Apple CarPlay

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Has anyone retrofitted Apple CarPlay into their TDI? I have a 2014 A6 Prestrige and I’m looking to add CarPlay. Thanks!

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
My Boss added it to his Wife's Cayenne Diesel, works very well. He also bought a kit for his Audi S6 but has since sold the car to another employee so not sure it will get installed.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
There’s a kit at Unique Auto Developments, pretty pricey. Haven’t used it myself, too rich for my blood. RSNAV has a solution. Check eBay.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks Radman. Do you know what product was used and where it was sourced?
He is on holiday this week, will ask next week when he returns. I know it was around $500 - $600 for the kit (he did the installation himself) Fairly involved install removing dash panels and console, and had to open the radio.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
It sounds like the Unique Auto Developments product. I’m leaning that way. If I go for it I will report back to everyone but I’ve heard nothing but great things. Downside is the expense. But cheaper than a new ride...or even the taxes on a new ride.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
That seems affordable, keep us posted!
I emailed the seller. It will not work for my Q5. I have the MMI and Nav. This unit is for the basic set up. That said, the seller did not, for an extra $10, a touch screen overlay could be included.

I reached out to Unique Auto Developments since that one did not work out. For $700 (without installation) I will be OK without Apple CarPlay for a while longer.

Drive safe.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
A quick review of the Unique Auto Developments CarPlay upgrade...
Cost - (with credit card exchange fees - I'm in the US) $554.94
Vehicle - 2014 A6 Prestige with MMI
CarPlay version ordered - MMI-High; Wired version

It's important to note that I have AMI and do not have a touchscreen.

My goal in all of this was to have a hard-wired CarPlay option where you had to stuff your phone in the glove box but still had access to Waze, music and other phone features that make CarPlay so simple and appealing. I will have some new drivers in the house in the next few years and they will be driving this car on occasion. I want them to throw their phones in the glove box and not be distracted while driving, but still have access to directions, etc.

Installation instructions were spot on and they provided all the tools to install with the exception of a t-tap to connect power to the MMI wire on the CarPlay unit. Service was great as I had some wires come loose and had to trouble shoot some things on my end. Props to UAD as they responded quickly with great information (email communication). I did trip an airbag code because the car power popped on while I had some wires disconnected from the HVAC controls. Once back together I had to hook up my HexNet to clear the codes.

I also had to update the firmware on the CarPlay box. No big deal, but it would have been nice to have had that completed prior to delivery.

Functionally, it's okay. Because I have AMI, I am really limited to two channel audio quality (left and right input). The sound quality on the bluetooth connection is much better, however since I have AMI, I cannot get turn by turn direction from google maps or Waze to come through my speakers unless I choose the external input as my media connection which is the L/R option hooked up to the CarPlay through the provided AMI connection. This could be a limitation of the wired option...I just don't know because I don't have the wireless option.

Another drawback I noticed is shadowing MMI controls. What I mean by this is to access the CarPlay Menu, you have to press and hold the navigation button on your MMI control. Then you can use your MMI knob to control the CarPlay menu. However, your Audi doesn't know that you are in CarPlay as the CarPlay box manually overrides what is showing on your screen. So whatever scrolling you are doing in the CarPlay menu is actually happening on whatever menu is selected on your Audi menu as well but you just can't see it because visually you are looking at the CarPlay menu. The first night I had installed this I happened to be on the telephone Audi screen while in CarPlay. I had not switched off the bluetooth on my phone so I was still connected for hands free and music. I ended up calling 4 people late that evening when I thought I was choosing songs from my playlists while testing. This doesn't happen if your bluetooth is off. Part of the learning curve, and completely my fault, but something to be aware of.

I will be taking some long trips in the next couple of months so I will get to see how this performs using directions, making calls (which is also separate from Audi's handsfree bluetooth - you have to run a separate microphone up to the dome lights which is provided in the package), and listening to music. Perhaps my perception of the value of CarPlay will increase with extended and intended use.

Right now, my thoughts are, it's okay, but probably worth 1/2 of what I paid. Like I said, I hope my thoughts change after extended use, and coming up the learning curve a bit of the limitations of the options I selected.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Thank you for the honest review. I look forward to hearing about your thoughts after more time with it.

Drive safe.

dropshadow

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
This is my first post here, but not on car forums in general, so bear with me. I picked up a 2012 Q7 TDI last week and also ordered a standalone CarPlay interface module from RSNAV to install into my Q7.

It hasn't shipped from China yet, however, I've had an earlier version of the same unit installed in my 2013 allroad since October 2017, so I'm very familiar with the product. I chose this solution because the developer is active on Audizine and responds to queries quickly.

My 2nd-generation unit has some quirks but otherwise works well. The unit I've just ordered is a 4th-generation device that supposedly has addressed the issues from the earlier models. I will report back once I have received and installed it. The module was plug & play with the only modification needed being enabling the AUX input in the hidden green menu via VCDS.

Here are a couple quick videos I made of the device shortly after I first installed it:

Startup operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJP7yb6PtU

Switching to backup camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOkTfz0wBo

Last edited:

dropshadow

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
Finally found some time to attempt this installation in my Q7 4L. The harness I was sent is for a Q5, but the only difference is how two wires tap into power from the climate controls. Once I figured that out, the first thing I did was cut off this part of the harness and discard it since the only wires I need from it are the two that are spliced into it. The rest are just pass-throughs.

Picked up a set of T-tap connectors:

Identified the correct wires on the car harness:

Tapped them:

Tested before reinstalling:

All buttoned back up:

dropshadow

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
Well glad it is working for you. I've looked at this a bit. I've now been following this thread over at Audizine.

Seems like there is a way to have Android Auto / Carplay activated depending on what model you have. I'd love to have Android Auto in my car.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/845614-C7-5-2016-RS7-Apple-CarPlay-actived!

Mine actually quit working a day later, so I'm working with the developer to get a replacement. I'm also getting the newer unit with wireless CarPlay. I'll reinstall and report back.

This unit is both CarPlay and Android Auto. You select what you want to use at startup.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Mine actually quit working a day later, so I'm working with the developer to get a replacement. I'm also getting the newer unit with wireless CarPlay. I'll reinstall and report back.

This unit is both CarPlay and Android Auto. You select what you want to use at startup.
Did you get it working again?

dropshadow

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
Got the replacement interface and upgraded to the newer version with wireless CarPlay as well. Installed it last night in about 15 minutes using the harness from the first one so I didn't have to modify another. Wireless setup took a little bit because instructions were a little confusing, but it works well. I'll probably still plug in for charging, but it's a cool feature.

This new module starts up a lot faster than the 2nd Gen unit in my allroad, and it goes right into CarPlay without me having to click anything. The brightness/contrast/saturation controls in the new unit are a welcome addition, as well as the EQ.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Updating this thread. I installed wireless Carplay into my Q5 yesterday. It’s real nice. Used this product:

RSNAV