Hi all, I'm new here. I have a question. Does anyone recognize this?

SnowFarmer

TDI
MK6
I got a new to me Jetta MK6 TDI. Super cool little commuter, 40MPG and it pulls like a Mo-fo. All that aside, was going through the little car, cleaning it and I came across this button just at the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel. I pressed the button (I was hoping it was attached to a train horn, it wasn't) nothing happened. I turned on the car and pressed the button, nothing. The button isn't easy to reach, I thought it was an immobilizer or something. I'm flummoxed at what it is.

Anyone got an ID on what this is?

Nice to meet you all. I'm really stokes on the little Diesel. I had no idea how cool they were. The last one I drove was an 84 Audi and that thing couldn't get out of its own way.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Looks like a car security thing. I havent seen any in a long time...but its possible.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
It's a turbo timer. They work different ways/mostly though, hit the button before shutting the car down. When you shut the car off it should continue to run for a few minutes to cool the turbo. Really not necessary in a TDI, but a nice free option you got.

Last edited:

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
aftermarket security system sold the original owner at time of sell. Mine has one too though the previous owner more then likely pulled the alarm system computer from the car before giving it back to vw.