Retrofit Active Info Display / Virtual Cockpit

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Went with the 8" matte. It let me keep all my silver trim, which I actually prefer to gloss black. I also found that deal on the screen for $100. The seller at the time had seven or eight of them, at 175 or best offer, as-is. I offered $100 for the one that looked best in the pictures. They accepted the offer and the screen worked. Otherwise I'd probably still be running the 6.5. I also upgraded from my mib2 non nav retrofit to mib2 with nav because I was doing the AID. I was never able to find 8" non nav matte screen for less than $3-400.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I was able to get the 8" glass for a little more than $100. Since the bezel doesn't come in brushed aluminum, I'll need to probably wrap it with vinyl so it matches with the rest of the car. Let me know when you find out which brand you used. Thanks!

dna007

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL
Glow plug error/fault code has permanent fix now when retrofitting AID, Thanks to the King himself

instagram.com/peterdna

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Glow plug error/fault code has permanent fix now when retrofitting AID, Thanks to the King himself
Can you share what the secret is - how do we get rid of that glow plug fault code for good?

dna007

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL
PM me for details, I can't share the code, as it took me a while to get it working, and seems no one knows how to make them work as a "retrofit" anywhere on TDI's even in Europe.
This is my business and what I do.
If you have VCDS I can remote in and perform the change needed.

Peter
instagram.com/peterdna

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Wait..you guys have just been driving around with a glow plug fault lit up on the dash all this time??
That would drive me nuts! haha

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't have the CEL most of the time - pops up maybe once every 25x I start the car. I have a OBDLink CX (poor-man's OBDeleven) that works with my iPhone; when it does pop up, I just plug in the OBDLink and quickly clear it there.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Conversely, I have the CEL most of the time, unless I'm slow and deliberate with turning the key from off > ignition on, which allows the Glow Plug Indicator to stay on for ~1 second prior to each start (basically the test of the light). The CEL seems, to me, to be the result of the engine ECU failing to register a successful test of the glow plug indicator.

A few startups without my "slow key dance" and I get the fault, and CEL. Do the "slow key dance" for the next 4-5 startups and the fault/CEL clear. Make sure to do the dance at every startup and I've gone a month+ without the CEL. But if I forget for a couple starts, or my wife drives the car (usually the case) the fault and CEL return.

First recorded the fault and CEL the day after installing the AID. But it's not like I could go back to the dealer for assistance with retrofit problems, so here we be.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm....that's interesting. I have KESSY push-button start, so I don't have a choice in how long the "key" is in "on" position before cranking the engine. And while we do have much cooler weather here in the winter where the glow plugs would activate most starts, all through the summers (typical mid-high 20sC /~80°F), that wouldn't be the case.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean, I just placed the order to add KESSY handles to the rear doors on my car, so you really should. ;)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
So what's that all-in cost for someone with an SEL to go with the virtual display? You know, just in case I feel the need to do something else to this car for some reason.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm gonna say $1200 for parts (cluster and bezel and MOST cable to connect MIB to cluster).
Installation: If you're on this message board, you probably have the dominant DIY gene, so you can do that yourself. :)
Remote session to remove component protection and pair keys: I'd guess $100 for that. Or take it to your dealer for probably $200.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't remember if you've upgraded your MIB head unit / display to MIB2 (?). If you have, then for sure you can get the maps display in the AID; if not and you're still on MIB1....I'm not sure if maps can be made to show up in the AID.
(And if you haven't upgraded, it's SO much easier (read: cheaper) than when I did it: someone posted on here a little while ago (and listed out their costs) at a little over $400.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I did get the MIB2 head unit and a larger display, and would consider myself somewhat versed in VCDS coding if the right information is there for the taking (LED taillights were like 40 different changes in adaptations!).
Do AA/Carplay maps show in the display or just factory Nav? Sorry if this is already posted here!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only factory Nav shows up in the AID; my assumption is that the MIB provides the centre display with Nav images / data, so it can also share that to the AID. With CarPlay / AA, though, the centre display is being fed by the phone, so the MIB is blind to that image/data.

Whoever does your coding to remove CP and pair the keys should take care of all the other coding changes necessary (of which there aren't many); there are a couple of tweaks you can make in coding (font, color), as well as layout options with the steering controls.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean, there's the adage that anything is possible with sufficient time and money, but.....no.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you need help with? There are lots of other folks out there who can handle remote programming.
VAG Retrofits is one (facebook); I know a guy in Finland who is really good, responsive, and has better English than lots of folks on this side of the Atlantic. :)
pm me if you want his contact info.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Edited the original post to mention that if you're doing this and want communication between your MIB and Virtual Cockpit (maps!), do yourself a favour and grab one of these little MOST extenders - the commonly available splitter is gives you just BARELY enough length to reach the cluster, but damn, it's a tight fit.
Much easier to connect everything with the extra few inches provided by the extender.

UncleBumpy

TDI
'19 eGolf SEL
If anyone on this thread is an eGolf owner looking for a digital dash, I would be willing to swap my digital dash for your analog.