www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 31st, 2013, 18:15   #61
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadurkee View Post
Was reading on another thread that increased oil consumption might also indicate DPF ash overload. I definitely have been adding more oil in between changes. Started noticing this about 50,000 miles ago. Use to add 1 litre, now it's up to 2 or even a bit more.
Hm. I wonder if it's the other way 'round. Increased oil consumption could cause increased DPF ash load. If oil were getting into the exhaust.....say, from a leaking turbo seal.....it could gunk up the DPF prematurely.
Old December 31st, 2013, 19:56   #62
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjett View Post
Has anyone heard of any early issues with the Chevy Cruze or Mazda 6 diesels? I was hoping Mazda would have come out with a CX-5 diesel this past year since I would like something that has a higher platform than the JSW but with similar cargo space.
Only reported issue with the Mazda diesel is the rising oil levels reported primarily out of Australia. They have yet to release a product for North America so if you don't want a VWAG diesel, then your choices are Chevy Cruze, Mercedes, or BMW.
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:37   #63
ARGH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Was reading on another thread that increased oil consumption might also indicate DPF ash overload. I definitely have been adding more oil in between changes. Started noticing this about 50,000 miles ago. Use to add 1 litre, now it's up to 2 or even a bit more.

My appt is scheduled for Jan 2. Most likely will not get my JSW back until the following week. Will update mpg, oil consumption, etc, as I approach 300,000 on the odo.
you have 300k miles on the original DPF???
ARGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 13:36   #64
frugality
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGH View Post
you have 300k miles on the original DPF???
257k on her current DPF.

Quote:
Update:
Went to the dealer today and had the DPF checked. As previously posted, I currently have 282,200 miles on the JSW, with 257,000 on the DPF that was replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles. Got the bad news that I was hoping not to hear. DPF has 300 ml of accumulation and service manager said 175 was max allowable. Guess I'm more than just a tad bit over. Anyway, estimate is $2430, of which $1452 is parts and $890 is labor. Breaking down further, the cat converter with particulate filter is $1100 and manifold tube is $245. The remainder are gaskets and misc exhaust parts. No EGR replacement. Advised this would be a 2 day job (10 hours labor). Parts have been ordered and hopefully they will have the job completed by the end of next week.

Pretty big expense that I had not budgeted for. But with the mileage I'm not suprised. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that nothing else major will need to be repaired or replaced for awhile.
Old January 9th, 2014, 18:26   #65
tadurkee
Veteran Member

Got my wagen back Tuesday and final price was $2418. Service manager forgot to add the $200 core charge to the original estimate so he gave me a 10% discount in order to get down closer to the original estimate price of $2430. He did advise that prior to the DPF and cat converter replacement the engine was "smoking a bit", which is what I had been smelling occasionally, but now everything is "up to specs".

I've already driven over 1000 miles since Tuesday and have observed the following:
1) No more exhaust smell
2) Less regens
3) Slightly better mileage (will wait until warmer weather to make a more accurate determination)
4)Less hesitation on take off and seems "peppier"

Hated that I had to put the cost of the job on plastic, but I do believe it was definitely needed/overdue so no regrets.
tadurkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 20:29   #66
frugality
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update.

Which dealer did you take it to? Betten? Gezon?

Your situation had me looking some things up. I looked up a DPF-delete kit, but that also requires a chip.
https://www.rawtekinc.com/shop/audi-...ownpipe-v-tdi/
(* for off-road use only )
I know you're not interested in any non-stock scenarios, so I didn't suggest it. Cost-wise, it looks like the kit+chip is about the same as your parts cost. So probably about the same in total cost. The advantage would be that you'd never have DPF issues again. The disadvantage would be smoke and smell.

With most TDIs, I don't think you'd ever have to replace a DPF twice. You're good until 500,000 miles now.
Old January 9th, 2014, 22:01   #67
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

WOW. You could have just removed all of that crap for way less. That rawtek stuff is way overpriced by the way. Bag of bungs, unibit , flange, 2.5 pipe and most expensive, ecu tune. We are going for the one shot continuous pipe from turbo back.
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 15:27   #68
redbarron55
Veteran Member

If the dealer replaced the unit then why the core charge? They removed and kept the core for return. Sounds like they want the deal both ways on the core.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 00:05   #69
tadurkee
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post
Thanks for the update.

Which dealer did you take it to? Betten? Gezon?

With most TDIs, I don't think you'd ever have to replace a DPF twice. You're good until 500,000 miles now.
Gezon did the work. Purchased it at Betten but have not been there for any reason after 36K. Terrible service dept that I would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Since I got over 250K on the last DPF, I think you are right in predicting the new one should last until 500K.

Only 4 more payments until the car is really mine!
Old January 11th, 2014, 00:15   #70
tadurkee
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If the dealer replaced the unit then why the core charge? They removed and kept the core for return. Sounds like they want the deal both ways on the core.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but didn't push it since "on paper" I was paying the same amount (actually a few dollars less) as the estimate. Maybe giving me the 10% discount was the only way (at the time) they could figure out how to make the total come out right. Perhaps the computer system wouldn't allow them to add the core charge then subtract it on the same invoice.
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:29   #71
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
WOW. You could have just removed all of that crap for way less. That rawtek stuff is way overpriced by the way. Bag of bungs, unibit , flange, 2.5 pipe and most expensive, ecu tune. We are going for the one shot continuous pipe from turbo back.
IDIOTIC reply who except you is gonna R&R all that stuff besides you? And now you would have a bubbatized exhaust with no muffler.

Last edited by MichaelB; January 11th, 2014 at 01:32.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:28   #72
ticketed2much
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjett View Post
Has anyone heard of any early issues with the Chevy Cruze or Mazda 6 diesels? I was hoping Mazda would have come out with a CX-5 diesel this past year since I would like something that has a higher platform than the JSW but with similar cargo space.

Chevy Cruze also has a DPF! As do all new diesels I know of. Reviews of the Cruze I have seen have rated the interior poor, engine loud, plus no MT. Can't see Chevy diesel techs being any better than VW. I think with the US diesel emissions that are in place, buying any new diesel could potentially be an expensive proposition. It ruins the economic potential of these cars.
ticketed2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:50   #73
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Really? There is more Chevy diesels in this country than VW. If the Cruze was a better vehicle, or they put the diesel in the Malibu I'm gonna have a hard time as I trust Chevy mechanics and dealers more than VW.
Old January 11th, 2014, 18:40   #74
frugality
Veteran Member

I had a rental Cruze with the 1.4T gas engine. I thought the interior was pretty nice, and that's saying something because, 1) I like the cleanness/classiness of VW interiors, and 2) I'm an auto interior design/project engineer. (door panels, hard trim.....and these days, instrument clusters.) The 1.4T was plenty peppy around town, although it ran out steam farther up the speedometer. But nice torque. And the vehicle was quiet and handled nicely.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:19   #75
UberVW_TDI
Veteran Member

Speaking of the DPF replacement cost really eating into fuel savings vs new gasser.

My wife and I just bought her a new Mazda6 2.5L gasser as the diesel will only be available in the expensive grand touring package and there will be no manual transmission option for the diesel. Mazda just delayed the diesel intro into the US market again...they are having issues with the emissions compliance vs wanted performance specs.

Anyway, her car has 184hp/185 ft-lbs and gets 36mpg on the hwy and burns regular unleaded 87 octane. At $3.05 per gallon vs diesel at $3.65 there is basically no cost advantage of my diesel. Yes, I still prefer the torque of the TDI but cost wise....her car is cheaper to drive vs my TDI!!

1000miles/36mpg = 27.8gal x $3.05 = $84.79
1000miles/41mpg = 24.4gal x $3.65 = $89.06

Difference of $4.27 to drive 1000 miles...advantage Mazda6 2.5L gasser.
Plus no DPF to replace, no timing belt to replace..uses a chain good for life of engine.

Pretty impressive.

CP3 HPFP, Valeo SMF Clutch Kit, Dieselgeek Sigma6 Sport Shifter, H&R Premium Performance Coilovers, H&R 24mm Rear Stabilizer Bar, H&R 26mm Front Stabilizer Bar, 17" VW Goal Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (245/45R17)

Last edited by UberVW_TDI; January 12th, 2014 at 06:27.
UberVW_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote