eBay Connecting Rods.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
These guys sell 2 different styles, 50.6mm big end and 53.7mm big end. Which one do I need for an AHU?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
So is anyone running these rods yet? I'm building a motor over the winter and am very interested...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Just ordered a set for $259 shipped. Anymore feedback on these?

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
I still have mine sitting in my living room. I hope to have my motor built for Eurokracy (June/July), but it's not looking likely.

I still need pistons, rings, bearings, turbo, likely a stronger clutch....

gerico_200

TDI
vw polo 6n ALH twinturbo
HI

happy news year :) !!!!

who tried with real pressures ? 3b5 , 4b ?
51psi , 60psi

;)

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, those are them. They are just getting them back in stock, mine are being shipped Thursday.

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
You could get a machine shop to rifle them with small holes. Mine were drilled like this. No problems yet..

What is the interest to do this mod ? Is there a hole as well in your upper bearing ? Otherwise, I think that it's not going to be helpful for wrist pin lubrication.

Isn't it better to have a hole drilled at the other end of the rod for having some oil coming from under the piston and from the oil squirter to lubricate the wrist pin ?

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
Of course but where is the oil coming from ? I don't remember if there is a hole in the upper rod bearing of an AFN (sputter bearing). If not, there won't be any lubrication

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
The nicer pistons have a channel that will allow oil from the oil squirter to go through it all over the bottom of the piston and onto of the connecting rod. That is my understanding anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
That's why I asked this question.

What would be the best ?
Just a hole on top of the rod over the wrist pin with oil coming from oil squirter and lubrication channel of the piston or a hole going through the whole length of the rod from crankshaft to wrist pin (pressurized oil).

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Those will propably work just as fine as any other H-beam rods. The main problem is the small end bushing. Those have failed with Rostens and with some cheaper generic rods.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
During all these years i have had maybe 3 questions about supplying new bushings for my rods.
I have also had maybe the same amount of questions about supplying bushings for OEM tapered rods since they are not sold separate
So it can't be that much of a "main problem"
The OEM tapered rods do not have any oil holes either
Also the rod bearings have no oil holes so not much of a point in gun drilling the rods,unless gasoline bearings are used which some clever brains fitted their rods with.
Not sure how smart that is since the gasoline bearings are narrower :)
I did add oil holes on both sides of the small end on the I-beams just because people asked for it
It is basically the best place to add a oil hole if any since the oil jet will hit close to that area.
But since the rod is tapered in the small end,the oil will drain down to the widest section of the pin anyway

Last edited:

mk3pd

TDI
So should I get a machine shop to add oil holes to these rods? I have ARL pistons if that would make any difference.
I am sure the guy you bought the rods from can give you a Professional answer on that question (or maybe not)

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
And then I didn't have money because I suck at managing it.

I actually had a bunch of stuff pop up with my house and just general car maintenance, so I put it off. No sense in building a motor for a car that is in crappy condition. I'm on strike right now, so I have loads of time, just not a lot of money. If I can get enough spare change to get the head machined and reconditioned then I'll be good to start building the motor. Stay posted. I'll be sure to take lots of photos.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Dorkage,

Measuring rods is possible for a machine shop that is well equipped, but the right tool can't be beat. Besides there is more to it then the size and shape of the journal end. Parallel wrist pin and journal, weight, big and small end and distance to center, all which require specialized tooling. Sure, you can cobble something together, but the accuracy provided by the correct tool is the way to go. Find a auto machine shop that has the tooling. It's worth the peace of mind. Better yet, buy rods from a company that has a track record.

Almost all of the TDI rods are set up for 5/16-24 threading. And of course, there are exceptions. The smaller bolts are cheaper.

You should check the threads, too. We have found some of those ' great deals' arent threaded completely and the bolts are too tight in the hole. That doesn't help my interest in those rods.

mk3pd

TDI
I haven't seen much about these on the forum. I've read about Honda guys having a lot of success with the Eagle rods and just the normal generic forged rods.
Anyways, I saw a set go on sale on eBay for $259 including bolts and taxes, so I figured why not?

They came with ARP bolts and in a S4 forum where someone bought the same type of rods, apparently a ARP rep confirmed the bolts are authentic.

They are very nice and seem to be good quality. Certainly look just like some of the big name ones. They all weight 586~587 grams with bolts. The Rosten ones that look alike weight slightly less.
Here is a photo album with some more photos, including my crappy attempt to weight the small end.

http://imgur.com/a/PkNGV/all
Some of the rods still have a tiny bit of wax paper one them from the packaging, which might look like imperfections in the photos. I have yet to find any imperfections with the rods visually.

I have a longblock with 440000KM on it that these will be going into for my future 2260 build. I'll refresh the whole block and head and see how well they work.

Questions / Comments?
Those rods have 3/8 bolts judging by the picture