Feeler.whats it worth.. 04 Wagon tdi

campbellflage

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon TDI BEW
Just wanting to see what, if any interest is out there. I really want a newer golf tdi.
2004 jetta wagen with 242k (daily driven) Manual trans
silver in color, cloth interior, power everything.
Exterior is in great shape, no rust, only two small dings from what it looks like the PO hit the body with a jack handle, and a car door ding on the passenger side. Interior needs a little tlc, currently the roof sags (will fix if it sells), and the door cloth material is doing the same thing.
Mechanically its great, fires up and runs like a champ. Turbo was replaced with vnt17 due to the stock one being broken when I bought it, I installed it and cleaned out the intercooler at the same time. Egr block off plates also in place, but otherwise stock.
Timing belt done last week 242k along with oil change.

Not really sure what these are going for, So ... offers.. Not giving it away, the boss(fiancé) has a number in mind payment wise that I can go to on a used golf, so keepin the wagen if its not working mathematically.

Pictures up later when I figure out how to do it on the forum again.

karijohn007

TDI
2001 Jetta
I don't like throwing numbers around without having a number to start with. But we've been looking for a wagon to tote the kids around in. What are you guys thinking?

campbellflage

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon TDI BEW
I don't like throwing numbers around without having a number to start with. But we've been looking for a wagon to tote the kids around in. What are you guys thinking?
To be honest, Im not really sure what they are going for. I have money into it now (turbo, timing belt kit complete, and new alt + pully, battery earlier this year)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not as much right now as they used to. There was one here in Minnesota with similar mileage, but an ALH, which is more desirable to a lot of people. Last asking price was $6K, don't know what it sold for. I know my mechanic has found several wagons in the $1,500-$2000 range, but of course those need work. Pristine ones may still go for $8K and up, but yours probably wouldn't be considered pristine.

I think the market is soft right now. It may change for the better in the future, but it may not. It's not just Jetta wagons, it seems that a lot of the older TDIs are sitting unsold. There's a 2-door Golf here that's been sitting for a long time, but it's got around 250K on it. Probably is a 3-4K car right now, if that. Locally a guy I know couldn't sell a '99.5 Golf with 116K on it for $5K. Good tires, new timing belt and alternator, cosmetically very good. No takers.

campbellflage

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon TDI BEW
Not as much right now as they used to. There was one here in Minnesota with similar mileage, but an ALH, which is more desirable to a lot of people. Last asking price was $6K, don't know what it sold for. I know my mechanic has found several wagons in the $1,500-$2000 range, but of course those need work. Pristine ones may still go for $8K and up, but yours probably wouldn't be considered pristine.

I think the market is soft right now. It may change for the better in the future, but it may not. It's not just Jetta wagons, it seems that a lot of the older TDIs are sitting unsold. There's a 2-door Golf here that's been sitting for a long time, but it's got around 250K on it. Probably is a 3-4K car right now, if that. Locally a guy I know couldn't sell a '99.5 Golf with 116K on it for $5K. Good tires, new timing belt and alternator, cosmetically very good. No takers.
I just figured I would check it out. If it doesn't sell, no big deal. I'd like to get into a new golf, but not gonna kill myself on payments. Like them under 200 a month. Found a couple of them locally for 17k. If not Ill keep my little wagon, its paid for. Thanks for the info.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes, the market for older TDI's appears to be soft this summer. There have been a few 2002-03 wagons go up or sale and sit a long time. A couple of years ago, those wagons were jumping off the shelves for good money. I just sold a very nice 2000 Jetta TDI for $1000 less than I thought it would go for, and it had a new TB kit and new tires.

campbellflage

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon TDI BEW
Yes, the market for older TDI's appears to be soft this summer. There have been a few 2002-03 wagons go up or sale and sit a long time. A couple of years ago, those wagons were jumping off the shelves for good money. I just sold a very nice 2000 Jetta TDI for $1000 less than I thought it would go for, and it had a new TB kit and new tires.
Yeah, I figured it was worth a shot. No big deal, Ill just wait till next year when I finish up school.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Not as much right now as they used to. There was one here in Minnesota with similar mileage, but an ALH, which is more desirable to a lot of people.
I agree. My opinion is that the CR cars are starting to eat into the used TDI market. Lots of old ALH drivers are "upgrading" so there are more old MKIV's around used. Plus the used CR market is just emerging now that those cars are getting to be 3-4 years old. When we were in the market in summer of 2011 we had to buy new because there was no used inventory, but that isn't true anymore.

My opinion on this car is that it probably won't fetch more than $6k based on the mileage.

campbellflage

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon TDI BEW
I agree. My opinion is that the CR cars are starting to eat into the used TDI market. Lots of old ALH drivers are "upgrading" so there are more old MKIV's around used. Plus the used CR market is just emerging now that those cars are getting to be 3-4 years old. When we were in the market in summer of 2011 we had to buy new because there was no used inventory, but that isn't true anymore.

My opinion on this car is that it probably won't fetch more than $6k based on the mileage.
good information. Thank you.