Electric brake controller 2013 Jetta TDI

Hikermech

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Hi I am just new to the Club and have a question, has anyone installed an electric brake controller in a 2013 Jetta TDI where the brake switch is hydraulic off the master cylinder in an unreachable spot.
Can one just use brake light lead elsewhere ahead of power module installed for conventional tail light systems to trigger the brake controller or will there not be enough voltage as I hear it is lower or pulsing.
Thanks

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I can't swear by this, but I think that the brake switch is on the canbus and may not be "on-off" 12 volt. If this is the case (and I think it is, but hope someone who nows will correct me if I am wrong) you might need to bring a small gauge wire to the rear along with the other wires from the controller. This wire would tie into the brake light going to your trailer (if you are using a converter.
I an working on installing the factory OEM Westfalia trailer module and if I don't go with a wireless brake controller this is what I am going to do if I go wired.
If you run this wire when you run the others it wont be a big problem and no worrries on the brake switch.

Hikermech

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Well the wiring is all in and this weekend the trailer gets its upgrade to 71/4 inch electric brakes and we will see. I took the brake controller power off the brake stop light lead in the trunk area. My only concern was whether the for mentioned brake light lead will have the voltage to trigger the controller, while hooking up I checked the voltage at 12 volts.