www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 21st, 2019, 07:17   #16
truman
Veteran Member

During my brief time on the MB boards, I have a couple of general observations. Luxury buyers are insurance junkies. Fearful of owning a vehicle past the warranty period and tend to like prepaid service packages to manage their cash flow. There are some good deals to be had on used luxury vehicles out of warranty if you have non dealer service options.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:24   #17
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
During my brief time on the MB boards, I have a couple of general observations. Luxury buyers are insurance junkies. Fearful of owning a vehicle past the warranty period and tend to like prepaid service packages to manage their cash flow. There are some good deals to be had on used luxury vehicles out of warranty if you have non dealer service options.

Excellent observation and good advice.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 14:26   #18
radunegru

Fuel Economy: 42.5

Long time MB diesel owner and tied of repairs that other cars do not have for their entire life: heater core leak, head gasket leaks, stuck glow plugs, suspension nightmares like $1100 for a simple control arm, leaking gas tank, going in and out of limp mode for no particular reason... I had enough.

I started with a Passat TDI 2013 new retun it due to diesel gate then purchased a NEW 2016 touareg and a lowmiles 2015 Passat TDI.

Touareg is an amazing car I have close to 20k but have a lots of friends in Europe with over 300K kilometers trouble free.
radunegru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 17:33   #19
squeegee_boy
Veteran Member

My Touareg has had issues with the adaptive cruise/lane assist and with the TPMS. I think I know what this issue is with the latter, but I would avoid models with the adaptive cruise if possible; I am not the only one to have issues with it.

The rest of the car is really nice. No brake component replacement yet at 65,000 miles. I'll be putting new studded tires on in a couple weeks, but only because studded tire studs don't last particularly long, relative to their tread depth. My summer tires lasted two years.

@closs2sx mentioned that his duramax got around better than his wife's BMW. Although mine is a dually, I'd put my duramax as the least snow-capable vehicle that we own. Our Jetta is the best of 5 vehicles in our fleet, with the Touareg just behind (all cars with studded Hakkapeliitaas). My definition of performance is ability to navigate hard-pack snow-covered sweepers at 70 mph. Travelling up steep hills and/or deep snow, the Touareg is right up there, and certainly better than the Jetta; I'd rank it #2 behind a frankenstein 4x4 converted e-350 van that we own. The point is, snow performance is a pretty broad category; Touareg's may not be best in any one particular field, but it is among the best in every category that I have experienced.

I was sitting on the sideline, waiting for the 2016 Golf wagons, but after they pulled TDIs from the market, I bought a Touareg on the last day they had those cars on the market. Overall, the major mechanicals have been bulletproof. It starts instantly at -45F without a block heater, and this is not -45 windchill, but real temperature. The doors sound like a 1990-vintage Mercedes. And if you tow trailers, it is a beast...up to 7700 lbs.

If I totaled my Touareg today, I'd be perfectly comfortable buying another one tomorrow. But as @Truman pointed out, there are a lot of off-warranty luxury makes out there for very little money. A Cayenne is essentially the same car with an air suspension. Our dealer, who I only used for warranty work, is the only VW dealer in the state. They also happen to be the only Porsche dealer in the state. Nevertheless, Cayennes get dedicated Porsche mechanics, whereas Touaregs get Volkswagen mechanics for what is effectively the same car. If I used a dealer for service, I'd feel much more comfortable with the Porsche mechanics. I'd just have to be able to deal with the stigma of driving a Porsche.
2004 Jetta GLS TDI wagon, 5 speed, Mann EGR filter, VNT-17, Malone Stage 4, SouthBend Stage 2 Daily, Evolution Motorsports aluminum skid plate, Koni FSDs, Audi TT control arms, E-codes, TDI heater, heated rear seats
2016 Touareg TDI Lux
squeegee_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 19:46   #20
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee_boy View Post
If I totaled my Touareg today, I'd be perfectly comfortable buying another one tomorrow. But as @Truman pointed out, there are a lot of off-warranty luxury makes out there for very little money. A Cayenne is essentially the same car with an air suspension. Our dealer, who I only used for warranty work, is the only VW dealer in the state. They also happen to be the only Porsche dealer in the state. Nevertheless, Cayennes get dedicated Porsche mechanics, whereas Touaregs get Volkswagen mechanics for what is effectively the same car. If I used a dealer for service, I'd feel much more comfortable with the Porsche mechanics. I'd just have to be able to deal with the stigma of driving a Porsche.

Well said. Although I love the Q5 diesel, I also miss my Touareg, but if I contemplated going larger again, it would be to the Cayenne for this exact reason. And it would be painful to own a Cayenne for that exact reason, LOL.

Old February 13th, 2019, 14:28   #21
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.9 Litres/100 Km highway winter
Default Great Info thanks

Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at buying a 2015 Toureg/Q7/Cayenne TDI. I Have done extensive research and driven the Toureg and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel too. I did not like the Jeep as it handled like a truck while the Toureg was more car like. Iíve also read lots of posts about connecting rods letting go on the Jeep too so that turned me off of that option and WAS thinking of buying a Bluetec Mercedes till I read this! Thanks!
This car has to be my Swiss Army knife and I expect a lot from it. I intend it to tow a pretty large travel trailer and take advantage of the hefty 7700lb towing capacity. I have read many posts of people towing very large (50 foot) and the Toureg apparently performs like a champ. Like someone else put it it does many things well. I expect it to average 9 litres/100 km combined which is not too shabby. I want my cake and eat it too, meaning this is a very potent tow package yet my wife can drive it and most of the time I wonít be hauling the mass of a gigantic pickup truck sucking all that fuel while Iím just driving around and not towing a heavy load. This is what I mean about it being a potent package.Iím sad VW doesnít sell this any more. In my eyes the Atlas is a lesser vehichle. I can park it easy in my 20 garage with room to spare front and back.
Iím very comfortable with the maintenance on my passat TDI and absolutely love everything about it. So why not double down? The Q7 is a 7 passenger Ute and is about 10 inches longer so I donít favor it just because I donít need that and it will be tighter in my garage. Iíve heard the larger tires make the ride quite harsh so am wary of that but would consider the cayenne with the air suspension for trailering purposes but have found the Porsche values ridiculous and canít by the pretence if the badge. It is so counter to the VW philosophy. My Passat has the fender audio system which is absolutely amazing but I have heard premium system in the Toureg is not that great.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 18:02   #22
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Default Should I buy the Touareg?

The Dynaudio system in the Touareg is ok, not as good as the Audi or Porsche premium systems. However, you can always upgrade any car stereo with aftermarket equipment.

Old February 14th, 2019, 06:05   #23
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

in the same boat...been looking for a diesel SUV for a while...I absolutely love the x5 power but a friend of mine purchased one and has since spent close to 7k dealing with relatively trivial issues because everything is BMW unique and extremely expensive...

I think the fact that I can use VCDS for maintenance purposes is worth thousands over the MB and BMW trucks and now that the T-regs are affordable I think that will be my next vehicle...I've wanted a Q5 TDi for a while but it's basically a slightly higher A4 and I didn't feel comfortable in it...

now - all this said - what options should I be looking for? I've never really bought a new VW so I`m not familiar with what options come with what package...the BMW sport seats are my favorite option in any of those cars so far but I haven't seen any seat options on the T-regs...I'd love to get HIDs, black leather, backup camera and a towing package...that's about it - don't care for adaptive cruise or any other convenience stuff...does this put me in Highline category? What is the Exec package I keep seeing? It doesn't seem to be available on the other VW models
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:42   #24
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say its critical, but the aerial birds eye camera's on the Exec model are pretty cool. I think that they all have HID's but I could be wrong. I am not aware of seat options and I'm not a fan of the seats. They are huge and flat. They are so deep that my wife needs something behind her back to push her forward. I don't think ours has adaptive cruise, but I don't use CC so I don't know. It does have the sensors that beep when you get close to things which is kind of handy for us because our garage is a tight fit.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:49   #25
tdiman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy777 View Post
Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at buying a 2015 Toureg/Q7/Cayenne TDI. I Have done extensive research and driven the Toureg and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel too. I did not like the Jeep as it handled like a truck while the Toureg was more car like. Iíve also read lots of posts about connecting rods letting go on the Jeep too so that turned me off of that option and WAS thinking of buying a Bluetec Mercedes till I read this! Thanks!

This car has to be my Swiss Army knife and I expect a lot from it. I intend it to tow a pretty large travel trailer and take advantage of the hefty 7700lb towing capacity. I have read many posts of people towing very large (50 foot) and the Toureg apparently performs like a champ. Like someone else put it it does many things well. I expect it to average 9 litres/100 km combined which is not too shabby. I want my cake and eat it too, meaning this is a very potent tow package yet my wife can drive it and most of the time I wonít be hauling the mass of a gigantic pickup truck sucking all that fuel while Iím just driving around and not towing a heavy load. This is what I mean about it being a potent package.Iím sad VW doesnít sell this any more. In my eyes the Atlas is a lesser vehichle. I can park it easy in my 20 garage with room to spare front and back.

Iím very comfortable with the maintenance on my passat TDI and absolutely love everything about it. So why not double down? The Q7 is a 7 passenger Ute and is about 10 inches longer so I donít favor it just because I donít need that and it will be tighter in my garage. Iíve heard the larger tires make the ride quite harsh so am wary of that but would consider the cayenne with the air suspension for trailering purposes but have found the Porsche values ridiculous and canít by the pretence if the badge. It is so counter to the VW philosophy. My Passat has the fender audio system which is absolutely amazing but I have heard premium system in the Toureg is not that great.

Iím buying the Touareg tdi Vw badge over others for the sole purpose of parts and labor donít over think it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 08:07   #26
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.9 Litres/100 Km highway winter
Default HID headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitec View Post
in the same boat...been looking for a diesel SUV for a while...I absolutely love the x5 power but a friend of mine purchased one and has since spent close to 7k dealing with relatively trivial issues because everything is BMW unique and extremely expensive...

I think the fact that I can use VCDS for maintenance purposes is worth thousands over the MB and BMW trucks and now that the T-regs are affordable I think that will be my next vehicle...I've wanted a Q5 TDi for a while but it's basically a slightly higher A4 and I didn't feel comfortable in it...

now - all this said - what options should I be looking for? I've never really bought a new VW so I`m not familiar with what options come with what package...the BMW sport seats are my favorite option in any of those cars so far but I haven't seen any seat options on the T-regs...I'd love to get HIDs, black leather, backup camera and a towing package...that's about it - don't care for adaptive cruise or any other convenience stuff...does this put me in Highline category? What is the Exec package I keep seeing? It doesn't seem to be available on the other VW models
I would not get hung up on the HID headlights. I retrofitted the low beams on my Passat (h7ís) with a pair of LEDS and they are near HID in the amount of light and have a perfect beam pattern. I got them from DE auto they were the top rated bulb on Bulbfacts.com , well worth the money. I have had zero flash downs and the range is amazing. I do a LOT of driving at night in the winter and these were the best investment. The unit replacement cost for HIDís is very high while a pair of the LEDS only set me back 250$.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2019, 14:05   #27
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

where do you guys look for cars in the US? in Canada we have kijiji which is great but I haven't seen a good online spot for cars in the US
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:24   #28
Radman
Veteran Member

I would assume Autotrader same as here in Canada. Better than Kijiji IMO.

USA: www.autotrader.com
CDA: www.autotrader.ca
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:24   #29
Radman
Veteran Member

I would assume Autotrader same as here in Canada. Better than Kijiji IMO.

USA: www.autotrader.com
CDA: www.autotrader.ca
Old April 26th, 2019, 20:44   #30
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjilliego View Post
Hi all, my first post. My 2014 Touareg with 79,000 mi just stopped running. VW says it HPFP. It is under extended warranty so thankfully costs for replacing fuel system are covered. But I am VERY disappointed. I bought this specific vehicle for the long lasting engine. Darn!!!! Since all of you have more diesel knowledge than me, I would like to ask....
- since 2014 has this Bosch fuel pump had improved modifications or will VW probably be rebuilding with same model pump?
- if there is a new modified pump available, does it seem to be lasting longer than the original faulty pumps?
- if anyone has had this repair done under warranty, is there any future extra warranty coverage I should try requesting since they will be messing with so many parts?
- I live in California and usually purchase diesel at ARCO stations. Could their diesel be sub quality or is that an issue with big brand fuel stations?
Thanks for helping me become informed. Jill

I donít think the pump has been modified since 2014. The only thing I do that is extra, with the HPFP in mind, is use a diesel fuel additive in every tankful. A few ounces of Opti-Lube, Power Service, or the like, adds lubricity to the fuel that reduces wear on the HPFP. Buy it at any auto store, Walmart, or online.