Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

airedad

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Platinum Gray, 5spd, option package 2. Wunderschoen.
Atlanta area - prices I've seen range from a high of 3.099 to a low of 2.799 lately. I live on the north side of town (near the GA400 corridor). Someone I work with who lives on the SW side of town says she sees a range of 2.749 to 3.099 as well (BTW, their diesel is an ancient Volvo 240 diesel with 485Kmiles on it).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Here's a useful website for state-by-state diesel prices:
http://www.etrucker.com/apps/promiles/fuelprices.asp

Their data is collected from 8000 truckstops nationwide. Some states, like Arizona, charge more road use tax on heavy trucks than they do for autos and light trucks. And I'm not sure exactly what folks pay in Oregon.

But as you can see, on average diesel prices are up about 0.7 cents/gallon since yesterday. Light sweet crude oil futures held steady today at just a bit more than $75/bbl.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
PDJetta said:
Daily price changes from AAA:

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/
I check out the AAA website regularly. It might be useful to compare different locations, or to keep track of trends. But their "averages" are not really an average of what people pay. I think it's an average of what stations are charging, and not weighted by how how much is actually being sold.

For example, assume two stations on the same corner. One is charging $3.00/gallon for diesel, the other is charging $3.40/gallon. (Actual example, see my post above for June 28th). The one charging $3.00 has a steady stream of customers, usually with one or two waiting for each pump. The other station isn't selling any diesel, or at most one or two vehicles per hour. A weighted average would be about $3.05 (if you divided the total amount spent by the total gallons pumped at both stations). But AAA would just take the average of the two prices, so $3.20. Even though 95% or 99% of the people who purchased diesel at that intersection paid only $3.00.

Whatever AAA says is the average price in San Diego County, I can usually count on paying 15-20 cents/gallon less than that.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Last I looked at the least expensive station in town, it was about 2.85.

As thats at my favorite grorcry store, I can take 10c a gallong off that.

However on my side of town, same store, its not disocunted prices is 2.94. hmmm (I get over to the other side of town often enough to fill up there. )

jjohnv

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta upsolute chip (2003 engine)
cheapest by far near me is 3.09 on the nys through way (87) at a shell in yonkers, ny. otherwise around 3.25

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
D2 has been moderately less than gas here for a few weeks now, which is the first time I can ever remember it being cheaper. (I'm a former gasser driver, so wouldn't have noticed 15 years ago.) Unleaded has steadily crept up here, with D2 staying about the same level. At least people won't be asking me 'yea, but doesn't diesel cost more?' (This is what they say right after I tell them I get 46 on the highway. Some people just can't get past the mental block of paying more per gallon, but not understanding I go twice as far on each gallon.)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I had to go to my brother's place in Va, so I filled up going and coming at the Mobil station in Carney's Point, NJ (down at the end of the Turnpike). When I pulled up to the diesel pump, the owner(?) asked me to wait a couple of minutes because he was changing the prices. There were a few people standing around and he leaned over to me and told me not to worry, that the diesel wasn't going up. $2.749 a gallon.

tonysailor

b100 two prices

If pump B100 into your car/truck directly you pay $2.34 plus .41 tax per gal.

However, if you pump it into a container, fuel cans, or 55 gal drum, you pay $2.34 plus .04 sales tax (that's 4 cents per dollar), it's $2.43 per gal.

That's here in Yorktown VA

Tony

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
2.71 gallon on rt 130 from Hightstown to Bordentown NJ multi stations Shell, Mobile and Gulf along with some no names. More in Hamilton off 130.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
I've been seeing a consistent $3.05 at my favorite low price station for several days now. I've stopped fueling there as I am currently making the transition to Bio for which I pay $3.26 consistant for quite a few days now!

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
I paid 3.09 yesterday in Bristol, CT next to ESPN, which is typically higher than anywhere else in the area, but still much lower than 87.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, Silver, 6-spd
Just paid $2.73 on Tuesday, up from $2.69 on Sat (7/8/06). The sign showed they were moving up to $2.75

Fuel One - Rt. 1 South, Edison, NJ

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
I just filled mine for 98.5 cents per litre If i converted that to american.

1 U.S. Gallon = 3.78 litres
3.78 litres Multiplied by 98.5 cents = 3.72 Canadian
$3.28 USD per U.S. Gallon

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yesterday there was a single ARCO station charging $2.999 in SD County. Today there are two others, plus a bunch at $3.039 and 3.059. Also, the four Flying J truckstops in SoCal (Bakersfield, Barstow, 1000 Palms, and Frazier Park) have dropped their prices to $3.039. Usually the cheapest San Diego stations are about 10 cents higher than Flying J, but ARCO is really driving down the prices here. I filled up for $3.089 at a Valero station this morning... a few cents more than the minimum, but no extra charge for using a credit or debit card. ARCO doesn't take credit cards, and charges $.45 for using a debit card. And lots of stations are now charging $.07-.10 per gallon for using credit cards. (I expect this practice to become universal in a few months.)

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Coast2Coast said:
damn it, the cheapest i get is 3.33... most places are 3.50 up... but im in Chappaqua NY and no one here knows how to read a price they just swipe their credit cards and go on with their day... sad... sad
LOL too true! I grew up in Katonah......I can still hear the train Metro North train conductors announcing "Chappaqua.....Chappaqua" in that distinctive way/accent.

$2.92 for LSD
$2.99 for ULSD

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I topped off on the Jersey Turnpike at $2.739 a galllon and I got to fill and top off my tank as always :D .

Remember the days when fuel was only $1.50?? Those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According the eTrucker.com website, diesel prices dropped in most states today. It was higher in 8 states and unchanged in 6.

If MiddleEast tensions push crude prices higher, product prices will climb too. But for now, and probably for the next 6-8 weeks, gasoline will climb faster than diesel and other distillates. Then the markets will start anticipating the winter heating season and start bidding up the price for HHO.

HFSH

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
last night I fueled up for the first time since 7/1. Price was 3.049, down a penny from the previous day. I was at 595 miles, fuel light was on, and I was driving by the station I usually fill up at, so I filled it up. Over 14 gallons right up to the cap. :eek:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
The latest report from Anchorage AK is

Suddenly the diesel jumped 6C a gallon over RUG. Also, station on the South end of town had lower RUG and diesel to match, now same on North end (I guess they lower until we all start filling up down there then even it out!)

Upshot is its at our local national chain store (yea right) –which we get a discount at for buying there- Non reduced price was $2.86 a gallon. With the Discount it was $2.76 a gallon.

Generally around town its around $2.89 a gallon.

And while not advertised (or listed) its ULSD now (I expect the pumps to show that come October).

I filled up the other tank on the pickup as I expect the gasoline prices to jump soon. Good for the next 4-6 months as we don’t drive it that much (we still had discount crdit to use, so I figured it was a good time!)

VW97TDI

TDI
97 Jetta TDI
Deisel Prices

I am in Northern Wisconsin...My last fill up was $3.09/Gal have seen it as high as $3.14/Gal. I will bet it will be way more this winter.