ALH New timing bet or not

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Back story, I picked up a 02 Golf with a seized engine, it recently had a new timing belt, rollers and water pump installed with only 4k miles on these parts. I have the engine out of the car now and all this stuff looks brand new, conti belt, gebu water pump, dayco tensioner, looks like good kit was put on it.

My question is, would you re-use this stuff on the replacement motor or get all new stuff.
I have no history on when the timing belt was done on the replacement motor.

Thanks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I'd replace it all. Cheap insurance.

Why did it sieze? Maybe some of those parts were damaged.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
If I knew the miles, then sure, doesn’t make much difference. I have a complete timing belt setup that has 40k on it which came off a family car that tossed a valve. it’s going onto my car for the rest remaining 60k miles haha. Crazy? Maybe but I don’t really care all that much when the belts are so easy on these cars.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Locked up while running? So crank stopped suddenly but cam didn't? Maybe belt was damaged, probably stressed.

Keaton's cam stopped or at least was inhibited by a valve. Another belt that saw a load it shouldn't have.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Locked up while running? So crank stopped suddenly but cam didn't? Maybe belt was damaged, probably stressed.

Keaton's cam stopped or at least was inhibited by a valve. Another belt that saw a load it shouldn't have.

I am agreeing with you here, was thinking sudden stop couldn't be good for the belt, I'd even wonder if the tensioner should also be replaced for sure.

What about the rollers and water pump?

peter white

TDI
2010 TDI sedan 2013 TDI wagon
class action

Hi, I own two TDI Jettas that were "fixed" by a VW dealer who said I would not notice any performance change other than 2-3 MPH. I'm down 16%, not 5% and the cars are doggy, bumpy and no longer any fun to drive.
Anyone know of a law firm with a class action program for POST FIX folks that are not satisfied? We told the Dealer we would give the money back and void the extended warranty if they would reverse the "fix". They said NO. Some more legal stuff was given as a reason.
Thanks. Peter White
June 16, 2019

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
define recently? in the last year or so?
Still i would change it, its cheap enough, if the rollers and tensioner was new in less than 40K ago, i would reuse them but the belt? no, not worth the BS of having an issue with it.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
define recently? in the last year or so?
Still i would change it, its cheap enough, if the rollers and tensioner was new in less than 40K ago, i would reuse them but the belt? no, not worth the BS of having an issue with it.

4,000 miles on the belt, tensioner, rollers and water pump.

I think I am just gonna get a whole new kit, $250 is cheap enough verses popping the belt and fixing after that.

I am also putting a new head gasket and bolts on the replacement motor while it's out.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
seems excessive.
the belt is $80 the other parts are fine even if that belt did get jolted
leave the head gasket alone unless it was a known issue and dont push the darn thing

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
seems excessive.
the belt is $80 the other parts are fine even if that belt did get jolted
leave the head gasket alone unless it was a known issue and dont push the darn thing

I found pellets in the reservoir and no history on the car so I pulled the head just to be safe.
When I was taking the replacement motor out I found the lower radiator hose had a hole in it and the o-ring on the pipe that goes to the heater was sloppy.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
I ordered a kit from ID parts for piece of mind, even got the balancer bolts and roller studs.
Plan on owning this Golf for awhile.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hi, I own two TDI Jettas that were "fixed" by a VW dealer who said I would not notice any performance change other than 2-3 MPH. I'm down 16%, not 5% and the cars are doggy, bumpy and no longer any fun to drive.
Anyone know of a law firm with a class action program for POST FIX folks that are not satisfied? We told the Dealer we would give the money back and void the extended warranty if they would reverse the "fix". They said NO. Some more legal stuff was given as a reason.
Thanks. Peter White
June 16, 2019

Just what does your post have in common with someones timing belt and exchange engine???