www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 30th, 2019, 07:22   #16
calimustang
Veteran Member

Awesome. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:27   #17
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alext91 View Post
I also found this:

https://www.autorimshop.com/volkswag...ription_tabbed
it claims to be a refinished OEM wheel but seems kinda sketchy... idk
I just bought a set of wheels from these guys and actually just had them installed on my Golf at the VW dealer this morning. They did seem kinda sketchy lol, but I'm pretty happy with them.

2013 Grey Golf 2.0 TDI Comfortline w/DSG
2015 White Lexus IS250 F-Sport AWD.
Sold 2006 Jetta TDI, 2003 ALH Golf TDI, 2000 NB TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2009 City Golf 2.0 Gasser, etc.

Last edited by Rembrant; May 30th, 2019 at 10:34.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:44   #18
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
I just bought a set of wheels from these guys and actually just had them installed on my Golf at the VW dealer this morning. They did seem kinda sketchy lol, but I'm pretty happy with them.
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that the color matches the factory wheels ok, but I guess we shall see! How were they in terms of speed? I actually ordered through their Amazon storefront, same exact company, but I can get 5% back with my Amazon card haha. Did they come as described? OEM and not replicas? Thanks!
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:17   #19
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that the color matches the factory wheels ok, but I guess we shall see! How were they in terms of speed? I actually ordered through their Amazon storefront, same exact company, but I can get 5% back with my Amazon card haha. Did they come as described? OEM and not replicas? Thanks!
Shipping was pretty quick. I'm in Canada, but had the wheels shipped to Maine where I picked them up. I ordered them on a Sunday (I think) and I'm pretty sure they shipped them out the next day. They came from Fort Wayne IN according to UPS and they were in Maine by Thursday, so I was pretty happy with that.

I can't comment on the color matching as I bought a complete set of 17" Salamancas, so they were all the same.

They are definitely OEM VW wheels, and they were definitely refinished. Looking closely it's pretty obvious, but they didn't do a bad job. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect, but they are pretty good. I believe they're powder coated...at least it looks and feels like powder coating (Rather than paint). You can tell in a couple spots around the edges. There are a couple spots where you can see dust in the finish.

Packaging was very good, no worries there.

I actually just had them put on the car this morning with a new set of Pirellis, and they balanced up nicely and they're smooth running down the road.

My initial thoughts were that they were sketchy...I tried calling them but got a call center that knew nothing. Overall however I'm happy with the purchase so far.

Sold 2006 Jetta TDI, 2003 ALH Golf TDI, 2000 NB TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2009 City Golf 2.0 Gasser, etc.
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:21   #20
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shipping was pretty quick. I'm in Canada, but had the wheels shipped to Maine where I picked them up. I ordered them on a Sunday (I think) and I'm pretty sure they shipped them out the next day. They came from Fort Wayne IN according to UPS and they were in Maine by Thursday, so I was pretty happy with that.
I can't comment on the color matching as I bought a complete set of 17" Salamancas, so they were all the same.
They are definitely OEM VW wheels, and they were definitely refinished. Looking closely it's pretty obvious, but they didn't do a bad job. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect, but they are pretty good. I believe they're powder coated...at least it looks and feels like powder coating (Rather than paint). You can tell in a couple spots around the edges. There are a couple spots where you can see dust in the finish.
Packaging was very good, no worries there.
I actually just had them put on the car this morning with a new set of Pirellis, and they balanced up nicely and they're smooth running down the road.
My initial thoughts were that they were sketchy...I tried calling them but got a call center that knew nothing. Overall however I'm happy with the purchase so far.
Awesome! Sounds like a good experience! I actually got a shipping notification for mine right after my last post. Says the wheel should be here Monday. Having it shipped directly to the shop my car is at, but I trust his judgement. Not a huge concern about the finish, as long as it's a true OEM wheel, which it sounds like it will be! Thanks for your input on this! Glad it worked out nicely!
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:27   #21
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Awesome! Sounds like a good experience! I actually got a shipping notification for mine right after my last post. Says the wheel should be here Monday. Having it shipped directly to the shop my car is at, but I trust his judgement. Not a huge concern about the finish, as long as it's a true OEM wheel, which it sounds like it will be! Thanks for your input on this! Glad it worked out nicely!
I feel guilty for spending so much on a set of wheels, but I've had such bad experiences buying used wheels I'm trying really hard not to...lol. I passed up on a couple sets of Portos and other OEM wheels locally because of scuffs and scratches, and it seems like every time I've purchased a set of 4 rims in the past, even if they look mint, one of them will be bent somewhere...somehow...the roads are just that bad here.

I have no complaints with these guys so far, but I was a little apprehensive about it initially...lol. In any case, I'm all good for now. Ask me again in a year and we'll see how the finish is holding up.

Good luck!

Old May 30th, 2019, 11:40   #22
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel guilty for spending so much on a set of wheels, but I've had such bad experiences buying used wheels I'm trying really hard not to...lol. I passed up on a couple sets of Portos and other OEM wheels locally because of scuffs and scratches, and it seems like every time I've purchased a set of 4 rims in the past, even if they look mint, one of them will be bent somewhere...somehow...the roads are just that bad here.
I have no complaints with these guys so far, but I was a little apprehensive about it initially...lol. In any case, I'm all good for now. Ask me again in a year and we'll see how the finish is holding up.
Good luck!
I've had similar experiences with wheel purchases! Roads are pretty unforgiving here in New Hampshire as well. In fact, the last set of wheels I bought (winter steelies for my Honda) were all bent, which I was informed of upon having the tires mounted. Oh well! I'm hoping to have a straight set after this is all said and done! Nothing is more annoying to me than a vibration on the highway. Yes, let's hope the finish holds up. I would imagine that if they are indeed powder coated they should hold up pretty well.
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:05   #23
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Quote:
well that's why the car was in the shop to begin with, to have the tires replaced. I already have a new set. They called and told me the wheel is too bent and that they wouldn't recommend putting a new tire on it

Were the tires being replaced due to wear and/or defect, or just a desire to replace them with something else.

My understanding is that CPO should ensure that the tires are still in good serviceable condition at the time of sale.

HPsenicka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:28   #24
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsenicka View Post
Were the tires being replaced due to wear and/or defect, or just a desire to replace them with something else.

My understanding is that CPO should ensure that the tires are still in good serviceable condition at the time of sale.
Yeah the tires were being replaced out of desire for something better! I will run the car at autocross and drive fairly aggressively (at least when safe to). So I much prefer a stickier tire than the standard economy tires!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old June 8th, 2019, 07:28   #25
tsimon325

Default Problems w/wheels on CPO Golf

I was just shopping for CPO TDI buyback cars. At one VW dealership (who specializes in retrofitted TDI buybacks) all their CPO TDI's had replacement tires. I googled the brand, basically a $58 junk tire, the cheapest the dealer could get their hands on. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider, in my mind, might need 4 new tires in 15k miles or so, maybe not, but a gamble for sure.

I wound up buying from a different dealership, and here's the kick in the ass...

I test drive a 2013 Golf TDI, it might be the car for me if we can work a deal. I do a thorough walk around looking for issues (it's used, once you bought it, you own it) The tires are original, only 30k on the car, rims look great, a small nick in the paint here, a parking bumper scrape under the front valance, nothing I can't live with.

They try to work me over, tried bait-n-switch price, tried to sneak in a $2500 service contract (not my first rodeo) but we eventually work a deal. They say they need to 'bring the car around back to detail it'. Not sure why, the thing is super clean already.

An hour goes buy, we'd been at the dealership for for 5hrs by now, I climb in my new ride and drive off, meet my wife for dinner, go home and sleep.

The next morning, I walk out to admire my new-to-me used car purchase, and I notice right away that 3 out of 4 alloy wheels is curb rashed and gouged, one tire sidewall has chunks missing like a medium speed curb hit.

I mean, I looked specifically and carefully at all 4 tires and wheels before negotiating a deal. Guess which wheel is pristine? Yep, driver's side front, the only one the customer is going to see when you hand him the keys one final time.

I know what happened, during 'detail', they took it around back, and switched out the nicer tires and almost perfect factory wheels for another beat up set! The salesman told me they try to do 2-3 used TDI Golfs /month. Talk about shady m**herFu**ers.

I'm still trying to work it out with the sales and service manager, who "Can't imagine how that could possibly have happened!" yeaaaaaaah, riiiiiiiiight.....
tsimon325 is offline   Reply With Quote