WTB - VCDS Cable

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
That ad is wrong. Ross-tech only provides customer service to customers (that is to the person who purchased the cable from Ross-tech, not to the person who bought it from that person.....).

You CAN get the same customer service applied to a USED cable for $100.

Just buy a real one from the real people or their authorized dealers, then you know you won't get ripped off.

Bill

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Ripped off? Can you elaborate on that? Other than lack of tech support (which almost all problems can be solved via Google), a used cable is 100% functional. At least my second hand cable is.
Just bring a laptop with vcds loaded on when you go to buy the cable and check its functionality first.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Ripped off? Can you elaborate on that? Other than lack of tech support (which almost all probably can be solved via Google), a used cable is 100% functional. At least my second hand cable is.
Just bring a laptop with vcds loaded on when you go to buy the cable and check it's functionality first.
A second hand cable will work fine, but will lack factory tech support. The AD wrongly stated that the cable had lifetime tech support, which only THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER gets..... unless the subsequent owner(s) (anyone that is not the original purchaser) pays a separate FEE for the the support.

I did not say the ad was a rip-off. I said that if you buy directly from Ross-tech or their authorized dealers you can be assured you won't be ripped off.

Was the ad yours?

Bill

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Nope, not mine. Just trying to be helpful.

I opted for a used cable because of the outrageous shipping and handling Ross-Tech tacks on for Canadians (because the cable is so big and bulky, right? Lol!) Tech support didn't seem necessary to me given the vast amounts of info available on forums like this one and vortex. If the OP wanted a new cable, I'm sure he would just buy one from a supplier, but he posted here, so I'm guessing used isn't an issue.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Here is a list of the Canadian distributors for Ross-tech.

Auto-Know Inc.
248 Slater Crescent
Oakville, ON L6K 2C8
p: 1-800-665-8773 (US & Canada)

Automont Distributions Inc.
2120 De la Province
Longueuil, QC J4G 1R7
450-679-7470
Automont is also a Canadian distributor for Bentley CD's and Books.

Concept-1
18 Highfield Circle SE
Calgary, AB T2G 5N5

H2Sport
333 Mountainview Road S
PO Box 30022
Georgetown, ON L7G 6J8
905-702-8299

Impartex
2065 rue Muir
Sainte-Foy, QC G1V 4X8
418-681-0792

Roseland Technical Services
231 Wright Road
Stewiacke NS B0N 2J0
902-639-2777
Roseland is also a Canadian distributor for Bentley CD's and Books.

Cut and pasted from: http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html

BTW, the reason that companies charge the customer more to ship to Canada is that they themselves are charged outrageous fees (shipping/customs/etc.) to ship to your country. It isn't because they simply want to.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
BTW, the reason that companies charge the customer more to ship to Canada is that they themselves are charged outrageous fees (shipping/customs/etc.) to ship to your country. It isn't because they simply want to.

I buy many things from the US and pay a fraction the cost of what Ross-Tech charges to ship a cable that weighs a few ounces. - They wanted $55.
Last year, I bought a mountain bike, yes, a full mountain bike (21lbs) and paid $75 for shipping to my door.
I find it very hard to believe they aren't pocketing most of that $55.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Province of Residence *

ONTARIO

Choose a Category *

AUTOMOTIVE PART

Automotive Product *

Where was the Product Made? *

ELSEWHERE

Cost of the Product, including Sales Tax in USD? *
USD $ 350

Estimated Cost of Product in CAD $
CAD $390.76
Estimated Duty and Taxes in CAD $
CAD $88.33

Exchange Rate: 1 USD = 1.1164 CAD

Updated: September 27, 2014 at 8:53 pm
Source: Bank of Canada

Cut and pasted from:
http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

Does that help?

Bill

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
A second hand cable will work fine, but will lack factory tech support.
And as the original owner of a VCDS which includes "tech support", I am still waiting for an answer to a question I posed over 8 months ago. So tech support is not all what it is cracked up to be.

If that cable works, at $350 it is a lot cheaper than what I paid including exchange and taxes.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
BTW, the reason that companies charge the customer more to ship to Canada is that they themselves are charged outrageous fees (shipping/customs/etc.) to ship to your country.
BTW, shipping, customs duties (if any), brokerage and taxes are not included by US suppliers shipping to Canada. Those are paid by the purchaser.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
OR....$305 vs $350, a savings of $45.
The OP has a 2009, and he mentioned it was for personal use, meaning the Micro CAN will work just fine.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
And the seller of the $350 cable is in Barrie. So fuel, wear & tear & travel time are factors to consider. Depending on how much the OP's time is worth, a 2 hour round trip might not be worth the $73 savings.

Not to mention, tech support might not be a huge issue, but what about warranty? If the cable fails for any reason, he has a $350 paper weight. If he buys retail, he has a 1 year full exchange warranty.

We could go back and forth all day. I simply offered a suggestion. If he can find a reasonably priced used cable, then go for it. But IMHO, $350 is a bit too much for a used cable when a new one can be found cheaper (less compatability), or for not much more $$$ (more peace of mind).

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
We could go back and forth all day. I simply offered a suggestion.
No worries, Wingnut.

I automatically tune out to Canadian vendors simply because 99.9% of the time, their pricing is grossly out to lunch. And with free shipping within the US, it pays my diesel costs many times over for the short drive there. Then there is the no HST for my 48 hour stays. ;)

vwmikey99

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GLK 250 + 2017 Tacoma + 2014 Jetta
I bought mine here... The service was good.. it was about $400 +/- $10

Auto-Know Inc.
248 Slater Crescent
Oakville, ON L6K 2C8
p: 1-800-665-8773 (US & Canada)

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks I picked it up for $250. Explained to him about the $99 registration fee and he was like no problem

Time to play with the mk6
Don't bother with the registration fee.

As for the Ross-Tech forum, I have to give it a 2 out of 10 at solving issues or answering questions.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I've had very positive experiences with Ross-tech tech support. Even when they couldn't solve my issue I never felt it wasn't for a lack of trying or knowledge.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've had very positive experiences with Ross-tech tech support. Even when they couldn't solve my issue I never felt it wasn't for a lack of trying or knowledge.
The problem was someone who didn't identify themselves as a RT employee (Uwe with a join date of Jan 2014 - why would I think that member is a RT employee with that join date) wanted an Auto-Scan and I was always used to getting solutions as I have on this forum. By that I mean the usual open this window, click that icon, go to long coding...you know the drill.

Uwe should post a sticky on his RT forum explaining in detail why an Auto-Scan is necessary or helpful. Because as a tech myself, it wasn't obvious what could be gained from a module number or serial number or whatever else info he can gain from an Auto-Scan.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The problem was someone who didn't identify themselves as a RT employee (Uwe with a join date of Jan 2014 - why would I think that member is a RT employee with that join date) wanted an Auto-Scan and I was always used to getting solutions as I have on this forum. By that I mean the usual open this window, click that icon, go to long coding...you know the drill.

Uwe should post a sticky on his RT forum explaining in detail why an Auto-Scan is necessary or helpful. Because as a tech myself, it wasn't obvious what could be gained from a module number or serial number or whatever else info he can gain from an Auto-Scan.

Uwe has a join date of 2/24/2000.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4635065&postcount=3085

Bill

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Bill, he is talking about the Ross Tech forum, not TDI club. On the RT forum, Uwe's join date is Jan 2014:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?101-How-to-post-an-Auto-Scan
Exactly!

And before they all continued with being so infatuated with an Auto-Scan, maybe they should have explained "in detail" how it could be so useful.

For example, I can't see much info in the following. Now if someone in that thread explained it, the issue of the need for an Auto-Scan would have been solved.

By the way, I was asking where to look for the electric auxiliary heater.

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 5C0-820-047.clb
Part No SW: 5C0 820 047 BA HW: 5C0 820 047 BA
Component: J301 Klimaanlage 0204
Revision: 2001012S Serial number: 00000001412598
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 60CF5519B356611EFBD-8035

No fault code found.