Check engine light question

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
The regular place i get diesel was out and since i was running on empty, went to a nearby Canadian Tire to fill up. Next day, after a trip to Toronto and back, i noticed my check engine light was on. Day after that i added a half tank of Shell V-Power and a bit of Kleen-Flo hoping it might help. After that trip next time i started up the check engine light was gone. Can’t say the car is running noticeably different, but am relieved the check engine light has gone. Was this just a coincidence? Could it have been the Canadian Tire diesel? Is there anything i should be looking at? Should i take it in to get the codes read?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Really hard to say. There may or may not be a code stored. If the check engine light comes back on, retrieve the code. Other than that, drive more and worry less.

Usually, crappy fuel will not set a code.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Usually, crappy fuel will not set a code.
...but a check engine light should always set a code. I would suggest finding someone with a real VW specific code reader and scan the ECU for DTCs. It will tell you what the computer thinks went wrong.

Have Fun!

Don

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
Thanks guys, yes, that’s what i was wondering… if a code is set, if the light comes on, then goes off? i could take it to my mechanic to read the codes, or may just let it ride and see if the light comes back on. Would like to know why it came on thought.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Plenty of malfunctions are noted, but do not set the light. some set codes once in a while, and sometimes make the light go on, and then go out.

always a good idea to know what is happening.

great excuse to buy a new VCDS.

gokman

TDI
2011 tdi Jetta Sportwagen
Check engine light

I got a recall from VW to have my computer remapped,at the same time my emissions light came on. Is this related ?