks too. There's a couple designs for the neck attachment, and some have a flange you can unbolt the ball as well as remove the neck from the bar (if memory serves). Try there, and see if you can find a part number you like.

PF Jones tended to have the best prices, other options are lesser known 3rd party sellers on amazon or ebay because Bosal is now obsolete and stocks are lower. I found some were willing to sell me a mkiv hitch, but at a huge cost. Figure $500 easy total after shipping for a $250-300 part.
__________________
My mechanic: Matt-98AHU
2003 GLS TDI wagon, candy white, black leather interior, and still <90k miles on the odometer!
Figit090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:48   #12
AllieJetta
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Just installed the ecohitch / torklift on my JSW a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the quality, construction and ease of installation (did it myself). Doesn't hang down and doesn't scrape even going in and out of my steep driveway.
AllieJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 14:24   #13
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Torklift doesn't make an eco hitch for a '12 Golf VI
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 14:31   #14
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Thanks for the input! etowbars.com has a good looking hitch made by Auto Hak (https://etowbars.com/Towbars/Volkswagen/Golf-V-VI). Problem is it will cost about $300 more to ship to the US. A removable hitch is over US$600, plus labor to install it.

My local hitch place will install and they said it looks like a better fit/design than Curt/Drawtite but the whole thing will run me over $800 for the hitch and install. Plus I probably still need to do something about sag in the rear end.
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 15:49   #15
PerpetualTraveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Default

Thank you! I so appreciate this information!
PerpetualTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Hitch Advice storx TDI 101 30 January 18th, 2013 10:09
Trailer hitch advice Hen Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 4 August 17th, 2010 07:26
Need advice on using Cargo Carrier w/ Hidden Hitch TDI_Cubed Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 0 June 13th, 2007 07:29
Need quick hitch selection advice please. UHF VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 November 21st, 2003 09:09
Advice on Trailer Hitch jaberoo VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 7 August 21st, 2003 04:48


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.19789 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 132.29 Kb. compressed to 111.23 Kb. by saving 21.06 Kb. (15.92%)]