Weird things I've noticed about my TDI...

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
My Jetta likes to randomly lock the doors even with the key in the ignition. So I either pull the key or have a window down. Don't trust it! Spare valet key on vehicle is reassuring .

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I changed the coin battery in my key fob for the first time....and I bought the car, new, in Nov. of '03. How the heck can that little battery last for over 8 years?
I just recently past the 10 year anniversary of my '05 Golf and still have the same key fob with its original battery.:eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My Jetta likes to randomly lock the doors even with the key in the ignition. So I either pull the key or have a window down. Don't trust it! Spare valet key on vehicle is reassuring .
My beetle did this but usually while driving and then the alarm would go off. One of the reasons I now have a JSW.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
2014 Jetta Weirdness

Revival time....

- I'm halfway to my 'factory-recommended' break-in oil change, then a semi synthetic blend goes in until the next official Full synthetic. It seems strange that breaking in a motor would require Dino Oil these days. Weird.

- Sometimes my particular Jetta sounds like the idle is too chunky...if I rev it, it cures the problem...DPF system?

- Also, for such an awesome car, VW really cheaped out on the horn. It sounds more like "Please" than "MOVE!" :roll eyes:

That is all.
-M.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Are you sure about the break in oil? VW hasn't done that for many years. Just hate for you to waste money.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I just recently past the 10 year anniversary of my '05 Golf and still have the same key fob with its original battery.:eek:

Lithium batteries have high power density, high cell voltage, but high cost. And they can last a good 15 years or more in the right conditions:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery

I believed that they were developed for the space program, but I can find no proof of that.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Lithium batteries have high power density, high cell voltage, but high cost. And they can last a good 15 years or more in the right conditions:
I'm still on the original (13 years).

Oddest thing I've noticed about mine is that every once in a while (maybe every month or so), when on cruise the engine goes to full power very briefly (1/4 second or so, same duration each time), then back to normal. Wondering if it might be a bug in the cruise control software.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

Oddest thing I've noticed about mine is that every once in a while (maybe every month or so), when on cruise the engine goes to full power very briefly (1/4 second or so, same duration each time), then back to normal. Wondering if it might be a bug in the cruise control software.
Mine has done this too, since new. Others have reported it also.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
I swear my Jetta has it's own centre of gravity. Every time I drop something, or something falls out of the centre console, it always ends up in the passenger-side foot area. Guess it's better than wedging between the seats!!

Weird.

-M.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm not nearly so lucky. Like a starving dog, my car is a glutton for anything dropped. Guaranteed, it will slip down the side of the seat and render itself impossible to retrieve without stopping the car, moving the seat all the way forward, get out, open the rear door and grab it from the rear seat foot well. I've never owned a car where if you drop it, it's irretrievable while on the move. Pens, receipts, French fries, sun glasses case, check books, doesn't matter, my car is an equal opportunity glutton.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I always took this as a "hint" that the intake was getting dirty and would drive it very hard (2nd gear to red-line) a couple of times. This would cure the problem for a few days. My imagination?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
I always took this as a "hint" that the intake was getting dirty and would drive it very hard (2nd gear to red-line) a couple of times. This would cure the problem for a few days. My imagination?
Probably as the problem seems too occur pretty much from the time a car was new and, I disconnected the EGR and installed an "elephant" hose when mine was new so a clogged intake seems unlikely, at least in my case. I'm still guessing a software bug but who knows?

One other odd thing about the Mk4 Golfs at least is that when both brake lights are burned out, the cruise will stop functioning and a DTC is thrown that sheds no "light", heh, on the cause (something about the brake light switch IIRC). I know as I was fooled twice by the problem.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout let me know about the cruise issue a few years ago...something to do with the 'drive by wire' system I had no idea a Mk4 had!

Nowadays, the cruise is still strange on my 2014, but same results. Double-click always ends up with a more stable acceleration/deceleration.

-M.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably as the problem seems too occur pretty much from the time a car was new and, I disconnected the EGR and installed an "elephant" hose when mine was new so a clogged intake seems unlikely, at least in my case. I'm still guessing a software bug but who knows?
One other odd thing about the Mk4 Golfs at least is that when both brake lights are burned out, the cruise will stop functioning and a DTC is thrown that sheds no "light", heh, on the cause (something about the brake light switch IIRC). I know as I was fooled twice by the problem.
The cruise not working in my beetle was the only indication I've got about a burned out tail light.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure about the break in oil? VW hasn't done that for many years. Just hate for you to waste money.
I have since checked into this myth...my tuner just laughed.

It's a money grab!!! No Stealership 'break-in' oil is needed.

LOL...Total Quartz 15W40 all the way!!

-M.

Last edited:

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Since the weather has been getting warmer (hot actually) I've noticed that the 'New Car Smell' is more noticeable in Mr. Guetta. :D

Weird.

-M.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
While everyone seems to like that 'new car smell', in reality the smell is probably generated by all the plastics, foam, fabric, carpets and padding outgassing the various chemicals used to make said items. Heat probably just accentuates things a bit. Not all that enthralling actually.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
While everyone seems to like that 'new car smell', in reality the smell is probably generated by all the plastics, foam, fabric, carpets and padding outgassing the various chemicals used to make said items. Heat probably just accentuates things a bit. Not all that enthralling actually.

Oh I don't know FlyTDI, this smell might be killing me slowly with BPa and other off-gasses...but it's only the second VW I've bought outright since 2007.

It smells like a small success to me. :)

-M.:)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Definitely not trying to rain on your parade. I like it too and the adventure (including the smell) of a new car is always a fun experience. I've only owned a few new cars in my life and it's a good feeling.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2014 Mr. Guetta seems to steer me towards a great fishing spot, with only 120kms of fuel left...D'Oh!!!

-M.;)

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
My Jetta has a very tall First gear...I've stalled Mr. Guetta more this year than in all my years (20+) of driving...lol. :D Go 6-speed Go!!!

-M.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
My starter stays stuck and whines whiiiiissssssshhhhttt but only when it's cold. The colder the louder it gets... So the louder my car starts the better you need to be dressed.

Ah you know it's summer when my tdi starts a smoothly