2000 TDI Random mystery no-start

maddmatt21

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hi all,

I've been reading for a bit trying to solve a problem with my 2000 Jetta TDI and could really use a few suggestions. For seemingly no reason, once in awhile the coil light does not light when the key is turned so of course the engine cranks but does not fire. If I leave it and do nothing for a bit (hour, 2 hours, overnight, no telling really) then often it WILL start and will run and start perfectly for months. It never dies when it's actually running.

The difficult thing here of course is that a.) it's tough to diagnose and solve when it's working perfectly and b.) when it fails I don't have my tools or am not in a position to work on it, then when I get it home and I'm ready to go it works fine.

After reading here I first thought it was Relay 109, changed that with no difference made (I actually thought that was it, as it started after I changed it but then it did it again a week later). Checked all the fuses, nothing seems to be amiss. I bought a Ross Tech to help try and figure it out and the only code that appears is:

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1J0-920-xx0-17.lbl
Part No: 1J0 920 900 L
Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V56
Coding: 07242
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID: 2B55FB8CD9DD61461E5-5140

Subsystem 1 - Part No: IMMO
Component: IDENTNR: VWZ7Z0X1517788
IMMO-IDENTNR: VWZ7Z0X1517788

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID: F0EFACE0B07BC29EEB7-515E

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Is the first thing to try basically replacing the ECM with a new one? I'm thinking that it couldn't be the harness, because why would it not work and then 20 minutes later work fine for months without the car moving or any changes made? It's also a bit hard to test the harness, because like I said it won't STAY broken long enough to get things apart and get a meter in there to check voltages.

Any help or suggestions would be great, it's driving me crazy not knowing at any given time if a key turn is going to be successful.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Change your 109 relay......if it's black it's the old style.....get the new one which is grey.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
The 109 is the main power wire to the ECU. In a pinch you can take the old one apart and look at the base of the pins and you will see circular cracks around the solder joints. Reflow the solder and it will work......then order a new one?

maddmatt21

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Change your 109 relay......if it's black it's the old style.....get the new one which is grey.
Yep, I changed the Relay 109 one with one from the dealer (40 bucks, but I wanted it to WORK).

Put the new relay in and I thought i'd solved it as the car started. But a week later it mysteriously would not light the coil light again for about 4-5 key turns. Then it started working again. Since then it's happened one more time in the morning, got a ride to work and when I got home it started again.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Wire connections at the relay base. Fuse connections on fuse ?34?. Or is I it 32?

You could put a jumper wire from the battery positive to the fuel shut-off solenoid on the injection pump and see if it starts.

maddmatt21

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Wire connections at the relay base. Fuse connections on fuse ?34?. Or is I it 32?

You could put a jumper wire from the battery positive to the fuel shut-off solenoid on the injection pump and see if it starts.
I'll try running the wire next time it fails on me. If it starts when I run the wire to the solenoid, what does that indicate?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It indicates that you are losing power or ground signal in the relay 109 circuit. when it doesn't start, you could check to see if you have power on fuse 32 and 43. If you don't, you aren't getting power out of the relay 109. If not, then you need to check for power at pin 30 for R109 and check for ground at pin 85. If you have both of those, I'm not sure...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Possible bad ignition switch?. Would have swore it was a 109 issue ....but you said you changed it....unlikely a new faulty relay.......but possible.

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
Yep, I changed the Relay 109 one with one from the dealer (40 bucks, but I wanted it to WORK).

Put the new relay in and I thought i'd solved it as the car started. But a week later it mysteriously would not light the coil light again for about 4-5 key turns. Then it started working again. Since then it's happened one more time in the morning, got a ride to work and when I got home it started again.
$40? Ouch... $9.95 on idparts. I just bought one the other day to keep in my glove box. I hope you fix your issue, I have no experience or knowledge of this.

maddmatt21

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It indicates that you are losing power or ground signal in the relay 109 circuit. when it doesn't start, you could check to see if you have power on fuse 32 and 43. If you don't, you aren't getting power out of the relay 109. If not, then you need to check for power at pin 30 for R109 and check for ground at pin 85. If you have both of those, I'm not sure...

I understand checking for power at fuse 32 and 43. Where are pin 30 and 85? Are these pins in the ECU plug?

I ask just because I want to make sure I find these locations in advance so I can keep things disassembled (or loosely assembled) to the point where I can find em, then carry my test meter with me so I can test everything no matter where I am the next time it happens.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I bought a brand new 109 relay for my 2000, it turned out to be bad from the moment I plugged it in. At $10 from idparts it might not be a bad idea to change it out again.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice to know you found it.....weird that a new part failed but it does happen.