2006 Jetta TDI, issues, possible elect actuator

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Ok, posting for a friend until I can convince him to sign on to TDIClub for himself.

He purchased this 2006 TDI Jetta, 1.9L DSG with 115k miles about 5 years ago. It has the sagging headliner that he still has not fixed.

Last year about this time he heard a pop and no power until the oil light came on. He put more oil in it and got it home only to find out the turbo shaft broke. He then ordered a new turbo and exhaust mani and installed them. Was happy to have his car back until 2 weeks ago. It seemed sluggish, no power, and would roll coal until the turbo boosted, at about 3k rpms. Now the car has about 150k miles.

So he took it to a shop that told him he had flat cam lobes. He just paid $2581 to replace the cam and lifters via this shop. Estimate below. Now back to the same/original issue after turbo replacement. No power and black smoke until about 3k rpms.

- Valve cover gasket: $34
- high pressure fuel pump gasket: $19
- camshaft seal: $12
- camshaft: $650
- camshaft follower(lifter bucket): $40 ea. x 8: $320
- camshaft bearing set: $105
- camshaft retainer bolts: $4 ea. x 10: $40
- labor: $1120
Additional costs:
- tax: $100
- shop supplies/hazmat: $41
- initial diagnosis: $140
Approximate total cost: $2581 out the door

My question; is this something that can be caused by the electronic wastegate actuator? Is it possible the new wastegate actuator is bleeding off exhaust causing it to boost later but the computer is expecting boost at 2200-2400 rpm instead of 3k? If so, how can he adjust this? Is there an adjustment or does he need to find a stock actuator and swap them out?

I don't think he still has the old turbo with the original actuator. I think he had to send that in as a core. I should've warned him to swap actuators. I am a terrible friend for this. ;)

I told him that maybe he just needs a tune so it will boost at lower rpms, but if the actuator is actually allowing some exhaust bleed off Im not sure the tune would be able to fight against this issue.

Please send thoughts, comments, suggestions. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
no codes. And I don't think he has VCDS for logs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, well.... not much we can do then but guess. Not sure what answer(s) you are after otherwise.

And remember, no MIL is NOT the same as no DTC, and a generic scan tool will only grab some of the information, so even if it shows no DTC, doesn't mean a proper VAG specific scan tool won't find something.

You've given very little to go on, and no way to get more until a proper scan tool is employed.

If a "rebuilt" turbo was installed, chances are that is the issue. But again, just a guess.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
VCDS can be rented for pretty darn cheap if they don't want to spend the couple hundred dollars for it.

A simple thing to rule out would be intercooler boots, it wouldn't shock me if one is disconnected.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS can be rented for pretty darn cheap if they don't want to spend the couple hundred dollars for it.

A simple thing to rule out would be intercooler boots, it wouldn't shock me if one is disconnected.
I thought the same thing. Told him to check his cold side pipes from the turbo to the TB. He said there were no leaks he could find.

To OilHammer, not sure of the turbo, probably reman'd, it just seems like its not spooling at the 2200 - 2400 rpm as expected.

Ill see if I can convince him to rent a VCDS or something to pull some logs.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, next question, does anyone rent a logger and can help analyze the results? Malone?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
VCDS can be rented for pretty cheap, try googling VCDS rental and choose your preferred vendor. Malone does have some decent instructions and a program that makes it easier to view the logs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476925

If there isn't any large boost leaks, it'd be worth checking that the vacuum lines are connected correctly. User sptsailing was kind enough to make the vacuum diagram easier to read. From there, I'd then test VNT actuator, a google search will reveal many threads on the subject.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...-vacuum-lines-and-components-in-color&cat=516

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS can be rented for pretty cheap, try googling VCDS rental and choose your preferred vendor. Malone does have some decent instructions and a program that makes it easier to view the logs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476925

If there isn't any large boost leaks, it'd be worth checking that the vacuum lines are connected correctly. User sptsailing was kind enough to make the vacuum diagram easier to read. From there, I'd then test VNT actuator, a google search will reveal many threads on the subject.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...-vacuum-lines-and-components-in-color&cat=516
Excellent! Thanks for all the info @crazyrunner33