My Beetle TDI + CNG = Wicked Fast Road Racer

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
My Beetle TDI + CNG = Wicked Fast Road Racer
I hope, here are a few pics of the car with the cage in and seats.
I had hope to have done this year but my shop was very busy so it got pushed back

Now that is slowed down I bit I hope to start the build and work on to the engine and the added CNG injection system

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=579B2B9F61172AB4!768&authkey=!AEqVcG1oz54YuOg&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=579B2B9F61172AB4!769&authkey=!AAgNUKFzhMDqaHY&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=579B2B9F61172AB4!771&authkey=!AOW_S_Cjgm0PfHU&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
No cage to body gussets? Are you trying to build the car for a particular sanctioning body? Why is the main hoop so far back? No bar to tie together the rear strut towers?

Nice RX-8 seats. Are you planning on running a 5 or 6 point harness?

CNGVW

TDI
No cage to body gussets? Are you trying to build the car for a particular sanctioning body? Why is the main hoop so far back? No bar to tie together the rear strut towers?

Nice RX-8 seats. Are you planning on running a 5 or 6 point harness?
I had the roll cage kit for a min modified So I had to find the best placement.
It was all bent and cost less then just the the stock to build it.
The harness I thought there was some thing in the rules on coming through the seat??

The main loop placement is in the strong s part of the rear and were the rear swing arm mounts. And I do have one tall sponsor that is going to drive it.

I will have to add the seat adjustable back stop.
Two seats!! I will still street drive too, and a place for my wife so she can tell me where to go and she is only 5 ft tall and will drive it at the track too.

I am still with in the rules for lemon, an chump I think??, I still am adding a few more bars.

I did not add the rear bar, I still am adding the 9 GAL carbon fiber CNG tank to the back of the main loop.

Chump will not allow CNG so I would have to remove the tank for those races.

I would like any feed back on it.

The car has racing koni coil-overs red spring in front , rear koni racing with gray springs and adjustable spring bucks..
TT lower a control arms with there ballpoints
the spindles are stock for now but rimmed the outer tie-rod holes to flip the tie-rod to the bottom location.

I have a few members from the new Thompson Speedway club to help and will have unlimited track time for testing.

We will rerun the brake lines so it has a re control valve and gauge next to the shiftier.

I have Peters from IDPARTS.com tranny out of the race car. all tricked out.

I just got my TIG welder back from the shop so I can get back to making stuff.

Bob Mann

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
back in the 70-80 I build Pro Street Rods . And did all of of 1/4 mile street racing when it was fun.
Had a 70 MGB with a super charged 302 Ford did 10s at 130 MPH in street trim. And a
1981 Mazda RX7 with a Ford 460 tunnel ram triple NO2 running 9s at 140 MPH in streed trim.
Here in MA it will not need to pass a OBD test too old. Who would pull over a Beetle that would be silly .
Bob Mann

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
1854 sailor, There are cng powered cars how is this car not street legal and just licensed like a regular bug?

CNGVW

TDI
I am a Certified CNG Fuel System Inspector for North America so it will pass all laws for a duel fuel conversion. all me vehicles are CNG and are licensed and insured as CNG.

I will not be a every day ride but will be fun.

Bob Mann

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Are there ANY racing anythings that allow CNG??

CNGVW

TDI
Hello just to update.
For the racing groups some of the club groups say ok after a tech inspection.
For the Chump/Lemon must remove the CNG tank.
Peters from IDPARTS just gave me his racing seat out of his race Golf.
So that takes care of the drivers side. And some of the race teams from Chump looked at the cage and I will add the needed bars.

For the CNG injection system I started to install it on my 2002 Jetta loaner car so we can do some basic testing and mock up.
Here is the same system on our 2007 Power stroke
http://youtu.be/eSIGI_bMBxA?list=UUCdJaGSJgk_cBTyzuvnk3Sg
Bob Mann

CNGVW

TDI
I loaded some more pictures to this site ( just seams to take a long time)

I am still adding a few more bars.

Just some of the gauge kit

Here is the CNG kit installed on my 2002 Jetta loaner it is the same kit that will be installed on the race car.

Here is the Jetta with the injectors installed with the CNG regulator mounted and all the hose installed as well .
It is a very simple install it is called a post turbo system. The injection of the CNG gas is very close to the intake valves and combustion chamber . All most all other system are called pre turbo system they feed there CNG gas just after the air cleaners. There can be from 5 ft. to 10 ft. of air hoses, intercoolers and the turbo compressor and intake manifold tubing before the CNG gas makes its way to the combustion chamber and a lot of heat to deal with too.
I found a good spot for the Duel Fuel controller and wiring harnesses on top of the cabin air filter. This will keep the engine compartment very clean. As you can see there are just a few components to these advanced system. The 2 injectors the CNG gas pressure and temperature sensor on the blue hose. A vacuum hose running though the MAP sensor to the CNG 2 stage regulator. It reads the intake vacuum and turbo boost pressure and the CNG regulator adjust the CNG pressure to the injectors by the pressure in the small vacuum hose.
Bob Mann

Feinstaub_CH

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: Passat AVF 1.9TDI 4Motion, Stand by: Octavia 1.9 AHF
Hi Bob Mann

I am curious, is this the 2,900–3,600 psi CNG system?

Regards
Feinstaub

CNGVW

TDI
Hello it is the 3600 PSI system here in the USA.
The reducer just drops it down to 30-70 PSI for the injectors.
I hope to have the above Jetta running and testing this week.
Bob Mann

Feinstaub_CH

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: Passat AVF 1.9TDI 4Motion, Stand by: Octavia 1.9 AHF
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to think about the reducer. On the pic's it looked like a LPG system - therefore I asked :)

CNGVW

TDI
Ok DR. Volks is back, with all the snow here in the South Shore MA like 6 feet I got back to working on the TDI + CNG Road-racer.
We mounted a set of old slicks from Peters old Golf race car with the long stud kit,
I bought Peters race car Recaro Racing Seat and installed it was like new. Had to rerun the brake lines and add the the adjustable proportioning valve with gauge right next to the E brake.
Picked up some more roll cage tubing to run Chump racing we needed to add a few more bars.
I am going to add one more bar on the drivers side too and kick it out a bit more in to the door. We have more snow coming to night so Sunday and Monday may be race car build days. Now that the car siting on all four slicks on the ground it is starting to look like some thing.

here is the new top bar added and the front bar to front strut
[/IMG]
Here is were I tight it in to the strut area
[/IMG]
I may have to add or more one bar to pass for Chump racing rules say it must have 6 inch of space we have 4 inchs of space
[/IMG]
For the CNG part, have been testing the system on the Jetta every day for two months it has work flawless.
I could use some help here in Pembroke MA on the race car any one close by let me know. I will update the pic soon.
Bob Mann

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
When we run the CNG on the test car with a stock ALH we can run a 50%-50% split very easily. To run a 70% CNG 30% diesel we must tune the ecm.

I made a lot of progress on the car over the last snowy weeks.
The guys at Chump racing have been a real find on track set up .
Bob Mann

Tigger Welder

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Two thoughts:
1. If that front cage tube was about 6" further forward, that car would be a ton easier to get into and out of, but that is just my opinion, and I am old.
2. If you want to put camber plates on it the car, I make some that are very inexpensive. They only adjust camber, and the plate that welds to the car is pretty universal. I have them front and rear on my Datsun Z, but have done some for older VW's They are monoball and are $150/set That is pretty cheap, but I have three sets left over since I quit making them.

CNGVW

TDI
Welcome to the AARP club. The kit came bent for a mini stock and the cost was cheaper then I could buy the tubing for. I do have the TT lower control arms in, thay have a lot of adjustment and the Koni coil overs have the camber/caster adjuster tops. I have been getting a lot of feed back form some of the Chump racers that are running VWs and a few TDI cars on there car setup.

Bob Mann

CNGVW

TDI
Just to update the snow is melting so now is the time to work on the car.
I started to assemble the engine and hope to install this week end. This way it look more like a complete car and I will have a friend start to wire up every thing.
The engine is bored and has a set of good rods.
I picked up a new Head from www.IDPARTS.com and pulled it apart and did a racing valve job and ported it. Installed ARP head studs.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I got my TIG welder working so now I can make some cool parts. welded up a boss on the new oil pan to hold the oil temp sender .
I am booked to have a booth at thehttp://nedustoff.com/
Hope to bring the race car running and my 1996 VW Euro VW Winnebago that runs on CNG .
For the CNG system on the loaner Jetta it has been running great. I did tune the CNG system to the max for a test and it just lights up the tire every where. All most blow up the O1M, so that is all for now I plan to work on the race car all weekend.
Bob Mann
www.DRVOLKS.com
bobtec@comcast.net

CNGVW

TDI
Just to update the snow is melting so now is the time to work on the car.
I started to assemble the engine and hope to install this week end. This way it look more like a complete car and I will have a friend start to wire up every thing.
The engine is bored and has a set of good rods.
I picked up a new Head from www.IDPARTS.com and pulled it apart and did a racing valve job and ported it. Installed ARP head studs.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I got my TIG welder working so now I can make some cool parts. welded up a boss on the new oil pan to hold the oil temp sender .
I am booked to have a booth at thehttp://nedustoff.com/
Hope to bring the race car running and my 1996 VW Euro VW Winnebago that runs on CNG .
For the CNG system on the loaner Jetta it has been running great. I did tune the CNG system to the max for a test and it just lights up the tire every where. All most blow up the O1M, so that is all for now I plan to work on the race car all weekend.
Bob Mann
www.DRVOLKS.com
bobtec@comcast.net
Getting closer, motor all most put together I plan on putting the motor and tranny in the car this week so I can start to make up the inter cooler piping and wire it up.
Bob Mann

CNGVW

TDI
Update got the motor and tranny in with axles made up a new aluminum bumper

[/IMG]

Added front mounted inter cooler with 2.5 piping. I cut he top opening for the radiator too by 5 inches to get all the air I can in.
[/IMG]

here is what it will look like with the nose on .
[/IMG]

CNGVW

TDI
Update
I will be at the http://nedustoff.com/ May 31, 2015
To show off the car and have a booth to show my shop and tuning.
got the intake and all the pluming done
Cold intake layout
[/IMG]
Intercooler pluming
[/IMG]
To get the ETP in the right place I had to make up a plate to line it up
[/IMG]
started to lay out the CNG injection
[/IMG]
Hope to start the engine up this week
Could use some help on the car.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you're going bump your own thread, then this is advertising. Please move it to the vendor forum.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you're going bump your own thread, then this is advertising. Please move it to the vendor forum.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I thought you where banned for bad mouthing me in other threads. ??
As every one can see the car is coming along very well.
Strange, I thought you were the one banned for making thinly disguised advertisements outside of the vendor forum and misrepresenting the true ownership costs of your conversions? :confused: