ALH Timing belt broken... Finding Injection Pump timing without the pulley

porsche189

TDI
2003 TDI JETTA WAGON
I bought the car with a timing belt broken. How do I verify that the Injection pump when it is pinned is in the right position to fire for Cylinder 1 TDC? Is this an electronic pump or will the pin alone be fine when pulley gets put back on and pin fits?
*I have the head off to get repaired... definate valve piston contact, but nothing broken off
*Crank is at TDC

Any tips? I don't understand the pump side and where it has its markings

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Check the piston protrusion if you haven't already.
No need to remove the IP pulley. Use the notch in the
pulley holder to line up with the hole in the casting.
When you get the head back follow the TB procedure
and get the right tools and parts kit for the job.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Re-install the Sprocket Cog on the IP. Set the Cog roughly centered in the three slots and then tighten those three bolts (13mm heads). That will have the IP in the "ball park" relating to Timing. It should start there when you're ready. Look for the Pin Hole and insert the pin.

On the engine, set cylinder #1 on TDC ....... look at the Timing Mark at the hole in the bell housing to verify TDC.

Before setting the head on, make sure that the two Cam Lobes on #1 cylinder at 10 and 2 with the Cam Lock Tool in place at the end of the head.

As Flee stated, use the proper tools to hold everything in the correct position.

porsche189

TDI
2003 TDI JETTA WAGON
Great! I was worried that there could be a problem with where the Injection pump was aligned.
* the notch is IP #1 TDC correct at the engine casting allignment, so it is a 360 degree or 1 full rotation, back to timing mark #1, not more rotations (one for each cylinder) i am more familiar with mechanical, and was scared this would be a bigger problem.

Next step, piston protrusion, check for those bent rods.
ANY idea what it should be? Or am i looking for a discrepancy between the four?

AND where did you guys order a VAG COM for the "on the money" IP adjustment.

porsche189

TDI
2003 TDI JETTA WAGON
Thank you for the help! I also have plans for a vanagon ALH swap, which is part of why I wanted to "get familiar" with the engine and timing belt process.
Did you do the vanagon swap? What do you think about it?

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Was there valve contact on all 4?
Look first for displaced material- was the impact hard enough to deform the piston outwards?
Then, if they did not all contact you can normally use the un-touched holes as reference. If they all did, check them all and compare then share your findings- someone may be able to say if its ballpark.