PREMATURE FAILURES! Timing belt tensioners causing failures!

408TDIGUY

Vendor
TDI
99 beetle
It's really too bad when you offer to help someone, look up an invoice from over 3 years/>80K miles ago, locate parts receipt for that invoice, look up part number, specific brand, in order to help someone possibly spread the word to the TDI community of a possible defective tensioner out there, only to find out that the person you are helping is trying to throw you under the bus, for something that is just not true.

Graf Water Pump = NOT Chinese
FEQ Timing Belt Tensioner = NOT Chinese, nor a cheap brand. Definitely not $6.00. But I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

I just don't get some people sometimes... I'll let the text speak for the rest...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FEQ, or "First Equipment Quality" is most certainly junk. And most likely IS from China. That is Worldpac's cheapo line, and is horrible no matter what it is. :rolleyes:

BTW, Worldpac is currently selling the FEQ brand tensioner for the AHU engine for a whole $23. The SKF brand one is $36, which is clearly in the picture an OEM level one because it says "Litens" on the back. So, for a difference of $13, you get a destroyed engine. Nice....

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Man... soap opera themes are playing loud in this thread.

Moral of the story - don't use Chinese junk parts - mmmkay?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Just how does one pronounce "FEQ", anyway?....

Yeah, buddy, I finished the work. Your engine is totally FEQed now!

Clatta

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
It's really too bad when you offer to help someone, look up an invoice from over 3 years/>80K miles ago, locate parts receipt for that invoice, look up part number, specific brand, in order to help someone possibly spread the word to the TDI community of a possible defective tensioner out there, only to find out that the person you are helping is trying to throw you under the bus, for something that is just not true.
Thanks for posting another side of the story to this thread. You are doing good. It's a tough business and most of the people couldn't run a shop if they had to.

408TDIGUY

Vendor
TDI
99 beetle
FEQ, or "First Equipment Quality" is most certainly junk. And most likely IS from China. That is Worldpac's cheapo line, and is horrible no matter what it is. :rolleyes:

BTW, Worldpac is currently selling the FEQ brand tensioner for the AHU engine for a whole $23. The SKF brand one is $36, which is clearly in the picture an OEM level one because it says "Litens" on the back. So, for a difference of $13, you get a destroyed engine. Nice....
I stand corrected oilhammer. Thank you for the clarification. I had no idea. Ive never had a problem before but if this brand comes my way again I will steer clear.

Last edited:

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
The SKF tensioner (http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/028109243F) has a metal pulley.
Plastic pullies are probably cheaper. The Litens and other tensioners use plastic without problems.
Seeing that the toothed side of the belt runs on metal sprockets, running the smooth side on a metal roller shouldn't cause problems.
Whatt'ya think?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The SKF tensioner (http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/028109243F) has a metal pulley.
Plastic pullies are probably cheaper. The Litens and other tensioners use plastic without problems.
Seeing that the toothed side of the belt runs on metal sprockets, running the smooth side on a metal roller shouldn't cause problems.
Whatt'ya think?
The SKF tensioner uses a plastic pulley as well, in fact if you buy that SKF tensioner you linked to above you get a Litens tensioner in an SKF box.

Steve

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
I have that tensioner, good thing I broke it pulling my engine on a time crisis and bought a good one.... Lol

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
VW gets its tensioners from Litens. Belts are from Gates or Continental, occasonally Dayco. Genuine VW is nice, but don't assume it means VW made it. Our Gates kit has the same components from the same manufacturers.
...Just bought your TB kit for my 'new' '02 Jetta Wagon. :)