DSG issues.

CodyPD06

TDI
2006 Jetta PD
Ok so my 06 Jetta, the DSG seams very hesitant starting out. Looking at the dash sometimes it switches back and forth between 1st and 2nd when slowing down and starting out. And it takes what seems like for ever to engage. While driving it shifts just fine. Im also hearing a "tick" out of the shifter every time I stop and go.

DMF was replaced a few months back.

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
You can try and use Vagcom to run a transmission adaptation. See if that helps you. If not run the codes and see if anything is wrong. You can also try and do a DSG fluid change. Your best bet is the adaptation, that allows the transmission to autocorrect itself.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
How many miles on car? The DSG fluid and filter must be changed at and every 40K for them to last. I don't know if a hard reset would work but it's worth a try. Disconnect both battery cables and discharge them to each other. It would be great to scan first though. Also have you changed your fuel filter lately. If it is plugged up it could be holding it back as well.

CodyPD06

TDI
2006 Jetta PD
206,000 miles. Im not sure when or even if the tranny has been serviced. I've been wanting to get it done just haven't had the time.
I change the fuel filter regularly.

Is there like a shift solenoid or something that could cause this?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
206,000 miles. Im not sure when or even if the tranny has been serviced. I've been wanting to get it done just haven't had the time.
I change the fuel filter regularly.

Is there like a shift solenoid or something that could cause this?

how long or how many miles have owned the car?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I've owned the car since December. So far I've replaced the following......
One injector
Cam and lifters
DMF
Pump in the tank
How many miles not the time you have owned it.. If you have no clue about the dsg service (every 40k) then just do it. No there is no solenoid....just the mechatronics unit(expensive) that controls the transmission. You have a computer controlled manual transmission not a slushbox torq converter trans. I hope you purchased the car cheap!

Last edited:

CodyPD06

TDI
2006 Jetta PD
How many miles not the time you have owned it.. If you have no clue about the dsg service (every 40k) then just do it. No there is no solenoid....just the mechatronics unit(expensive) that controls the transmission. You have a computer controlled manual transmission not a slushbox torq converter trans. I hope you purchased the car cheap!
3900 bucks. I feel like I got screwed lol. Then dump another 4k into it. I have mixed feelings about this car. It runs ok, but I feel like it could run smoother and drive smoother tranny wise. I've been around the ALH's and the CR's but not these PD's. I don't know a whole lot about these cars in general. I just know subtle differences.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DSG didn't get its slang name "Dorky Spastic Gearbox" for nothing. Sometimes the shift mapping seems a little odd, but once you realize what it is (two three speed manual transmissions each with their own clutch running in parallel) then it starts to make sense. The early ones were worse, the later ones are actually pretty good.

The fluid, if neglected, can cause some bad clutch chatter and erratic engagements. Compromised mounts, particularly the lower roll mount, can also cause some strange behavior that gets wrongfully blamed on the transmission.

I would change the fluid and filter, reset the adaptations, and see how it behaves. Often that will make some pretty good improvements on a neglected higher mileage unit. The 02E DSG is actually a pretty good transmission. You just have to understand its quirks and maintain it properly.