www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 4th, 2019, 19:50   #1
crazyj

Fuel Economy: lousy
Default Shudder / stutter / surging / nailing / long-start

Hi All, hopefully someone out there can help me diagnose my troubled engine.

I have a plethora of woes, but no smoking gun.

2009 CBEA 6MT post-fix with cold weather intercoller done this winter (had a no start event). I figured Iíd post here to avoid the PD responses from the A5 forum

-random (often) surging. Feels like someone playing with my throttle while Iím driving. VCDS shows exhaust temps jumping into the 800 Celsius range. Probably regen. Highly annoying.

-limp mode. Twice now it has gone into limp mode without throwing the engine light. Some kind of code was generated but not permanently stored

-clatter/nailing. When itís not surging uncontrollably, the clatter (and sometimes what Iíd class more as injector nailing) is so much worse than I remember pre-fix (and I think it got worse after the winter no-start / intercoller episode). Like someone slapping a spatula between two boards quickly. Really it runs well with the familiar gravelly diesel noises less than 10% of the time. But it does.

-long start. This started recently. She has never cranked more than a second or two but recently, randomly at home first thing in the morning or mostly predictably at work at the end of the day, it cranks for 5 or 6 seconds, starts but misses for about a city block and then sort of snaps out of it.

-no codes. With exception being the times it went to limp mode

Iím at the end of my rope. I really hate driving it now. Dealership claims this is normal but it didnít behave anything like this before the fix and I donít think any diesel should clatter this badly or have any of these problems.

Iíve got a VCDS. Are there parameters i should be watching? Are any of these symptoms leading up to something catastrophic? Iím just about ready to tune it but I donít want to lose my warranty and have an injector blow up or an HPFP implosion.

-
crazyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:04   #2
dandywriter
Veteran Member

Clogged fuel filter? You might have got a bad tank of diesel.

Do a VCDS scan and post it here; perhaps that will show something.
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:27   #3
crazyj

This has been ongoing for 6mos. Multiple fuel filters. Many tanks of diesel

No codes, so I’m not sure what you think I should scan.
Old June 5th, 2019, 06:26   #4
AllieJetta

Are you still on the original HPFP? What's the current mileage on the car?
AllieJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 10:16   #5
crazyj

Original HPFP. 250,000km. Canadian car that has always had good fuel, so I don’t know that I’m overly concerned about the pump.