www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 23rd, 2019, 21:53   #1
hammerandtongs

Default Just purchased...2014 JSW TDI

Hi...First post here…wanted to join the community.

Just got my grubby little mitts on a 2014 JSW TDI and couldn’t be happier with it. 42k miles CPO in platinum gray, 1 previous owner here in CA, with pano, navigation, and push button start. Also has tinted windows.

Carfax showed the 10, 20, and 30k mile services as having been done by VW but no record of the 40k, so I just completed that myself with the kit from idparts.com. Dealer replaced the brakes as they were worn. I also got new tires all round as the originals were still on it and made a horrible vibration at around 25 mph.

I have a motorcycle as a daily driver/commuter so the JSW will be for hiking trips, camping, taking my rottie/shepherd mix places, road trips, etc. I think it will be perfect for that. I wanted something that will last me for at least the next 10 years and be super practical for my lifestyle; this car fits the bill!

Just one small issue…does anybody with a Galaxy phone (mine is S9+) have an issue staying connected to the JSW’s bluetooth? Mine will connect but as soon as I switch the engine off it disconnects and won’t reconnect automatically (I have to unpair and then re-pair). At the moment I am just using an aux cord as it is faster. My daughter’s iphone stays connected no problem though, so I don’t believe it’s an issue with the car. Any ideas??

Anyway, glad to be along for the ride and learning more about this great wagon.*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hammerandtongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 22:09   #2
calimustang
Veteran Member

Congrats in the purchase! thats my favorite color and too bad I couldn’t find one locally with DSG and solid roof so I ended up with white one with everything in exact same options from old 2011 to 2014 besides rear view camera.

Bluetooth on iOS never had an issue. Your phone is too “new” for the car maybe? As in not able to recognize your model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:10   #3
hammerandtongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimustang View Post
Congrats in the purchase! thats my favorite color and too bad I couldn’t find one locally with DSG and solid roof so I ended up with white one with everything in exact same options from old 2011 to 2014 besides rear view camera.

Bluetooth on iOS never had an issue. Your phone is too “new” for the car maybe? As in not able to recognize your model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yes I love the color too. The dealer I got it from seemed to have all colors available so I could take my pick.
You are probably right about my phone being too new...kinda sucks though. I guess when I am next able to upgrade my phone I should downgrade to an iPhone lol.
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:24   #4
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Congrats! My '12 is your cars twin (well minus the backup camera) - Platinum Gray has always been my favorite since it came out on the MKIV.

I'll have to check in with my other half on the Galaxy issue. He has I think an S8 (the model before you could wirelessly charge other devices) and was having the same issues with his '11 - I think he had to make some setting changes within the phone to get it to work properly. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

**Edit - off topic ?**

I bought my '03 Golf TDI in CA and I have to say the registration taped up in the windshield is just obnoxious to remove, and I always wondered how does CHP and the local officers know whether or not you just stole a car from the dealer? Never thought of it back then but after moving back and living in Florida and Georgia for awhile where you are given an actual temporary tag # affixed to the dealer paper plate, presumably law enforcement is able to run it and see your temp registration details. If you get pulled over in CA do you have to cut the temp registration out of the sticker? Never made any sense to me once I got back over here and see that system has not been improved.
'11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG - 48k
Candy White/Beige

Last edited by 03GolfTDI; May 24th, 2019 at 11:41.
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:26   #5
wagon92x

Awesome car! I just picked up your twin! 2014 JSW w/ pano and 6MT. Mine had 47k miles, and I got it for $9,500 out the door (non-CPO). If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for yours?

wagon92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 18:59   #6
hammerandtongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GolfTDI View Post
Congrats! My '12 is your cars twin (well minus the backup camera) - Platinum Gray has always been my favorite since it came out on the MKIV.

I'll have to check in with my other half on the Galaxy issue. He has I think an S8 (the model before you could wirelessly charge other devices) and was having the same issues with his '11 - I think he had to make some setting changes within the phone to get it to work properly. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

**Edit - off topic ?**

I bought my '03 Golf TDI in CA and I have to say the registration taped up in the windshield is just obnoxious to remove, and I always wondered how does CHP and the local officers know whether or not you just stole a car from the dealer? Never thought of it back then but after moving back and living in Florida and Georgia for awhile where you are given an actual temporary tag # affixed to the dealer paper plate, presumably law enforcement is able to run it and see your temp registration details. If you get pulled over in CA do you have to cut the temp registration out of the sticker? Never made any sense to me once I got back over here and see that system has not been improved.
Thanks. Any info you have on the galaxy would be good. I think I have tried everything but you never know.
Not sure about the temp registration...I guess the trick is to not get pulled over by CHP lol. Actually I received my registration paperwork from the dealer maybe 2 days after buying the car. So I guess I'm good. Just waiting for plates now.
Old May 24th, 2019, 19:06   #7
hammerandtongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon92x View Post
Awesome car! I just picked up your twin! 2014 JSW w/ pano and 6MT. Mine had 47k miles, and I got it for $9,500 out the door (non-CPO). If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for yours?

Nice car! Almost a twin... mine has DSG tranny. Looks like you got a good deal there.
I paid almost 12,000 out the door...tax is high here. They had cheaper options but I was picky about the color/options I wanted and having the service history documented. So I'm pretty happy with what I paid.
Old May 26th, 2019, 14:48   #8
skromfols
Veteran Member

HandT, I'm sure you'll love your JSW and you'll probably find that it gets almost as good of fuel mileage as your bike. I have two road bikes and the JSW gets better mileage than one of them. But California sucks with the latest 20 cent per gallon tax on diesel.
Old May 26th, 2019, 17:42   #9
hammerandtongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skromfols View Post
HandT, I'm sure you'll love your JSW and you'll probably find that it gets almost as good of fuel mileage as your bike. I have two road bikes and the JSW gets better mileage than one of them. But California sucks with the latest 20 cent per gallon tax on diesel.
Loving it so far for sure. Yes, I have 2 bikes too and you are right, the JSW is on a par with my CBR1100XX mileage-wise...about 40mpg. I also have an Africa Twin that gets around 50mpg though so I don't think I'll beat that in the JSW. What bikes do you have?
The diesel prices near me don't seem too bad... I'm paying less per gallon than I do for regular gas. I'm a Brit though, so fuel seems cheap here period.
Old May 26th, 2019, 17:54   #10
skromfols
Veteran Member

I have a Honda Valkrie and an Indian Scout. The Scout gets around 50 MPG, but the Valkrie gets around 40 MPG. And we're paying around $4.19 per gallon up here for diesel which is quite a bit more than regular and a bit more than premium. But at least up here we have no congestion and some really good two lane twisty motorcycle type roads.
Old May 26th, 2019, 22:23   #11
hammerandtongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skromfols View Post
I have a Honda Valkrie and an Indian Scout. The Scout gets around 50 MPG, but the Valkrie gets around 40 MPG. And we're paying around $4.19 per gallon up here for diesel which is quite a bit more than regular and a bit more than premium. But at least up here we have no congestion and some really good two lane twisty motorcycle type roads.
Nice bikes! I'm a Honda guy but Indians are cool too for sure. I'm definitely envious of your roads up there... some of my best biking memories are from Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia. I'm currently planning a bike trip around SoCal but I will be heading up your way before long hopefully.
I just today filled up the JSW at 3.84 per gallon..I think regular gas was 3.86 and premium 4.06...gotta be happy about that.
Keep it rubber side down
Old June 9th, 2019, 21:49   #12
bmc1980

I’m not sure what you guys are smoking here - paying $12,000 out the door for CPO with under 40,000 miles? All the ones I found at VW dealers were at least that much before all the extra fees, and with a similar amount of mileage. Were you guys negotiating aggressively with these dealers?
bmc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 17:45   #13
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc1980 View Post
I’m not sure what you guys are smoking here - paying $12,000 out the door for CPO with under 40,000 miles? All the ones I found at VW dealers were at least that much before all the extra fees, and with a similar amount of mileage. Were you guys negotiating aggressively with these dealers?
Walnut Creek, Ca. Drito Bro VW Feb. 2019
Made offer over the phone of 10k out the door if it was what was described
2011 CPO red/tan 6M pano nav 17'' top packagr for 2011
new tires. brakes rotors, DPF, ex flap
I realize 69k isnt 40k but I couldnt pass worth every penny

No weed involved

Last edited by JELLOWSUBMARINE; June 10th, 2019 at 17:49.
JELLOWSUBMARINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 23:05   #14
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

That's the best colour right there! Congratulations, I'm jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELLOWSUBMARINE View Post
Walnut Creek, Ca. Drito Bro VW Feb. 2019
Made offer over the phone of 10k out the door if it was what was described
2011 CPO red/tan 6M pano nav 17'' top packagr for 2011
new tires. brakes rotors, DPF, ex flap
I realize 69k isnt 40k but I couldnt pass worth every penny

No weed involved

2014 CPO GSW Wolfsburg Edition

BigBadThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 06:49   #15
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadThor View Post
That's the best colour right there! Congratulations, I'm jealous.
Thanks Im loving it. Got the windows tinted, works well with the light interior here in the hot central valley