I have put a few mods in:
-04 tailights
-Wolfsburg 16" rims
-04 GLI front and rear swaybars
-Rocketchip
-GLI 1-2" lowering kit
-VW OEM spoiler
-Short Shifter
I just did the 2004.5 center console swap, Definetly worth it.

223k on the clock

You guys like?

Last edited:

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
brucebanes said:
What does putting a spoiler on your Jetta do?
Some people like the look, I in fact am one of those people as i also have one and i heard it's good for 20 Hp:D

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
brucebanes said:
Its still a mod even though it isnt performance based, and it looks pretty sweet IMO. And yes it make it look different that yours. Yeah its winter time and i dont really have any other pics of it, when its washed or springtime more pics will come.

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
So just for looks?

Some used to claim a spoiler on the back held the back end on the ground giving you better traction and handling. I think you would need to be going over 100 mph for a spoiler to have this effect.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Ok Here are some recent photos, i swapped the standard Grey GLS cloth interior for some GTI black leather seats all the way around (i like to think of the interior now as "Two-tone") , i also took the shifter boot, and some suspension components off of it. I also did some maintenance, the only interesting one is the Intake manifold and EGR cleanout, and 4th and 5th gear are way faster, and better fuel economy. I also did the 04 center console swap. Also grabbed a Strut bar off the GTI.

Im now at 238k miles.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
My Jetta TDI came with the spoiler already on, so it wasn't a modification that I did. At first, I didn't like it. But, it has grown on me and does indeed make my Jetta look different then most others. I seriously doubt the 20 hp increase claim.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Thats why i didnt post pics, What do you reccomend to do? I havent cleaned interiors much, obviously.
Haha, no worries just giving you a hard time. Nice car, otherwise.

Step 1: Remove all the junk. You don't need it all, all the time. Glovebox and trunk can hold it anyway.
2. Vaccuum everything. With a crevice tool.
3. Any type of cleaner and rags/paper towels + elbow grease. Every single surface.
4. I really like to hit my leather with a leather conditioned once a year. Keeps it looking new, nice and soft, and prevents those hard aging cracks.

5. At the quarter car wash you can hang up your floor mats and blast them with high pressure, works wonders.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
My Jetta TDI came with the spoiler ...I seriously doubt the 20 hp increase claim.
Haha, no. That is just an internet joke. If anything the spoiler is robbing you of an apparent 3 or 4 HP at highway speeds due to increased aerodynamic drag. Any increase in rear downforce will be completely negligible in a car prone to heavy understeer anyway.

It is for looks, only. Kind of frustrating to me, actually, since I'd really like our fine country to use less fuel, and here every other faux-sporty sedan has a worthless spoiler just turning fuel into heat... sorry end rant.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Got some better suspension off a GTI, they are neuspeed sport springs on oem gti shocks, and I installed the strut bar. So far I have done the rear suspension and am putting off the front till I get a skid plate. About to roll over 240k miles.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Installed my new-to-me Thule roof rack, I also has the 2 for mount bike racks to mount onto this, I took quick pic.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
I put some new rims and tires from the GTI i have been canibalizing and i think they look better than the wolfsburgs as they are not corroded, plus having tires with treads is very nice in wet weather. I also put a Fork Mount Bike Rack on the car, i have another but i need to break the lock to install it.

Old tire:

New Wheels:

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Fixed the Sunroof visor, its nice to be able to open the sunroof again, I think i was able to use it for like 4 months when i first bought it, and that was 5 years ago, so its been awhile, took some pics of the feet that rode in the track.

Here is what they looked like after i took the shade/visor out, and i dont know about you but that doesnt look like it will slide well on its track.

ives

TDI
Sold: 2004 Passat GLS TDI Auto Wagon // Sold: 2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
Nice to see another CT plate on here. I'm just up the road near litchfield... though I'm in Alaska now.

Your Thule Fairing is short. They tried to sell me that one too... I insisted it didn't make sense that an air fairing would stop BEFORE the rack even touches the car.... they finally gave in and swapped it out for a larger one.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Nice to see another CT plate on here. I'm just up the road near litchfield... though I'm in Alaska now.

Your Thule Fairing is short. They tried to sell me that one too... I insisted it didn't make sense that an air fairing would stop BEFORE the rack even touches the car.... they finally gave in and swapped it out for a larger one.
Yeah i know Litchfield, lemme know when you get back, we can meet up. I dont run with the fairing on, it cut my MPG's by 3mpgs.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Installed my new front bumper, a tree ran out in front of me on the last one, it cracked it a little, but still looked bad. New bumper is aftermarket and fits 95% but that was with a little custom mounting.

Also bought some new struts and fixing stuff from AutohausAZ , im so excited to install them!

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Struts are in, lifted the front up a little. I also got a few pics: (crappy iphone pics with a salty car)

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
More Pics! I finally took my Camera out to get some shots at a railyard: