Attempting to Understand VW Oil Standards

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Hi Bob,

See my last sentence. My suggestion was to run two different oils. I wouldn't run an oil with 1% ash in the newer DPF models.

If you did want to try the 507 oil in the PD, I'd test the used oil over several successive service intervals and look at the amount and consistency of the Fe levels. I'd be good with anything less than 60 ppm of iron after 10k miles. Provided the wear pattern was stable....

Thanks,

TS

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have four different oils at my house: Synthoil pure synthetic 505.00 for the rotary pump TDIs, Shell Rotella 15w40 for the M-B, and Liqui Moly 0w40 for the Miata. No big deal. I get the 505.00 in 20 liter bottles because I have four rotary pump cars to care for.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hi Bob,

See my last sentence. My suggestion was to run two different oils. I wouldn't run an oil with 1% ash in the newer DPF models.

If you did want to try the 507 oil in the PD, I'd test the used oil over several successive service intervals and look at the amount and consistency of the Fe levels. I'd be good with anything less than 60 ppm of iron after 10k miles. Provided the wear pattern was stable....

Thanks,

TS
Sorry, didn't see that last line.

Another option in both PD and CR TDI, if out of warranty, is an MB 229.51 xw40 like Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. Most other xw40 229.51 oils are also VW 505.01 too.

eidentwizzler

TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon 106kmi
Recently got my hands on a 2005 TDI (PD) Jetta wagon. Trying to find correct oil. So far, I haven't found any VW 505.01 stuff, but the local (non-chain) imported auto parts store (German -focused) tells me that LubriMoly spec'd for VW505.00 is good. Also tells me that some Amsoil (didn't pay attention to the specific variety, but he tells me it's better thanthe Lubri-Moly stuff) he has is good. Is he telling me "the truth", or is he blowing smoke?

Thanks.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Recently got my hands on a 2005 TDI (PD) Jetta wagon. Trying to find correct oil. So far, I haven't found any VW 505.01 stuff, but the local (non-chain) imported auto parts store (German -focused) tells me that LubriMoly spec'd for VW505.00 is good. Also tells me that some Amsoil (didn't pay attention to the specific variety, but he tells me it's better thanthe Lubri-Moly stuff) he has is good. Is he telling me "the truth", or is he blowing smoke?

Thanks.
IDparts.com, in your backyard, They have several to offer.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
... the local (non-chain) imported auto parts store (German -focused) tells me that LubriMoly spec'd for VW505.00 is good. Also tells me that some Amsoil (didn't pay attention to the specific variety, but he tells me it's better thanthe Lubri-Moly stuff) he has is good.Is he telling me "the truth", or is he blowing smoke?

Thanks.
The latter. You have a PD & this was covered above.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta

Thanks.
T6 5/40 rotella can be found just about anywhere

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Recently got my hands on a 2005 TDI (PD) Jetta wagon. Trying to find correct oil. So far, I haven't found any VW 505.01 stuff, but the local (non-chain) imported auto parts store (German -focused) tells me that LubriMoly spec'd for VW505.00 is good. Also tells me that some Amsoil (didn't pay attention to the specific variety, but he tells me it's better than the Lubri-Moly stuff) he has is good. Is he telling me "the truth", or is he blowing smoke?

Thanks.
I have the same year, make, model vehicle. Just use either Shell Rotella T6 5W40 or Mobil 1 TDT 5W40. The main concern is the cam and, to protect it, use a xW40 weight oil. 30 weight seems to be too light as more cam wear has been shown when it was used instead of a 40 weight grade.

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I have the same year, make, model vehicle. Just use either Shell Rotella T6 10W40 or Mobil 1 TDT 10W40. The main concern is the cam and, to protect it, use a xW40 weight oil. 30 weight as in 10W30 seems to be too light as more cam wear has been shown when it was used instead of a 40 weight grade.
Isn't that 15w40 you mean?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I have the same year, make, model vehicle. Just use either Shell Rotella T6 10W40 or Mobil 1 TDT 10W40. The main concern is the cam and, to protect it, use a xW40 weight oil. 30 weight as in 10W30 seems to be too light as more cam wear has been shown when it was used instead of a 40 weight grade.
Isn't that 15w40 you mean?
this should be 5W40

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'm in a similar thread over in the Miata forum discussing 10W30 vs 10W40. Sometimes I think the solution is to not use any oil at all; just Slick 50! :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I use 0W40 in my Miata because of the small oil passages. Supposed to help keep oil pressure from getting too high when cold.