difficulty shifting gears

robert_c

TDI
2015 Passat
I was wondering if anyone drives a newer VW manual TDI and if so if it is normal to have a little difficulty getting into 1st or reverse? Mine is brand new and I complained it was being hard to get into 1st and squeaking going from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5. The dealer said they adjusted the shifter cables. Got it back and it has been shifting real easy and the clutch was totally different too but easier to use. Now today it's being a little difficult to get into reverse without a little bit of force. I hate to be the guy that always complains to the dealer.
I'm new to driving stick but have gotten pretty good at it. Could I be doing something wrong that could cause the shifter cables to go out of adjustment? I drove stick a few times when I was a kid and didn't have trouble getting into gear other than sometimes having to release the clutch in neutral for a second to spin them. I shouldn't have to do that in a 2015 Passat should I? I also try not to push too hard going in a gear but don't think I am and as such I can't see how I could hurt it. Is there anything I could be doing to cause this or does it sound like the dealer just needs to do some work on it and resolve this situation?
Thanks

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Is the car cold when this happens? Trans oil thickens in the cold and can make getting it into gear a little stiffer than if the car has been driven for a bit. Just a thought.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Reverse does not have synchros like the forward gears but, on a new car it should not be that difficult to engage.

Mountain TDI

TDI
2002 and 2003 Jettas and 2015 Passat 6M
Yes, I just bought a 2015 Passat and have the same problem, made stop and go driving a hassle. I'm used to giving it a quick doubleclutch when going just a few mph. I've owned 6 or 7 VWs all manuals, never had any problems (except maybe the 65 VW transporter that I learned to drive in!). I may ask the dealer to adjust the cables when I bring in for my 10k service. One trick is to shift into second before going into first, seems to make it a bit easier, good luck, I love my new Passat

98VWTDI

TDI
98 Jetta
Check the shift linkage. May need to be adjusted a little bit. Had the same problem and didn't really do anything and then ended up not having reverse, first, or second gear at all. It would pop into third or fourth.

Mountain TDI

TDI
2002 and 2003 Jettas and 2015 Passat 6M
I fixed my problem by installing Dieselgeek shift linkage. Though as noted above perhaps proper adjustment would have fixed as well.