VW Jetta TDI BRM MKV Error Code Guidance

billiebbyy

TDI
‘06 VW Jetta TDI - BRM Engine 212k Miles - 2nd Owner - DIYer
VW Jetta TDI BRM MKV Error Code 01025 - EGR Insufficient Flow

-Engine: 01025 - EGR Insufficient Flow
The man that owned the 06 VW Jetta TDI MKV BRM before I bought it said he deleted the EGR, HOWEVER when I put the car on the lift, none of the EGR holes were blocked off. Honestly, I don’t know which ones should be and what should be connected from the lack of DIY’s on the BRM engine. But I found an EGR gasket laying on the fender-well a week after getting the car and threw it away because he said he deleted it and figured it was done correctly, but obv not. I just don’t understand how it could have Insufficient Flow if there is nothing there...? And cannot find a single DIY on an EGR Delete for a BRM engine to know where the blocking plates are placed. Photos coming tomorrow evening for more info. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
A "quick and easy" method of blocking the EGR is to use stainless steel plates between the connections at the intake and the exhaust. All the components remain in place, but the flow path is blocked.

However, without the ECM reprogramming, the lack of EGR flow is detected and there you have your CEL.

billiebbyy

TDI
I planned on getting the tune for the Delete, but I can’t find good photos of where the blocking plates are supposed to be. They were left open from the past owner and that just doesn’t seem like the best idea for the intake or exhaust to just be open...

billiebbyy

TDI
Is the spot circled where one plate goes? As for the other plate, I can’t find a photo to know where it goes.

billiebbyy

TDI
I’m just unsure if I block off where the cooler was or if I block where the “U” shape connector pipe was. There isn’t anything thing there but holes so it’s not like I’m starting from the beginning with everything there. This MF just took it off and went on about his day...

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
The plates go on the exhaust manifold, underneath the turbo, and on the intake at the location circled in your picture.

It sounds like the previous owner removed (or had removed) the EGR cooler.

You'll need two blockoff plates, the gaskets, and a tune to zero out the EGR function to clear the codes.

billiebbyy

TDI
So I’m just blocking off the holes where the cooler used to be? What about the elbow connector that comes with the kit? And what tune would you recommend? I’ve read about them but don’t really understand what it does or how to do it...

Last edited:

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
The elbow is used to connect together the two coolant hoses that go to the (now removed) EGR cooler. The blockoff plates go right on the open holes, yes.

Which kit are you using? There's a couple out there, one that comes with two aluminum blockoff plates and one that comes with a steel plate for the exhaust. It's possible under hot and heavy use to warp the aluminum plate and create an exhaust leak.

As for the tune? That depends on your plans for the car. I went with a Malone Tuning stage 1.5.