2006 Jetta Tdi Back up light issues

mark3885

TDI
jetta mk5
I replaced the back up light switch on my 06 jetta TDI, hoping to fix my problem. Still not working . Checked voltage at the plug and only get 3.25v with the key on and 4.0v with the car running. I would expect to see 12v, all systems are working, car runs great , no check engine light . What am I missing here???????????? Thanks in advance for the help.

mark3885

TDI
jetta mk5
Checked all fuses and they are good. I would expect that since I was still getting only 4 v. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
On mine there was a washer under the switch where it screwed into the transmission and it was making the switch slightly too high. This meant the switch never actually got pushed so the reverse lights never came on. I took the washer off and put it in without it and they started working. I think I put a little bit of sealant on the tranny so it wouldn't leak.

mark3885

TDI
jetta mk5
After scanning my Jetta with my VCDS. Its telling me that the Body Control Module is the problem. At over $450 new or about $100 pre-owned, this is crazy, just for back up lights. All other lights work. There has to be a more simple fix for this. I'm almost tempted to run a 12v wire from the switch to the back up lights and call it a day .I have a plug from the front brake pad sensor so what would be the harm???????

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
On mine there was corrosion on the bulb connection point.

With 2006's it is usually worth disconnecting the battery (both terminals), and once they are off, to touch them together a few seconds, then re-connect to the posts. Solves some electrical gremlins.

Not familiar with that module, but if anything connects to it, try reconnecting. That works with my passenger window control module.

Final thought - perhaps your new switch is the problem?

Good luck.

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
If you pull the switch out and press the little button manually with your thumb while it’s still hooked onto the wire, do the lights come on?

tooreal

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, 5-speed Manual, package 1, DOM 10/06. Tinted windows, Rear Spoiler, Reflex Silver
I had this same problem with my backup lights and the License Plate Lights would Not work all the time?! I Replaced all Bulbs and Fuses, and Everything Else, No change Until I Opened the Rubber Wiring Covering Harness on Inside Left Side of Trunk Lid and found One Broken Wire! I Soldered wire back together and applied Insulated Cover Over wire, then the entire Harness under the Trunk Lid. Everything works Great and Have No More Rear Light Problems at all! If I would have had the time when I made this repair I would have Added 4” of New Braided wire to the Wiring Harness to make Sure the wires would Not have Any Stress Points On it Anywhere.

Visually Check Your Wiring and inspect Each wire for possible Breaks, it’s easy to overlook a wire that still has the insulation attached and covering the wire. Any wire that Bends to Easily when looking for any electrical shorts (probably has a Broken wire inside the insulated jacket or wrap).

Good Luck with the Wiring Problem, and I Hope this Helps.

mark3885

TDI
jetta mk5
Body control module was the problem , a new module is in the $500 range . No way am I paying $500 for back up lights. So I ran a wire to the fuse box and switch then back to the trunk and disconnected the wiring to the back up lights. They work as they should for about a $12. I did not cut or splice into any wires , so If in the future I need a new module , everything can be plugged back in .

tooreal

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, 5-speed Manual, package 1, DOM 10/06. Tinted windows, Rear Spoiler, Reflex Silver
Body Control Module

Body control module was the problem , a new module is in the $500 range . No way am I paying $500 for back up lights. So I ran a wire to the fuse box and switch then back to the trunk and disconnected the wiring to the back up lights. They work as they should for about a $12. I did not cut or splice into any wires , so If in the future I need a new module , everything can be plugged back in .
WOW, that is Expensive!
Where did you locate the Body control module on the MK5 exactly? I’d like to see what that part looks like..

mark3885

TDI
jetta mk5
Never looked for the module , but I think I read some where that it is located near or attached to the fuse box