Am I being irrational?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Four months ago, I bought my used Reflex Silver 2014 Passat TDI SE. it wasn’t EXACTLY what I wanted, but close enough. It has some imperfections which sucks because I am OCD and I like my cars to be in pristine condition.

Last month, on the way home from the NASCAR race, the glow plug light started flashing, the car REEKED of diesel, and the engine shut down. The high pressure line from the pump to the rail sprung a leak. Thanks to AAA it was no big deal.

Yesterday, it did the same damn thing. The same line that was replaced too. But this time, I was 250 miles away with my brother in law and nephews for a friends wedding. Once again, I called on AAA to get me to state line (200 mile tow) and also used Vw Roadside Assistance from state line to my dealer. If I didn’t have AAA, it would have been a $2,300 tow (or call into work for two days while it got fixed locally).

I know it will be fixed thanks to it being CPO and having the TDI Extended warranty. But I just don’t know if I can trust this car anymore. If I need another major tow, AAA won’t be there to save me because I have already used 3 tows on this Passat. The funny thing is that I got AAA for my Jeep when I go off-roading incase I broke something. But yeah, I just don’t know if I can trust this car to drive my family around.

Being that I work at a dealership, I can get a pretty good deal on a Candy White 2015 Passat TDI SE (with Kessy and fogs) which was exactly what I wanted the first time around. It would be MAYBE $1,000 more than what I paid for my 2014 and would have way less miles and WAY MORE warranty (120,000 mile TDI warranty vs 160,000 mile).

So am I being irrational here by considering dumping the 2014 in exchange of the 2015?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
id pick up the 15, the EA288 engine will be a 1 year collector car down the road

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Another vote for the 15. I just upgraded from a 2013 myself, and am very happy with the improvements. The options you mentioned for the 15 you're looking at (kessy and fog lights) sounds like it's an SEL model. If so, you should also have remote start, navigation, and backup camera.

Curious, though... Why couldn't you use the VW roadside assistance for a tow all the way back to your home dealer?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
As long as the price of the 15 isn't much different than the 14 trade I'd say go for it. The 15 is real nice but we also went from an SE to and SEL which justified a trade that much more.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
So sorry to hear about this. Very sorry to hear of your TDI reliability issues.

The whole reason I got OUT of VW CRTDI ownership was my concern about reliability. Having a 12 zillion mile warranty doesn't mean a whole lot, when your car breaks down in west TX, or east TX, or south TX, or central TX...

I agree with the other TDIClub members that have posted. Swap the cars, if you can afford it.

As for those thinking ANY NMS Passat TDI will become a collector car? Seriously? No one but a TDI aficionado would even notice its rarity, and...sigh...most TDI owners wouldn't pay top dollar for ANY car. They're too practical, and the VW CRTDIs are just too over-engineered and fragile for serious cost-effective longevity.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Eh, as they say, Sh*t happens.

My co workers like to joke this is payback for buying it from our sister store instead of from our store (where we didnt have any TDI's at the time).

I'm starting to believe them. LOL.

So after sleeping on it, I still cant decide if I trust this car or not.

I want to believe the problem is fixed and shouldn't happen again. And I know this particular failure is just a fluke. As was first mentioned, there has not yet been another failure of this type mentioned here. And I know a replacement car could be just as unreliable and I would be in the same boat with my AAA tows.

But at the same time there are things about this car that just drive me crazy. For example, it has a front license plate bracket in a state that doesn't require it (car came from Texas), dents around the car that can't be easily fixed (on body lines and one on the very edge of the drivers front door), all 4 wheels have minor curbing, and there are scratches on the bumper, hood, and fender. I know I have myself to blame for my lack of an inspection when I bought it. But this was my first used car purchase in over 10 years.

The more I think about my dislikes on the 14, the more it seems like I am just talking myself out of it.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
If the 2015 Passat is in pristine condition and well maintained, in my opinion I would go for '15. It has EA288 engine that is more fuel efficient and much smoother running--minus all of the unfavorable issues you have been having with the 2014.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yeah.

I’ve made the decision to go with the 2015.

I forgot the car was in the shop once each month since I have owned it. Three days after I got it, it was in for a heater core.

3 months of ownership. 3 repairs.

So tomorrow I think I will bring the 2015 home.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I wasn’t able to get the exact one I wanted.

The Candy White SE was sold before we even had it on the lot.

So I got essentially exactly what I had just newer and in better condition.

My 14 was reflex silver, had a lot of scrapes on the bumpers (rubbing on curbs presumably). All 4 of the wheels were curbed. There were some dents on the body.

The 15 is also reflex, but the body and wheels are immaculate.

So 10,000 less miles, 40,000 miles more warranty, essentially a brand new exhaust once phase 2 is released), plus the 15 already has tinted windows.

I did have to put a little bit down because I was upside down on my ‘14, but essentially my payment is the same ($25 difference).

As of right now, I am satisfied with the exchange.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I love my reflux silver, it hides a lot of abuse :D

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Congratulations, I think you'll like your 2015. More fuel efficient, better torque band and smoother running engine are all pluses you won't get with the previous models.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Upgrade to AAA Prime. It gives 5 tows a year.
Where do I find more info on this?

All they show on the website is Classic (four 5 mile tows), Plus (four 100 mile tows), and Premier (one 200 mile tow and three 100 mile tows).

Even tried google searching for AAA prime and got nothing.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have AAA plus (100 mile tow x2/year i think) and keep getting mailers telling me I need Prime/Premium. Hit up you local AAA service center, they will gladly take your money.

That and you get killer silver stickers you can plaster all over your ride.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Where do I find more info on this?

All they show on the website is Classic (four 5 mile tows), Plus (four 100 mile tows), and Premier (one 200 mile tow and three 100 mile tows).

Even tried google searching for AAA prime and got nothing.
Oops, I mis-stated. It's AAA Plus with 3 tows. My wife and I have it so 6 tows between us. Worth every penny to us since most years we used at least 3 tows. Also, each state chapter of AAA franchise is an independent, so some might market themselves with different packages. YMMV. I get motorcycle tows too.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Someone who has this many tows a year doesn't need a better AAA plan, they need a more reliable car.....

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I find the OP's question absolutely hysterical. Irrational behavior on an enthusiast's forum? HAHA! We're all quite irrational when defending our passions!!!

My dad, a truly committed sport fisherman, attempted to prove to his wife (my mom) that his fishing activities were financially feasible, as he was putting "food on the table."...speckled trout, flounder, tautog, bluefish, striped bass, etc. etc. He dutifully calculated all of his costs: boat, insurance, fuel, bait, etc. etc.

He sure made his point. On average, the "food on the table" he was providing cost well over $50/lb. I've forgotten the exact figure, because he quickly buried the discussion.

I fear I agree with Rico567..."Someone who has this many tows a year doesn't need a better AAA plan, they need a more reliable car..."

(...and yes, I really do miss my CRTDIs!!!!)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like my 1991 350SDL. Finding parts is difficult sometimes...
-J
... and our 2004 V10 Touareg

... and our 2014 Cadillac ELR

I guess we like unique things that are hard to get parts for; gluttons for punishment. ;)

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Good day Gents.
I'm also very OCD!! I found in my own back yard on the Missouri side , I could not believe this car is that close to me!! . Its been a bad few weeks for me. I sold my 2016 Golf TSI SE . I was going to drive my 96 ford ranger and it got totaled out because 2 deer ran out in front of me on I29 @ 70 MPH ! I'd hope to find a good not over priced 2015 TDI , yea I know wishful thinking right yet one can hope.. I found a 2015 Passat SE Manual with 14,800 miles on it at Northtown VW in Gladstone MO. DiDi was my sales person and the only one I would by a car from. I took the car for a day and looked it over like a fine comb. Even with me bing so OCD and yes I found a few little thing (that can be buffed out) the car was extremely clean and had weather tech floor mats along with the passats monster mats. The car cam from Colorado and who ever had it was very much OCD as well. I did purchase this car at a fair price and i'm happy to be back in a TDI again and a 15 to boot in a manual. I just wish I had the HID and lighting package like I did on my golf. Also not a single scuff on any of the wheels.

https://www.northtownevw.com/used/Volkswagen/2015-Volkswagen-Passat-d2c8c5e30a0e0a17490804bc93bdb5c5.htm

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
$19k for an SE 6 speed manual?

Ouch. I hope you didn’t pay that.

It a good looking car with nice low mileage, but there are 15 SE’s with sunroof, DSG, and 18’s selling for much less.

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Nope no were near that. 16,400 OTD I called in a 500 mile area radius from me for a 2015 passat 6M NO one would budge! let alone on a wagon TDI . Have you seen what they want for some of the 14 TDI wagons !! its unreal!

Last edited:

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
https://www.statelinechryslerdodger...en-Jetta-e44aa3220a0e0ae93782630f5066f1b2.htm

http://www.foxvalleyvw.com/certifie...ortWagen-a3ce96f30a0e0a6b365a39522a37e2ab.htm

Here is another one ... They would not move at all on price ... and that Stealer is 8 1/2 hours from me ... I don't have time to travel all over creation for a car and then it be not what I thought it would be as im very OCD and meticulous on my cars.

Look at this Jetta, I offered 14,500 OTD and they still wanted 16k for it Its very clean , yet they would not budge on the price I had cash in hand as well,they could have cared less, Yes I know Stealerships hate cash and rather Finance people.. I said Dave Ramsey .. :cool:

Last edited: