Proposal: Guided Roadtrip of Europe Summer 2013

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Given the fact that pretty much all the reasonably price rooms close to Arnage are already gone (noticed a castle for something like $10,000 night is still available) I booked a few cheapish rooms (~50Euro/night) about an hours drive away as these may not even last. I can cancel these later on if things don't pan out.

Now the question is back to who else is still up for this?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
TTT. That's great to hear that you've booked rooms provisionally near Le Mans. I just returned from an awesome trip to Europe and already looking forward to going back!!

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Hi Fred.
I know you need some decisions from us and I don't see many responses though you may have had some PMs, I guess. I'm trying to figure this out for myself. Your original post proposed 6/9 to 6/24 but for some reason I wrote 6/23 to 7/15 on my calendar. I probably screwed up but what are the dates you have been planning around? I know LeMans is the 23-24th so your original dates are probably the correct ones?
Also, would there be the opportunity for several people to go in on a rental car and save some cash? I like to drive but splitting the cost 2 or even 4 ways looks good to me.
Thanks for the work you have out into this.
JohnD

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Whether to schedule the trip around Le Mans at the beginning or end of the itinerary hasn't been fixed yet, but we are indeed targeting this trip around this event one way or another, so we are not looking to schedule it for other months in the calendar.

For me, either arrangement is fine, but what has been lacking is feedback. I'm trying to organize this around YOU guys, not me.

June is still not bad with regard to vacation crowds in Germany, since school summer holidays generally run from mid-July through August. On the other hand, most people in North America also take their summer vacations in July starting with the 1st (Canada) or 4th (USA) of July holidays.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the Le Mans race itself starts on Saturday afternoon and ends 24 hours later on Sunday; to make the most of the weekend, you should also plan to arrive on Friday at the latest and don't plan to rush to catch your flights home right after the race on Sunday (from Frankfurt, no less, 760 km / 470 miles away) so that you can got back to work on Monday.

From the standpoint of the destinations we would want to visit, it would be seem to be best ot schedule the trip with Le Mans at the very beginning or end because it is the geographic outlier. A third scenario of having Le Mans in the middle of the itinerary is also possible. This would seem to be near ideal, since we would start on June 16th, end (officially) on the 30th, and people can then choose to stay on longer through the 1st/4th of July holidays or go home to recover. :D Again the lack of feedback hampers figuring things out further.

Sharing one rental car among multiple people is certainly OK if such groups who are willing to do this can be formed.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Just ran across this thread.
There is no possible way for me to make this, but I decided to post anyway just to say that I am insanely jealous of those that are going and to subscribe to the epic journey ahead of you guys.

Jettaneeds

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan, 2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Yes, I too wish I could go. Have a trip to Munchen planned for October so a second is not going to fit this year. I would love to go. Moms from Gimmildingen, dads from Silesia, beautiful country. Uncle was in charge of all BMW dealerships in Germany before he retired. Would love the Le Mans event as well as the beer. Sounds like a wonderful trip, enjoy! Gerhard

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Wow! This would be my dream vacation. I just found this thread TODAY. If I had more time to plan my schedule ... and save some $$$ ... I would be in for sure.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
So will this actually happen in 2013? I've been watching with interest, but my available vacation will all be used up in 2013 by a New Zealand trip. If this becomes an annual trip, I hope I can be counted in for 2014.